Chapter 4: Liz and Noah?

"It's not what it looks like!" Noah and I say in unison.  Noah quickly lets me out of his grasp and we both throw our hands up in the air as if Lucas was a cop pointing a gun at us. 

       "Seriously, Noah?" Lucas shakes his head disapprovingly, "You just met June and you're already making a move on her?" Noah shrugs and grins, "Besides, Mom says she's off limits."

       "Yeah, I'm off limits," I tease, "Wait, Nora said that?" I ask in disbelief.

       "Yeah, don't know why though."

       "Yeah, yeah, yeah, whatever.  And you wish I'd make a move on you," Noah smirks.

       "As if," I roll my eyes.  This guy aggravates me so much.  I'm no cactus expert, but I know a prick when I see one.

       "Mhm.."

       "You know, we should probably get studying," I change the subject, "You've got that test next week."

       "Yeah, let's go." Lucas replies.

       We head into the kitchen and sit on the bar stools by the kitchen island.  I try to keep my mind on Biology and off of Lucas as best as I can but he is sitting so darn close to me.  My stupid brain is making this a lot harder than it should be.  Noah sits across from us, busy on his phone.  I go over my Biology notes with with Lucas, explaining everything to him.  I quiz him a little bit, taking it slowly, but he says he still doesn't understand the terms.

       "I don't understand this," Lucas says, frustrated.  He runs a hand through his hair.

       "Hey, don't stress out about it," I say, "You just need to focus, okay?  Sometimes it can take a while to memorize all these terms.  Just try again."  This time I pull out the big guns, A.K.A. my color coded flash cards.  We go over the flash cards over a dozen times and after 28 minutes, he finally starts to memorize and understand the terms.  Each time I quiz Lucas, I see Noah discreetly saying the answer to himself.

       "Okay, explain the Phylogenetic Species Concept and give an example of an advantage and a disadvantage."

       "Uh," he thinks for a while, "It focuses on..agh!"

       "It's okay, take your time, you'll get it," I give him an encouraging nod and smile.

       "Okay. It focuses on..eveloutionary relationships between groups of organisms?" His answer comes out as more of a question.

       "Are you asking me or telling me Scott?" I grin.

       "Telling you? I mean, uh, telling you.  I'm wrong aren't I? You know what, this is no use, why don't you just go home, it's fine, I'll just wing it like I-"

       "It's right Lucas, you got it right," I smile.

       "I did?" He lets out a laugh and shakes his head, "I did!" He pumps a fist in the air and Noah gives him a fist bump.  I couldn't help but smile and admire his excitement.  This isn't something I see everyday.  I think I'm staring at him.  Oh well.

       "Ahem." Noah pulls me out of my staring session.  He furrows his eyebrows at me and I blush because he totally saw me staring at Lucas.

       "Uh, okay so now give an example of an advantage and a disadvantage," I say.  Lucas is about to open his mouth and answer, when the doorbell rings.

       "Ill get it!" Noah chimes and jumps off his seat and heads to the door while Lucas and I continue studying.  Seconds later I hear an extremely familiar high-pitched voice.