Chapter 9

I was worried I was beginning to lose my sanity.

I felt restless in my bed, when I slept I saw Marcus, when I was awake I envisioned the fight board, I counted the seconds that passed by in my head until I felt like I was going mad.

My watch read that it was almost five, so I slid out of bed and headed to the bathroom. After sharing a dorm with so many people for almost seven weeks I was no longer self-conscious but I still changed quickly into a pair of black cargos and a tank top. As I passed by my bed I picked up the sweatshirt I pilfered from my brother, the compound was freezing this early in the morning.

By the time I had finished rolling up my sleeves the dining room was in sight.

There was no hot food available but I had my pick of fresh fruit, I grabbed some strawberries and raspberries and a banana and found a space at table in the corner. I ate my food and a glass of orange juice before I re-braided my hair, creating two plaits woven tightly against my scalp.

A plate with a large wedge of yellow sponge dusted with icing sugar was placed in front of me with another glass of orange juice.

"I'm not hungry, Tobi." I muttered as he took the seat opposite me, I pushed the cake towards him, he sipped his coffee.

"Just give it a smell."

What?

I stared at him.

Tobias moved the plate towards me again.

Rolling my eyes, I held the plate up to my nose and my eyes widened at the scent of vanilla and nutmeg, something I hadn't smelt since being in the kitchen with our mother. Every month she spent the morning baking for this cake for the factionless, Tobias and I were young enough to be able to sneak our own slice, if our father wasn't home, with minimal scolding.

"That's what I thought." He smiled as I broke the cake into chunks. "Didn't sleep?"

"Nope."

"Nightmares?"

"Yep."

"Marcus?"

"Of course, when isn't it?"

"When it's everything else."

"Fair point."

.:.

I was paired with Ruby. My fight was first.

I looked a bit further down and saw that Jake was paired with Lucia and Maddie with Nick, I was sure Jake could win his fight and Maddie hadn't lost one yet.

"I can swap you out if you'd like." Tobias offered, to even out the fights today Hayden would be fighting a Dauntless-born, and as much as I'd like to see Ruby lose, my own sense of misplaced pride wouldn't be happy with hiding in the back.

"I can do it." I assured him.

My brother didn't look convinced.

I headed to the bags, gently warming up so I didn't put too much pressure on my ribs.

My practice was interrupted shortly after it began, Eric used his body to shield us from the other initiates. "Ruby leaves her stomach undefended, she also doesn't move her feet as much as she should."