SIX | CITY OF HEROES

❝ Wait, are youjealous?❞

❝ Wait, are you
jealous?❞

───────
FIVE | CITY OF HEROES

Carefully, I put the small tube with blood into the centrifuge—that machine that allows platelets and blood plasma to be isolated from other blood components by spinning in a high speed, I call it spinning machine, though. I squinted at it and bit my lower lip as my finger pressed on the start button; I saw the tube inside spinning real fast and sighed in relief.

The last time I touched one of those, it broke down. I didn't say a word because how on earth was I going to explain it? I couldn't tell Singh that it magically got fried off when I touched it, I didn't even tell Barry, he was the one who found out it was broken, he managed to make it work once but it broke down again on the same day.

So, now I was doing my best not to destroy the new one. This thing I could do was taking its  toll, it was like it turned on whenever it wanted, however, I was starting to catch the drift of it, kind of.

As I waited for the blood sample to be isolated, I paced around the table. I had been eyeing the gun I had just finished getting prints off of for a while now. Shaking my head I told myself not to do something stupid and test my singular abilities in the laboratory since someone could show up and see me. I turned around and went to get a file from my desk and stood there, scanning the page in front of me. However, my eyes kept wandering back to the table with the gun. I bit my lip, "This isn't the place, Harlow," I whispered to myself, returning my attention to the file just for a couple of seconds before staring at the gun again. I was feeling the need to try and find out if I could make the gun levitate too.

I looked up at the door, making sure no one was coming in as I fidgeted with the gloves in my hands, still thinking whether to do it or not. I put the file down and walked up to the table and stood a few steps away from it, my eyes glued to the gun as I reached out in its direction.

"You can do this, just focus," I said to myself; my brow furrowed and my eyes almost bore a hole in the gun, my hand trembled; I could feel how the muscles in my entire arm tensed as I attempted to do something relatively impossible. A chuckle left my throat when I saw the gun move a little bit. Biting my lower lip, I reached out with both hands, trying my best to lift it. Then, it actually happened. The 9mm semi-automatic handgun rose slowly from the table.

"This is awesome," I said to myself with a big smile on my lips. I got to keep it levitating with one hand, it was surreal. How could that be possible? I questioned myself that almost everyday. I observed the weapon floating in front of me as my hand got closer to it and my fingers almost brushed the cold metal of the grip. I knew that understanding what I was able to do could take some time.

"I know exactly what I'm going to write about!" I jumped out of my skin when Iris came into the lab. I rushed to grab the gun that still was levitating and immediately turned around to face the brunette girl, raising my eyebrows as I tried to act normal. She frowned at me, eyeing me from head to toe when she was close enough, "Uh, what are you doing?" She asked with a small giggle at the end and I shook my head.