ONE | YOU'RE LATE

❝ You're the biggest nerd alive

nerd alive. ❞

───────
ONE | YOU'RE LATE

"There you go," I handed the DNA analysis to the new guy and sat back in my chair, absentmindedly grabbing a pen and tapping on the desk with it, "the man you're looking for is Robert Simons, drug possession and burglary. There is evidence in the security camera of the shop plus the face recognition system confirmed it. He was seen for the last time in a bar on Bruckner Avenue last night. I hope this helps." I said and observed how the guy scanned the piece of paper in his hands, I sighed, "So?" He looked up at me, a smile crossing his lips.

"This is, just what I needed. Harlow, thank you so much, you have no idea of how Singh was this morning," he squeezed his eyes shut, "I've been working on another case and I totally forgot about telling you to run these," he said.

"Don't worry, just try not to be late to pretty much anything or you'll see him pretty pissed. It's just your first week here, everything will change soon."

"I really hope so. Okay, not to be late," he said, "I should go now before he's back, then. Thank you once again, I owe you one, Harley. Can I call you that?" I nodded. I didn't mind really, "Cool, see you around," the guy said as he jogged to the door. I spun around to face the computer. I took a sip of coffee and sighed before starting to do my stuff again. Remembering how my first day had been, it had been more than stressful to be honest.

I tucked a lock of hair behind my ear and grabbed a science magazine from the table nearby. The words: S.T.A.R. LABS PARTICLE ACCELERATOR, IS IT SAFE? plastered on the cover. I paged through it - not really reading a word since I had read the whole thing in one hour the day before. I liked science, but my lab partner was a little bit obsessed with it. I threw the magazine back to the table and got on my feet.

It was a normal day at the lab, I had run a few analyses that morning, tidied a bit to distract myself, there had been the typical drama you see in a police department - accusers yelling at everyone, some others trying to escape, that sort of thing - and now I was having my morning coffee, which was pretty much my every day routine.

I looked through the window, with my fingers brushing the warm mug in my hands. My eyes fixed on the skyline. It was a beautiful day, but I couldn't see that clearly, there was something that made it grey to me, even if sun was up. It was that time of the year again. I lowered my eyes and stared at the dark liquid in my mug, feeling that void in my chest as my mind took me fourteen years back, back to that night.

I pulled out the triangle pendant from under my blouse and caressed it. Remembering my mum's face when she gave it to me that night, the last night I'd see her. I blinked, shaking the memories off my head; I had to stop thinking about it or I would break down for sure.