Chapter 10

"Initiates get up, I want you all by the tracks in five minutes." Tobias yelled in the dorm, turning the bright lights on, I lifted my watch to my face and peered at the time, wincing as my eyes refused to adjust to the light.

What the fuck is happening at two in the morning?

Groggily, I sat up in bed, I ran my hand over the blankets, confused.

"This must be why the Dauntless-borns were excited at dinner," Maddie frowned, pulling a black sweatshirt over her head, she glanced down with bleary eyes and noticed it was inside out.

I wasn't sure exactly how I had made it back to bed, I didn't remember walking or being woken, the last thing I could remember was being in Eric's apartment. I peered over the bottom of the bed frame and found my dirty clothes folded neatly on the lid of the trunk.

"Maddie, did you see who brought me here?" I swapped out the sweatpants for a clean pair of cargos and shoved my feet into the boots beside my bed.

"You were already in bed when I came back from dinner." She explained, tossing my jacket at me.

I caught it as I rose to my feet and pushed the thought from my head, it didn't matter now.

The tunnels were still busy as we rushed towards the tracks, forcing us to push past members as we ran, they didn't seem bothered or surprised, maybe partially due to the fact that it was a Friday night and the people we passed had bottles or cups in hand more than not.

Maddie and I are one of the last to the tracks, but through the gaps in the crowd I spotted my brother, a large bag slung across his back.

"Alright, shut up and listen!" Tobias yelled, a hush fell across the group, "we're going to take part in a little Dauntless tradition."

"You can't really call it little." Eric contradicted as a handful of the Dauntless-borns cheered. I noticed the train lights in the distance and seconds later the loud foghorn sounded, alerting everyone of its presence. "When we're on the train Four will explain the rules."

The group broke out into a run, unfortunately, I was at the back as a stream of black hopped through the doorway. I picked up my pace and fell in step with the doorway, a darkly dressed figure swung out the doorway and offered a hand.

I grabbed their arm and they pulled me in.

In the light I noticed the distinctive maze tattoos that extended to their elbows, I looked up at Eric "thank you."

"No problem... Is that my shirt?" he asked in a low tone.

My cheeks felt hot. "Maybe."

"Okay." Eric raised an eyebrow, an ambiguous smile playing on his lips, before heading over to my brother who was standing by the black bags dumped on the floor, his arm braced against the side of the carriage as it rocked gently.

"The game is simple, Capture the Flag!" Tobias' voice easily filled the carriage. "We will be splitting into two equal teams, one team will jump off at the start of the pier and the other will jump at the end, both teams need to find the other teams flag. First team to get the other team's flag wins."

"What do we win?" A woman's voice called from the back.

Tobias scoffed. "Bragging rights."