the ultimate choice.

*6 Months later*

Scarlett's POV:
It's been half a year since I met the two loves of my life. But it's time to pick one. I can't keep dragging them along like this.

Josh's POV:
She told us she's going to pick one of us. Today. Now.

I look outside at the starry night.

I remember the numerous times Scarlett and I spent looking at the sky. I remember making snow angels with her. I remember waking up every morning to make her blueberry pancakes. I remember the night we first met and how from the moment I saw her walk into that bar, I couldn't get her out of my head. I remember when I realized I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her.

I knock on the bedroom door.

"Yeah?" she asks as she opens it.

"I just wanted to give you this. I want you to wear it when you pick one of us tonight. You look beautiful in it and I don't care who you pick, this dress deserves to be worn by someone as amazing as you." I tell her as I hand her the same little black dress from the boutique months ago. I had bought it that night and was waiting for the right occasion to give it to her. Now seemed as good a time as any.

She gasped.

"J-Josh I-" she begins.

"Before you say I can't accept this, I already ripped the tag off and burned the receipt so you might as well wear it" I smile at her.

She hugs me long and tight. I wrap my arms around her and hold her close.

I loved her.

But it was time for her to make her choice.

So I turned my back, and walked away.

Tyler's POV:

She's gonna pick one of us. Today. Now.

I wanted her to pick me. I wanted her so badly to pick me.

I know my love for her was selfish. Josh met her first. But I couldn't help myself.

I remember the first time I saw her that morning, how beautiful she was. But it wasn't just her beauty. I remember the night we spent together in the forest in the snow. I remember the long walk we took and talking about our lives. I remember the excitement in her eyes when she unwrapped the ukulele I gave her on Christmas morning. I remember comforting her when she cried. I remember when I realized I wanted to spend the rest of my life with her.

I couldn't see a future with her, but that's because we don't have our lives planned out. We would make spontaneous decisions and our fate would never be determined for us.

I loved her.

I didn't ever want to let her go.

Scarlett's POV:

After I made the choice, I was supposed to go on a date with the one I chose. I sat down on the bed and cried. Normally, this would be the time when Tyler would be comforting me, or Josh would be making jokes to cheer me up, but I didn't want any of them right now. I just needed some alone time before I made my decision.

Josh.

Josh was the perfect choice. I saw such a bright and fulfilling future with him. He was the one who rescued me that first night in the bar. He took me under his wing. He was the ideal choice.

But Tyler.

Tyler made me feel different. I was sad but I loved the feeling. But is that healthy?

I don't know.

I changed into the dress. I walked into the living room.

They're both sitting on the couch and they stand up when they see me enter.

I walk in front of them.

"I-I want you to know that I- this decision has been the hardest one of my life. But I wouldn't have it any other way. I love you both so much. Words can't explain. But I can't have you both, it's selfish and wrong. So I am going to pick the one who I can see myself spending the rest of my life with".

Silence

"I pick Josh."