02 | if you trust me

The phone sat quietly on the table, it's screen displaying my conversation with Cole. After staring at it for a good minute, Kevin shook his head beside me. "Tell him no," he declared.

Creasing my forehead, I crossed my arms over my torso. "Why?" I demanded, baffled as to why Kevin wanted me to reject the guy I had been crushing on for months. "I don't think he's the one for you," he exhaled slowly.

I raised my eyebrows at his response, and judging from the look on his face, he could tell exactly what I was thinking. "I know what kind of guy you deserve, and I don't think it's him," he pointed out, leaving 15-year-old me completely stumped once again.

Kevin knew how much I liked Cole, and he had no qualms with me speaking to him. Yet now, he was telling me Cole wasn't right for me? "How so?" I challenged, beginning to get irritated.

"You deserve someone who will go out all for his girl, and I know Cole. I doubt he'll do that," Kevin retorted, looking at me in disapproval. At that point I eased a little, watching as he picked up my phone. Holding it out for me to take, he shot me a small smile, "you trust me right?"

I eyed him cautiously, unsure of how exactly to respond. "Kaylie I promise you you'll find someone better," he uttered, creasing his eyebrows anxiously.

Taking the phone from him, I narrowed my eyes, "you promise?" Kevin nodded quickly, "I know exactly what kind of guy you deserve."

I chuckled at his reply, "if he doesn't come, I'm putting the blame on you."

Kevin made a face, taking offence to my remark. "I will search the seven seas for him if I have to," he frowned, earning a giggle from myself.

As we sat there laughing at ourselves, little did I know that the guy Kevin had been talking about, this guy I deserved; I had been staring at him the whole time.

⦁⦁⦁

"Hi," Thomas smiled warmly at me, his eyes boring right into mine. My eyes darted from him to Kevin, who frowned as he gestured for me to respond.

Clearing my throat, I pursed my lips together to form the most genuine smile I could muster, "hi." Without letting him speak, I tugged at Kevin's arm, "could you give us a minute?"

Before anybody could say anything, I dragged him away to where neither Izabel nor Thomas could see us. "Are you setting him up with me?" I whispered angrily.

"Yes I am, now let's go," Kevin nonchalantly said, yanking at my arm. I hastily slapped his hand away, "but I don't want to." I stood rooted to the group, furrowing my eyebrows as Kevin let out a sigh.

"Kaylie, he's an amazing guy. I think he's perfect for you," he tried, grasping onto my shoulders. My heart skipped a beat as he leaned closer to me. I gulped, trying to play it cool when honestly all I wanted to do was press my lips against his.

I forced myself to tear my gaze away from him. "No thanks," I scowled, turning my head away. But I should have known Kevin wasn't one to easily back down just like that.

"I told him to bring you to that Mexican place you love so much," his words literally made me snap my head back to face him. He smirked triumphantly as I furrowed my eyebrows, "Kevin Trapp, you did not just blackmail me."

He laughed, "take it or leave it. One chance only." A long and annoyed sigh escaped my mouth. "Fine," I submitted, shooting him a death glare. "I hate you," I muttered as I let him guide me back to Thomas.

"You'll love me," Kevin quipped, flashing me a cheeky smirk. I glanced at him, fully caught up in ushering me to Thomas, and a small smile graced my lips. I already do, actually.

After apologizing with a load of white lies, Kevin and Izabel sauntered away, leaving me all alone with my supposed date. "So, Kaylie, I've heard a lot about you," Thomas said, leading me toward the couch. I followed him, chuckling softly, "that's what they all say."

He smirked, and I had to admit he had a pretty charming smile. "Oh I thought I was original," he said coolly, to which I let out a chuckle in response.

Purely because I was forced to, we ended up chatting about everything and nothing at all for the rest of the night. I made sure to put up my greatest façade to seem interested. But clearly, I wasn't.

I hadn't planned on dating any of Kevin's teammates, and that plan wasn't going to change anytime soon. I already had my eye on someone, anyway.

Glancing at my watch, I feigned disappointment as I pushed myself off the couch. "I should get going, it's late," I lied as he stood up along with me. "Let me drive you," he offered.

"It's fine," I declined, a nervous smile etched across my face. "It's fine for me too," he persisted, placing a tender hand on my back. But I shook my head, laughing as I gently pushed him away, "Thomas it's okay, I promise."

Thomas stared at me for a moment, and I could have sworn he was going to bundle me up and throw me into his car right then. But thankfully, he only smiled. "Okay. I'll see you on Sunday?" He said, referring to our upcoming date.

I nodded, before turning for the door. I moved stealthily, not wanting Kevin to notice that I was leaving. He was always complaining about my lack of socializing and would have definitely forced me to stay.

When the door appeared in my sights, I let out a sigh of relief.

"Going so soon?" A voice from behind made me freeze in my spot, my hand still gripping onto the doorknob.