Zane x Gene Ch.1

"Gene!"
"Get away from me Zane..." Gene groaned and rubbed his temples as he heard a rather annoying male high pitched voice from behind. Of course it wasn't just higher pitched, it was stuffy and whiny, something you'd expect from an annoying cartoon character. The junior turned around with a pissed off expression, his tanned face meeting a masked, one eyed pale, excited one. Zane had been doing this for a while now...ever since the beginning of the school year the little gothic freshman had been trying so hard to get Genes attention or try to become a shadow knight. What was a shadow knight? Well they were basically the kids who skip school and often bully others. It was only Gene and his two friends Zenix and Sasha though...most kids were either too scared to join, or cared too much about grades and being good, things that the Shadow Knights despised. Well they cared about knowledge, the school just didn't teach what they wanted to learn. But that was different with Zane...he didn't care the consequences, he just tried so hard to be like them, to the point where it was VERY annoying. Not only was he two grades below and much younger, but his voice was just so squeaky and annoying...Gene glared down at the smaller pale freshman, crossing his arms.
"Shouldn't you be in class?"
"Nope." Of course he'd skip just to try and be around him...The older junior narrowed his deep dark teal eyes and turned to face Zane. He looked like a little idiot...Zane looked like a little oddball. His skin was pale, yet he had charcoal black hair..as well as being short and one of his icy sky blue eyes being hidden by a tuff of hair he kept over his face. One thing that made Gene curious though, was the black mask he wore. Well, it looked more like a black bandana he had, but it covered his lower face, only showing his nose and up....For a while Gene had been tempted to just reach down and rip it off of his face, just to see what he hid under it, as well as move his hair to see his other eye. But he didn't like the idea of touching the younger freshman. But his personality was what annoyed Gene the most. Zane was desperately stubborn, as well as pleading and often groveled to the older Junior. Now that was his attitude towards Gene only...to others, he was cruel and isolated himself most of the time. He as well was quite rude and got fired up easily. The fact that he was so sweet to Gene embarrassed the junior. Gene leaned down a little, his voice getting a bit angrier.
"What point of, get away from me, don't you understand, little scrub?!"
"Uh...I dunno." The freshman didn't seem phased at all by the junior, if anything, all he did was shift to the side and bit and tilt his head. Gene could tell he was smiling under that mask though...just from how his eyes sparkled and opened wider.
"Here, let me put it in a more simpler tone.." Gene reached down and grabbed the freshman's mask on his face, tugging his head upwards...it seemed to be tied tightly around his head, for it wouldn't come loose. Zane squeaked timidity and reached up to try and keep his mask from coming off, for one an expression of fear on his face. Fear of Gene, or fear of loosing the mask?
"Stay away from me."
"B-But-!"
"No buts! The school year is almost over, so don't go ruining my last days!" Gene threw the younger freshman to the ground...and honestly wanted to growl angrily as he stood back up and dusted himself off. Yet Gene kept that calm demeanor of his, and merely rubbed his temples with a sigh.
"I just want to be like you..."He looked back to the pale freshman...Zane was facing the floor with a sad twinkle in those icy blue eyes.
"You'll NEVER be like us...you NEVER join us-"
"B-But...I just want friends who understand me...you guys are like me-"
"....shut up. We aren't like you-"
"Y-You don't even know me personally!"
"I don't need to, to know you're nothing but an annoying, pesky little bug..." Gene got closer, his voice growing darker.
"You'll NEVER be our friend..." Gene was quite surprised...he had made the little freshman cry. Zane felt his icy blue eyes watering, well at least the one that worked, and hurriedly lifted his sleeve to wipe the tears away, but they kept coming. Gene watched, a growing satisfied expression on his face. When Zane cried, his nose and cheeks got red, and his head lowered, not to mention his already stuffy voice got all choked.
"I-I...-"
"Just go to class, you little crybaby." Not another word was said from the freshman, before he turned around and ran away, trying not to break down in front of the junior. Gene smirked to himself as he watched Zane run away crying...but something stung his heart...why? He just made the biggest annoyance in his life cry, why did he feel bad? Gene looked to the ground with a thinking expression...and blinked. Something...something he had seen recently reminded him of Zane...something he saw on the way to school...what was it again? Gene shook his head, he'd walk the route he took to get to school back home, maybe he'd see it again.
----------------(time skip to last period)----------------
So...last periods bell would go off in a few minutes, and Gene hadn't seen Zane at all. Even in the halls or in the classes he should of been in. He wasn't even at lunch. Meh...who cares? He probably ran home to his mother or is hiding in the bathroom. But still, the thought of the 'something' Zane reminded him off still buzzed in his mind...he set his head on the back wall as he tried to think. Of course he, Zenix and Sasha had skipped the class periods and were sitting out in the main lobby. The more hotheaded and aggressive brown haired shadow knight known as Zenix had noticed how Gene had been acting. Of course the leader had told the other two what he did to Zane, but they expected him to be smirking and proud, not quiet and constantly having that thinking expression.
"Gene. GENE!!" Zenix gave the leader shadow knight a hard elbow to the side, forcing him to awaken from his thoughts.
"Aowch! Zenix! What the hell do you want!?" The boys glared at eachother before the calmer Sasha stepped in.
"You haven't spoken much since you put Zane in his place. What is on your mind Gene?" Gene relaxed and blinked, scratching the back of his neck before setting his head back again.
"....Does Zane...remind you two of anything?"
"Eh? What kind of a question is that?" Zenix asked, now cooled down and laying against the sofa.
"Today when he cried...I remembered something. I think I saw something this morning that reminds me of him...it's been buggin me all day."
"Perhaps a bug?"
"A fly probably.."
"No no nothing that's an insect." Gene shivered...if there was one thing he hated, were little creepy bugs...but it certainly wasn't something like that.
"Meh..I'll worry about that on my way home. For now, any of you got any food?-" Gene was interrupted by the last bell of the day. He puffed his tanned cheeks a bit before standing up and shifting the bag on his back.
"Nevermind, I'll see you two tonight at the spot. I'll text ya if I find what I'm looking for." He gave a halfhearted wave and walked away from the other two, who of which were heading to the busses instead of the back way. Gene paid close attention to his surroundings as he went on his way home. Nothing seemed to stand out though...that is until he got to a crosswalk. He pushed the button and sighed as he waited for a 'walk' sign came up...but he happened to look over. He was next to a flower shop. There was a little girl and her mother, looking at what looked to be a single black rose.
"Moma? Why doesn't anyone want this one? Can we-"
"A-Absolutely not! Black roses have so much bad lore behind them darling...plus, just look at that thing. It's so dark and deserted...it looks like the flower you'd give someone if you wished harm upon them. Come on dear, let's go get a red or white one." Gene listened in...and blinked as the two walked away from the small flower shop. He stepped away from the sidewalk and over to the small outside pot. The black rose was small...but the petals curled at the tips beautifully, and it looked so elegant and mysterious. It seemed though that it had yet to bloom. Gene reached down to touch the small Rose's stem, his fingers just barely brushing against the stem.
"A-AOW!!"
"Careful kid, that ones got nasty thorns..." The man at the counter said as he watched Gene try to touch the Rose. The junior pulled his hand back and looked down. Two cuts in his thumb and pointer finger, now heavily bleeding. He sucked at his fingers to get rid of the blood...but suddenly froze...he got a bit closer to the Rose...and took in every detail. This was it...this was what reminded him of Zane. So small and defenseless at first glance, but had the bearings to send you into shocking pain...so dark and deep...no one wanted it. Everyone stayed away or spoke badly about it for how it looked. It could put a curse on you, or maybe it could be a bad omen...maybe He would be dangerous...Everyone hated the Rose for how it looked, but how would it look...if nurtured and bloomed? Would it open up to your care, or would it sting you with its jagged thorns? The man noticed Gene's now shocked and nervous expression, and blinked.
"You want it?"
"U-Um...how did you get it might I ask?" Gene held his pricked hand in his other and turned to the man at the counter.
"I honestly don't know...I planted three roses last year when I opened up shop. When i came back, two of the roses were white, and this one was black...it's been here all year, yet no one bothers to get it." Gene felt his heart sink...Garroth and Vylad were the white roses...and Zane was the black rose. Perhaps...was he too hard on Zane? Was he judging him by his look before he got to truely know him..? Gene had too many emotions stinging him at once...but one thing was for sure. With the prick, came the realization that this Rose represented Zane. Dark, Misunderstood, and Lonely...
"I'll take it. How much?"
"Hahaha! How much, what kind of a question is that!?" Gene cocked an eyebrow as the man at the counter began to laugh at him. Once he calmed down, he smirked and shook his head at Gene.
"The price is your care. Take it kid, and don't bring that thing back."
"Uh...thanks Sir.." Gene was a little creeped out, but lowered down to pick up the brick colored pot the Rose sat in, before rushing home to give the small thing some water. Avoiding his mother and little brother Dante, Gene managed to sneak into his room and set the pot on his desk. It was still a closed, and looked close to withering. Without speaking to anyone else, Gene rushed downstairs. He grabbed a cup of water, and a big bowl of dirt from his backyard. Gene grabbed a different pot, one that he had used previously to store pencils and pens in. It was black with white speckles he had painted last year to match his room. He filled it with the fresh soil, and...turned to the small rose. He was nervous, but had to help it. He reached down into the dirt of the pot, carefully trying to pull it out with the roots without hurting it. He cringed and yelped in pain. The roots were covered in thorns. He pulled it out of the dead old soil, and set it in the other pot, making sure the hurtful thorns were all tucked in. He poured some water in, but set the cup down and looked down at his hands. They were dirty, and bloody from the thorns. He cringed and ran to his bathroom, carefully washing his many wounds and setting some bandages over the more severe ones. He sighed and walked back In, sitting at his desk and looking at the small rose...
"That hurt, ya know..." He sighed and reached up, trying to perk one of the small leaves on the stem, only for it to flop back down.
"I'll take care of ya...Heh...look at me, talking to a flower that reminds me of a pest." He chuckled, but to his surprise, the flower reacted. The Rose seemed to wilt more, the leaf he had touched falling the soil, leaving only two bigger ones and a small one attached to one of the bigger leaves. Gene gasped and frowned...oh right, plants had feelings. Well...he had heard that from his mother, who used to love gardening. Gene sighed and rolled his eyes.
"Ah...sorry..." The flower didn't react this time...
------------(Next morning, 20 minutes before first bell)-----------
"Mrs. Hyria?"
"Eh? Hello Gene..." The magik teacher blinked and turned to the black haired junior. She cocked an eyebrow...in his hands was the small black pot, with a small black rose.
"The doors don't even open for almost a half hour, how did you even get in?"
"I-I maaaaay or may not of climbed through a window...but that don't matter, do you know anything about flowers?" Gene walked over to her and set the small pot on her desk and crossing his arms. Mrs. Hyria looked to the Rose and back to the boy, giving a huff.
"Never thought you'd be interested in gardening..."
"I wanna help it bloom." Gene answered simply, already embarrassed enough by showing his face to a teacher and asking for help. Specifically one he had been skipping her classes for the while year. Hyria rolled her eyes and sighed, reaching over to check the Rose, but pulling her hand back at the sight of those flared out thorns.
"To be honest kid, this Rose looks like it could wilt at any minute. I might have a spell to make it bloom though..." The old witch teacher pulled out her staff and waved it a bit, before saying a small phrase in an unknown language. Gene watched as a white light surrounded the flower. He smiled slightly as the light faded away...but it turned into a disappointed frown. It looked like the spell had no effect on the little flower.
"Huh, I guess this spell doesn't work. Sorry Gene, even with all the magic in the world, this things gonna die soon." She said cruely to the junior. Gene shuttered and lowered his head, before picking up the pot and walking towards the door.
"Thanks anyway..." He frowned and walked out into the hallway. He still had about 13 minutes until the bell rung, so he had some alone time. He walked into the boys locker room and sat on one of the benches, setting the Rose next to him and sighing. He took a bit of water from the water fountain, and poured it onto the soil to give the flower it's drink too...but he went quiet...there was another sound. He looked behind him...echoing through the locker room, was the sound of someone crying softly. Leaving the flower in his open locker, he walked around to try and find the source, and soon came to a locked locker in the corner. He walked over to it and quietly listened, his eyes widening. He knew that voice and cry....it was Zane. The freshman was locked inside, and was sobbing pitifully. He sounded so tired and miserable. Gene frowned...remembering the Rose...this would be a perfect time to try and figure out if THIS rose...could be bloomed. He gave three small knocks on the door.
"H-Hello!? Is someone out there!?! Please let me out, I beg of you!" Didn't need to tell Gene twice. He leaned down and lifted the lock to the locker. But now that it was unlocked, the door swung open and Zane fell out...right on top of Gene. The two boys yelped and blushed like tomatoes as they hurriedly backed away from eachother. Gene felt his heart crack a little....the freshman looked absolutely exhausted...his icy blue eye had a red hue from crying, and his face, or at least what he could seen was wet and stained with tears. Not to mention his hair was all scuffed up and more messier than normal. Gene examined further...He had been beaten up. The pale freshman had bruises on his arms and due to no treatment, his bloody nose was a mix of red and purple. There was more, such as a bite mark on his hand.....Gene clenched his fists...Balto did this...But he then looked to Zane's expressions. He looked absolutely terrified, as if he was staring into the eyes of the devil himself. He as well was STILL crying, probably from being so hungry and thirsty from being in there all night...plus also from pain of his wounds and what Gene had did to him yesterday. That was it...he didn't care if Zane was annoying or of his own reputation...when he made the connection between the freshman and the Rose, he understood....Zane was all alone...and bullied because of his looks and likings, when...perhaps if he had some actual care....would he open up?
"....Come here..."
"N-No! Don't touch me! Don't hurt me!" Gene reached forwards to pull the younger teen to him, but gave a yelp of pain. He pulled back and looked down. There were three streaks on his arm. They were about to bleed, and he looked up. The frighten teen had scratched him...just like the small defenseless Rose had pricked him...Gene wasn't mad though, he knew the small boy was scared, no, terrified...petrified of being hurt again. Gene gave a breath to gather himself, before trying to calm Zane down.
"Listen kid...I won't hurt you-"
"Y-Yea right! You have no reason to even try and help me! YOULL JUST HIT AND PUNCH ME!!! YOULL JUST LAUGH LIKE EVERYONE ELSE!" The teen yelled, hiding his face in his hands as Gene got closer. Just like the Rose who had flared out its thorns to protect itself, Zane tried scratching or crawling away when Gene grabbed him. But Gene didn't let go. He had dug his hands into the thorn filled soil to help the Rose...and he'll do it again, and again...no matter how long it will take. He pulled the smaller teen into his arms and held on tightly as the other thrashed and tried to get away. He suffered through kicks, punches, scratches and even bites, Zane didn't wanna give in. It literally took almost ten minutes....before the freshman had gotten too weak and tired to squirm more. But once he stopped squirming, and the bruised Gene looked down at him...he started to sob and cry.
"P-Please.....don't h-hurt-"
"I won't...just..calm down...and let me help you kid..." Gene interrupted him with a confusingly soft voice. Zane shifted and looked up into the larger teens dark teal eyes. Gene was known for lying and back stabbing people...but no sense of mischievousness or humor in those eyes...if anything, they were so calming and soft...in fact, they made Zane a bit sleepy...even then though he was exhausted from crying and screaming for help all night, all he needed was sleep....Gene forced back a soft smile as he watched the younger teen get sleepier and sleepier, before he gave in and lowered his head. Gene shifted and held Zane so his head was against his chest, and that he was holding him. He had overcame the thorns..and had gotten to the inner stem. Gene knew he'd need to help Zane, but not at the school...he needed to take Zane where Gene could clean him up without anyone seeing, a place where he could try and get to tame this thorned rose...

A place to be alone...~