FOUR | THE RUNAWAY SCIENTIST

❝ You makeme nervous

❝ You make
me nervous. ❞

───────
FOUR | THE RUNAWAY SCIENTIST

The elevator doors opened and my eyes met the pristine and familiar reception counter with a nurse sitting behind it. I stepped out of the elevator, straightening my bag on my shoulder and brushing my hands on my jacket as I made my way through the hallway. The door to Barry's room was open and new people had gathered around him, my eyebrows knitted together as my eyes fell onto a young man with shoulder-length hair and a keep-calm-be-a-geek t-shirt, he stood at the foot of the bed while an auburn-haired woman checked up on Barry and exchanged words with a man in a wheelchair, as for Joe and Iris, they were nowhere to be seen.

"What is going on?" My voice broke into the room, making everyone turn their heads to the door; I took a few steps forward, trying to understand what was happening.

"Wow, you're so pretty," the guy said, making me frown at him.

"Stay away from him," I ordered in a over-protective tone I didn't know I was able to produce and the guy with shoulder-length hair rose his hands in surrender. They stood still as I spoke, "who are you and what are you doing here?" They looked at each other and remained quiet, "If you don't tell me why are you here I'll call-"

"That is not necessary," the man in the wheelchair said.

"Who are you?" I questioned again. He approached with a hum of his wheelchair and I recognised his face from every newspaper in Central City, "Oh, my God, you're him . . ." I uttered between gritted teeth and almost inaudible.

"My name is Harrison Wells, this is Doctor Caitlin Snow and this is Cisco Ramon," the guy waved at me shyly, "they work for me at S.T.A.R. Labs . . . or what remains of it," Doctor Wells mumbled the last part, "we came as soon as we heard from Mister Allen's condition and your friends, Detective West and his daughter just gave me permission to take him there," I blinked, comprehending. In that exact moment Iris showed up, a cup of coffee from the cafeteria in her hand, "Everything is going to be okay now," he added.

"Are you taking Barry to that place?" I asked her, still not believing it. She walked up to me and sighed quietly, grabbing my hand and taking me with her to the window, "I can't believe you guys are doing this," I muttered.

"Harlow, it's the only thing we can do to save him," I shook my head, comprehending, "he's going to have better medical attention there," she said softly.

"What? Why? I thought he was doing just fine here, they said he was stable-"

"He had another episode last night," I gasped quietly and looked over to Barry, then lowered my head and placed my hand on my forehead, "Harlow, nothing's gonna improve if he stays here."

"Why didn't you tell me? You said you'd keep me updated. And, S.T.A.R. Labs? The place is categorized as a class four hazardous location," I butted in, "I know the decision is for you to make, you're his family, but, I don't know, look what that man did to the city, there's something that isn't right about all this, I just don't trust him," I whispered.