Chapter 3

The blonde man walked across the ledge casually, like it wasn't a foot or so wide, he stopped in front of us and stared down, seemingly irritated by our presence.

"I'm Eric, one of the leaders at Dauntless." He introduced himself.

I was shocked he was a leader, Eric couldn't be much older than us, but I assumed in Dauntless age wasn't a defining factor in someone's role.

"This is the members' entrance to the compound, if you can't muster the nerve to jump, you don't belong in Dauntless." he stated. We all glanced at each other, for once even the Dauntless-borns weren't as eager to prove themselves.

"You're asking us to do what?" The Erudite man, Nick, asked.

"I'm asking you to jump off this ledge." The leader seemed amused at the initiates fear.

"Is there water at the bottom or something?" the woman dressed in dark blue added, she seemed more confident, but not confident enough to jump first.

"Maybe, who knows really?" Eric was playing with a black ring on his finger nonchalantly. "Well, someone's gotta go first, who is it?"

A Dauntless-born was pushed to the front by his friends, Eric stepped off the ledge, those near him took a hurried step back. The Dauntless man laughed as he hopped on backwards, but instead of the flourish he was anticipating, he slipped back and plummeted through the air.

Eric rolled his eyes, then peered down. Apparently satisfied, he signalled for someone else to jump.

Reluctantly, I joined the back of the queue, Maddie grinned over her shoulder. Whilst she was bouncing on the balls of her feet, I was trying to anchor myself to the ground.

Too soon, the twenty seven other initiates had jumped, leaving me alone on the roof with no reason not to. Inhaling shakily, I willed myself to step on the ledge. The wind buffered me from all sides as I stared down into the black cavern, even from the ledge I couldn't see what would break my fall.

I took a step back.

"Careful, initiate." Eric warned, his low voice carried across the wind, he seemed solid and unbothered by the gusts sweeping the rooftop as he balanced on the ledge beside me.

If I stepped back off the ledge I was factionless.

I knew Eric was watching me, but I couldn't look at him.

I closed my eyes and let the wind guide me forward.

Screaming filled my ears as I plummeted towards the ground, it was soon blocked out by the rushing of blood in my ears.

Something taunt snapped around my body and I bounced towards the centre of the net.

A net.

Laughter bubbled in my throat and I couldn't help but release it, unrestricted and filled with a relief and happiness I hadn't felt in a long time.

A persons' hand reached out for me, I grabbed it and they hauled me off the large net and lowered me to the floor. "Initiate, welcome to Dauntless." The man said, his voice familiar, though it wasn't until he stepped out of the shadows that I was aware who he was "what's your name?"

Tobias.

"Sasha," I stated.

"Sasha." Tobias announced to the crowd filling the space between the rough rock walls and metal railings that held the net in place. "Welcome to Dauntless."

.:.

"Dauntless-borns go with Lauren, I'm hoping you don't need a tour of this place, transfers stay with me." Tobias ordered. I watched him carefully, he had changed since the last time I had seen him, he no longer looked sickly and exhausted, an air of respect hung about him.