09 | thought I knew you

Right after Thomas sent me home, I jumped into my car and drove off to Kevin's. The whole drive to his house I spent thinking; wondering what exactly I was getting myself into.

What was I doing? Why hadn't I just told Thomas no? Clearly I didn't know. But I did know, at that point, I just wanted to see Kevin.

Standing before his door, I took a deep breath and knocked. A few seconds later, the door opened, and Kevin stood there. A grin overran his lips when our eyes met, and a smile formed across my own face too.

"I assume you saw me bleed," he chuckled as I entered his apartment. I nodded, deliberately walking backwards so I could point to his wound, "I did, and it looked bad."

He shook his head, the smile still etched across his face. "It's fine, Kaylie, they fixed me up," he said coolly as I settled on a stool by the kitchen counter.

I watched as he grabbed two chocolate bars from the fridge. He tossed me one, before getting on the stool opposite of me. "Well, that guy was a dick," I remarked as we unwrapped our bars.

He let out a chuckle, "are you going to kick his ass for me?" I smirked cheekily, "I could do that." Kevin raised his eyebrows, feigning a look that translated to captivation.

I laughed, reading his expression exactly as it was, and playfully gave him a punch. "Don't worry, your best friend here will cheer you on," he quipped, prompting another outburst of laughter from the both of us.

In that moment, I was transported back to the days when we would do this all the time. When we would just sit around and joke about absolutely anything. The days before he became a distinguished goalkeeper. The days before he made that fateful decision, and left me.

As the laughter died, my smile slowly faded. Despite the fact that so much had changed, there was still one thing that remained. He was still my best friend.

And best friends had to be honest to each other, I told myself. So I shouldn't keep it from him, what happened that night. Right?

"Did Izabel give you the cake?" He suddenly asked, taking a bite from his bar. It took me a moment to reply him. "Yeah," I simply said.

He frowned, probably noticing the troubled look on my face. He tilted his head, reaching his hand out to take mine. "Something wrong, Kaylie?" He asked, lightly squeezing my hand.

I held his gaze, exhaling slowly. I had to tell him. "Kevin I need to tell you something," I began. His lips parted, and he looked at me anxiously. "Is it Thomas? Did he –" I stopped him by hastily shaking my head.

"No, Kevin. It's – it's Izabel," I muttered, watching as his eyes widened. I inhaled deeply, and slowly began recounting the events of that night to him.

By the end of it, Kevin's lips had parted slightly, and he was staring at me absolutely dumbfounded. I anxiously bit my lip, anticipating his response. Eventually, he spoke, his voice shaky. "Do you – have proof?"

"No, Kevin, you didn't expect me to record it right?" I replied, chuckling slightly before the smile faded yet again. He remained silent, tearing his gaze away from me.

When he turned back to face me, I could have sworn I saw a tinge of fury in his eyes. The question that followed only proved it. "How do you expect me to believe you if you have no proof?"

I found myself furrowing my eyebrows at him. I opened my mouth to speak but nothing escaped my lips. Instead, my thoughts were racing with questions. Was my best friend doubting me?

"Kaylie, you know how much I love Izabel," he began, his eyes boring into mine, "and how much she loves me. Why would she cheat on me?"

I shook my head, eventually finding my voice, "I'm just telling you what I heard."

"Well, maybe you heard wrong," he said, his voice condemning. He forcefully pushed himself off the stool, keeping his eyes away from mine. "Kevin," I quickly stood up, stopping him in his tracks.

"Why would I lie to you?" I asked, pressing my palm to his chest. We were standing only mere inches apart, his body so close to mine. I looked up at him, and frankly all I wanted was for him to envelope me into a hug, telling me everything was going to be alright.

But instead he sighed, as if irritated, and then said, "maybe because you're jealous."

Jealous? Yes, Kevin, I'm jealous that you belong to Izabel and not me. I'm jealous that you love her and not me. I'm jealous that right here right now, you're choosing her over me.

But instead, the words I uttered were, "why would I be jealous?"

He didn't even think before answering. "That she's a brilliant and amazing woman that you never will be?" His words hit me like daggers through the heart. I stared at him, shocked beyond belief.

I could already feel the tears welling in my eyes as he gently pushed my hand away. "Just don't go around accusing her like that, Kaylie," he mumbled before disappearing into his room.

Standing rooted to the ground, I didn't bother trying to hold back the tears that threatened to pour out. I let them fall. I let myself cry. Because the Kevin I used to know; he's gone.