01 | to ignite your flame

The text message from Kevin had stated that it would merely be a small get-together. But as I pushed open the door to his apartment, I was overwhelmed by the mass of people inside. Way too crowded to be deemed small.

Kevin had wanted me to meet his teammates, since I wasn't quite the one for constant social gatherings. Despite being Kevin's best friend, I hardly knew any of his teammates. I was more of an introvert, shunning the spotlight and preferring the tranquility of insignificance.

My eyes darted around the room as I searched for him. Eventually, I spotted him standing in his living room chatting with two other people, presumably his teammates. Squeezing through the crowd, I carefully made my way towards them.

"Hi," I greeted, popping up beside Kevin. The three men turned in unison to look at me, and a massive smile formed on Kevin's lips. "Kaylie! Finally," he exclaimed, putting an arm around my shoulders.

As if on instinct, I could immediately feel the heat rising to my cheeks. It definitely wasn't the first time he would put his arm around me like that. Yet each time, I would feel myself blush profusely even though I knew better than anyone; I shouldn't be doing so.

"Kaylie, this is David and Thiago," he introduced, snapping me back to reality. I glanced at him nervously before returning their smiles with a smile of my own. "Nice to finally meet you Kaylie," the one called David said, "we've heard a lot about you."

I laughed, looking up at Kevin who flashed me a grin. Again, I felt my heart begin to race. "There is a lot to say about you," he chuckled. I smiled as he put his arm down. "Anyway," Kevin continued, putting his palm on the small of my back and leading me away, "have you eaten?"

"Well, I expected food here," I joked, "and I expected a small get-together." He held my gaze for while, before looking away, laughing. "You know Izabel has a huge network," he answered as we arrived at the snack bar.

I nodded, shifting my gaze towards the table, of course she does. She was after all, a world renowned supermodel. "She cooked all this?" I asked, scanning the wide selection of food. Kevin beamed proudly, "yup."

I was about to reply when Izabel's voice interrupted me. "Kaylie!" She called, a glass of wine in her hand as she strolled towards us. I pursed my lips together, smiling at her like I always did. Slipping her arm around Kevin's waist, she held up her glass.

"Want some?" She asked, her voice flirtatious and teasing. Kevin laughed, wrapping his arm around her and bringing the glass towards his lips. As I watched them, I could feel my heart drop. No matter how many times I had seen it, I had never quite fully accepted it.

Izabel turned her attention to me, holding the glass, "Kaylie?" I shook my head, "I'm good." She smiled, releasing her grip on Kevin. She spoke while motioning to the food, "well, eat up okay?"

"I'm here for the food," I admitted, earning a laugh from the both of them. "You always are," Kevin quipped. I shrugged, not bothering to defend myself. He was partially correct anyway.

"Join us for drinks after?" Izabel offered. I nodded, and she gave my elbow a quick squeeze before walking away. "Enjoy," Kevin winked before following suit.

I found myself sighing as I placed a sandwich on my plate. Ambling over to the kitchen counter, I decided I probably wouldn't stay for long. As I eased onto the stool, I caught sight of Izabel and Kevin standing among their friends.

They had their arms wrapped around each other, their faces inches apart as they giggled at whatever words they were exchanging. They looked so in love; and to be frank, it broke me inside every time I looked at them. Yet, I couldn't seem to tear my eyes away.

"You going to eat that?" I was startled by the sudden question aimed at me. Looking up, I was greeted by an unfamiliar face smiling gently at me. "You can have it," I uttered without thinking, pushing the plate toward him. He raised his eyebrows, almost taken aback.

Dragging it back in front of me, he chuckled, "I meant that you should probably eat it before it gets cold."  I watched as he placed a chicken tender on the plate. "And this too, since you look so down," he jested.

My forehead creased at his remark, "I do?" He nodded matter-of-factly, "what's bothering you?" I eyed him curiously. I hadn't a single clue who he was, yet he spoke like he had known me for ages. He smirked, probably sensing my apprehensiveness.

"I'm Marco by the way," he tried, "Marco Verratti." I paused for a moment, contemplating on whether or not I should introduce myself in turn. "Kaylie Stark," I eventually responded. Marco raised his eyebrows at me, not the reaction I had expected.

But his astonishment soon turned to eagerness. "You're Kevin's friend," he said excitedly, "I've heard so much about you!" I found myself grinning at him, "really?"

"Yeah," he said, occupying the seat in front of me, "I hear you're hilarious." Did Kevin say that about me? I laughed in sentimental approval. Before I could reply, Kevin's voice rang through the kitchen.

I turned to find him hurrying over. "Kaylie, I want you to meet someone," he held out his hand, beckoning for me to follow. I glanced at Marco, who flashed me a smile, "see you later, Kaylie."

Kevin led me to Izabel, who was speaking to a man as unfamiliar as the majority of the people present. "Thomas, this is my best friend Kaylie," Kevin introduced as the man turned to face me.

"Kaylie, this is Thomas," he said, as my eyes interlocked with the gorgeous blue ones before me.