Zane x Gene Ch.6

"I-It's the nurse!"
"Shit! What are we gonna do!?"
"U-Uh um..hold the door shut?"
"Hurry guys hide!" Gene hurriedly backed away from the door as the knob began to twist. The four behind him stumbled backwards, before scattering to their chosen hiding spots. Sasha hid under the Nurse's desk, while the other four decided to go for the closets on either side of the room. Zane and Gene hid in the left, while Zenix was shoved into the right with Dante. Gene clamped a hand over Zane's mouth softly and held him still. He was sitting down with the emo freshman...in his lap. Gene gulped a bit, his cheeks blushing softly. He however attempted to stay quiet and still, one arm around Zane's chest while the other was against his masked mouth. Zane shakily looked up to the Junior, not making any sound other than his breathing. True, it was a very risky and 'different' position, but it kept them hidden under the hung up nurse gowns. Gene's ocean teal eyes fell to the crack in the doors, squinting to see the other closet. The nurse by now had came in with her assistant, the lights were on and she sat at her desk. Thankfully, her desk had one of those overhangs, so she couldn't see the silver haired sophomore hiding underneath. In the other closet...things weren't exactly very calm..Zenix and Dante were in a VERY awkward position in the smaller closet. Unfortunately, due to the size of the tiny closet, they had to be leg to leg facing each other, their knees pulled up against their chests and their faces uncomfortably close. Zenix felt his hair spiking up as he stared into those terrified indigo eyes. That stupid..adorable grin...it appeared that whenever he was scared or put into a tense situation, Dante automatically grinned out of fear. To be honest, Zenix wanted to slap that smile off his face...but knew that any movement could make noise. Gene watched the other closet, silently begging and praying to Irene that Zenix wouldn't decide to have a hissy fit. He however looked down to Zane, blushing softly and giving a slight nervous smile. Of which, due to his naturally sly looking face...looked more like an attractive smirk to the freshman. Zane was so thankful that his cheeks were covered by his mask and the junior's hand...for his face turned the color of a tomato as he was smirked at like that. Zane felt...odd. Just earlier that morning, he was wanting and hoping to be in the Shadow Knight group...even if Gene had made him cry the day before. But now, he was one of them! Not only was he apparently Gene's friend...but he was sitting in his lap! As an added bonus, Zane had even got a kiss! Wait...a kiss!? That was when Zane felt his heart stop. All of the excitement with the nurse suddenly coming in had stopped him from realizing things...and now he finally noticed what the heck Gene had done. Zane suddenly tensed up in the Junior's arms, squirming a bit with one wide eye.
"Mmmph!" Gene cringed and his eyes widened as he heard a 'hm?' from the nurse. He clamped his mouth even tighter and held the freshman close, patting his head softly.
"S-Shhh!" He shushed him quietly. The nurse however, suddenly stood up. She walked out from behind her desk and towards the dark wood closet, a puzzled look on her face. Gene squeezed his eyes shut, knowing that this would be the end...he'd be found by a nurse with a freshman BOY on his lap. Not only would he have an earful from the school, but his own mother and Zane's family too...however, he was saved. Without warning, a student suddenly ran into the room. She had long sky blue hair, turquoise eyes and a sick look on her face. The nurse ran over to her and gasped.
"Mrs. Katelyn, what happened?!"
"I-I'm gonna be siiIIIIIICKKKK!" The volleyball player suddenly dashed away from her and into the bathroom, forgetting to shut the door as she suddenly hurled. Gene took this opportunity, suddenly opening the doors and dragging Zane with him. Seeing his leader and the freshman run out, Zenix followed. He and Sasha ran after the two, leaving Dante alone in the room. The blue haired sophomore as well ran out, but looked around. He looked to the direction of his classroom...and then towards where his brother ran. As much as he wanted to follow them to the soccer game...he knew that he preferred As in class rather than Fs.
"Hurry up Zenix, we are gonna be late!" Gene ordered, running down the empty hallways towards the lunchroom. Before the four Shadow Knights could reach the huge cafeteria, a loud bell sounded throughout the high school. Students began to pour out from the classrooms and into the hallways. Gene gave a relieved sigh.
"Good...we caught Senior lunch.." He smiled a bit and looked back at the two Sophomores and Freshman, before walking forwards into the short line. Due to getting there before all the other seniors, they had beat the huge long lines. Gene didn't get much..just an apple for a snack. Sasha meanwhile had gotten a bag of cool ranch Doritos, Zenix a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, and finally, Zane decided to get a bag of simple potato chips. At first, Zenix and Sasha walked over to their lunch table, spray painted with their annual Shadow Knight symbol, but Gene stopped them.
"So you two don't wanna watch the game!"
"Oh wait..!" Zenix gasped and stood back up, hurriedly running after the bigger junior. Gene shook his head with a chuckle, but opened the exit door at the back of the cafeteria.
"Let's go this way. I don't wanna risk running into anyone undesirable." He yawned, opening the door nice and wide so the other three could go first. His teal eyes watched them go past...but seemed more focused on Zane. Gene remembered back to all of those scratches and bruises Zane had when Gene had found the little emo in the locker room. He looked so pitiful and hurt...the thought stung Gene's mind. The junior swore...one day, he'd get back at that werewolf...
You see, Gene may of been very cool and calm...but on the inside, sometimes he could have some pretty sick thoughts...he felt a smirk crawl onto his face as he continued to have his hellish daydream...but came to his senses as he felt a soft nudge in his stomach. Gene looked down to see that same little goth looking up at him. Zane had paused, seeing Gene's demonic emotion and seemed worried. The freshman seemed to smile nervously, his mask creasing a bit.
"U-Um..are you ok Gene?" He said with that annoyingly excited stuffy voice. Gene blinked and smirked, chuckling a bit and reaching forwards. He teasingly tugged on Zane's mask, forcing the other to yelp and attempt to fix it.
"Of course I am." He answered, but shoved the other out the door. The two walked out of the school, and towards the tall bleachers surrounding the soccer field. It was a wonder why there'd be a game DURING school hours, but apparently after today's periods, the coach had business elsewhere..so they had scheduled for the game to be before hand. The four crawled up onto the very top of the bleachers, as far away from all the other spectators as they could. Gene plopped down in the corner, patting the spot next to him for his little rose to sit. Zane almost immediately slid in, careful not to brush against or touch the junior, for he was still a bit timid. Don't get me wrong, hanging out with the Shadow Knights, no...BEING a Shadow Knight was all he ever wanted! However...he could not deny the soft warmth in his cold heart towards the junior...something different from the normal admiration. Gene as well had grown quite a soft spot...he however gasped. He had forgotten the potted black rose in the music room! Gene stood up abruptly, making a move to run down the bleachers and into the school to fetch his little treasure...but paused. His eyes met a deep pretty plum purple, Sasha. In her arms, was the black pot with white specs. Gene relaxed, but crossed his arms.
"Wow, you remembered to bring it."
"Yes. I saw that you forgot to carry it so I've been holding onto it all this time." Gene felt his blood starting to boil....but why? Sasha had the pot safely in her lap, her arms softly wrapped around it. The rose was still a bit wilted, but was no longer hard and stiff looking. The leaves curved beautifully, and the flower petals were pursed at the end. Not yet blooming...but alive. Gene began to run the ideas through his mind...why was he feeling this way towards her? Finally, he came to a conclusion. He was feeling jealous, and possessive over HIS black rose...Sasha could see the fire burning in those ocean teal eyes...yet she kept a calm expression. She knew EXACTLY why Gene was giving her that look. With a nod, Sasha held her arms out, holding the black pot out to her leader. Gene gingerly accepted the pot, holding it secured in his arms.
"Thanks.."
"Your welcome Gene." She purred with a lazy smile. Gene took his place again next to Zane, who of which peered at the flower curiously. Gene watched, cocking an eyebrow at the freshman...Zane moved closer and looked into the pot, admiring the Black Rose. He soon smiled.
"It looks...like its wilting. I think it needs water.." Zane added, poking softly at the soil and getting a bit of the dry dirt on his pale finger. Gene had an idea...he smirked..and suddenly stole the water bottle Zenix had got.
"Hey!"
"Share, Quills." Zenix paused....before the spikes on his head suddenly puffed up angrily, like a porcupine.
"WHAT DID YOU CALL ME!?"
"Here Zane...you drink some first." Gene handed the now open bottle to the freshman, a smirk forming on his face as he happily accepted it. Seems that his potato chips were quite salty...so the freshman pulled down his mask and turtleneck, and took a big gulp. Gene felt himself wanting to chuckle...so THATS why he had the mask..Under that piece of clothing, his whole pale face was doused with thousands of little freckles and dimples. To be honest, it made him look absolutely adorable. Gene knew HE'D do the same if he had that many...however, to check his experiment, the junior turned to the Black Rose in the pot...
"Huh.." He blinked...the Rose was nice and damp, as if a cool sprinkle of water had doused it. There were even droplets of water on the leaves. However, Gene wasn't the only one who had noticed this. Zenix had leaned forward, and was staring at the flower pot. He had taken a spot next to Zane when they sat down, just so he could occasionally reach over and mess up Zane's mask or hair. However now, he was more focused on the flower..He looked surprised..Gene and Zenix met eyes, and seemed to share the same thought. Somehow...Zane seemed to be magically or physically connected to this rose.
------------(After the Soccer Game)--------------
"Moms gonna kill me..." Zane mumbled softly...running a hand through the tuff of charcoal hair over his hidden eye. Gene blinked and looked down to his freshman rose. Of course, Phoenix Drop lost the game...but then again, it WAS against Modmo High. Modmo High was the rival school a few hours away. It was a very rich and British school. Specifically the one Andila, Zane's old friend was from. Gene had caught sight of the blood haired beauty on the other set of bleachers, cuddled up with her pink skinned sweetheart Zane had mentioned earlier at the diner. They met eyes once...but of course they just spent five minutes glaring and making faces at each other. While Andila would stick out her tongue, Gene would flip her off. However, they stopped when her pink skinned boyfriend had looked up, confused as to why someone was showing a middle finger to his girlfriend. The game was a bit boring...but Gene had passed the time by randomly poking Zenix, making him think it was Zane. Of course Zenix would poke the poor emo freshman back harshly...and get stuck into a poking, and soon a slapping fight. By the end of the game, Gene had to sit between them to keep the two from slapping each other.
"Whys that?" Gene soon asked, wondering as to why Zane had a nervous expression. Zane had by now pulled up his turtle neck and mask..hiding his freckles and blush.
"My mom normally expects me home quickly, since we live close to the school. And well...I was supposed to be home an hour ago." Zane giggled stuffily, looking up to the junior and spike haired sophomore. Zenix by now had calmed down, his 'quills' pointed back and smooth against his head. He and Gene shared a concerned expression...they knew the Romeave family was to be feared...high and rich you could say. If anything THEY would be the ones in trouble for keeping Zane out so long...and well, Gene didn't want trouble for his mother. Gene chuckled nervously.
"Hooow about...we walk you home. When your family asks, just say you offered to help us with some tutoring and our teacher allowed us."
"Yea yea..! Not only will that earn you a point from your family, but if they contact ours...we will score too!" Zenix grinned, the spikes rising a bit in excitement. Zane shrugged and sighed.
"But what about Garroth? Won't he rat me out?"
"If he does, I'll throw Zenix at him." Gene answered simply, continuing to walk down the sidewalk. Funnily enough, the other three Shadow Knights had stopped dead in their tracks, all deadpanning. Gene looked back at them...a normal look on his face...before he leaned over and clutched his stomach, beginning to laugh widely.
"If I can lift him!" He joked, his loud deep laugh echoing around the sidewalk. And THAT was just one reason, why they liked Gene...As intimidating and mean as he could be...Gene had the nicest laugh. It was different from his normally sly voice, it was...lighthearted and calm. Not only that but when he laughed, his mouth exposed those sharp fangs in the corners of his mouth. They were natural, but sharper than normal canines. Zane felt his hidden freckled cheeks heat up in a blush as he saw that face...a smile forcing its way upon his lips. He liked seeing Gene like this..despite his tired eyes and dark, sly and bossy personality...he was still pretty nice once you got to know him. Zane's icy blue eye however looked to Zenix and Sasha. Sasha had a smile and was giggling...but you'd expect Zenix to be all pissed off and mad for being poked fun at...but surprisingly, Zane caught a glimpse of the most calmest smile he would ever see on the sophomore's face...Zenix's eyes were half shut, and a small smile had formed on his tanned face. He uttered two words to the laughing junior.
"Shut it.." This only made Gene laugh even more...but finally, he calmed down. He attempted to catch his breath, running a hand through his black hair and sighed,
"Hah..just kidding...maybe." Gene smirked, but nodded in the direction where Zane had explained where his house was.
"We are almost there.." The four walked together now, all side by side. From right to left, it was Sasha, Zenix, Zane and Gene..the same formation they had been in while sitting in the bleachers. However, Gene had an arm around Zane's shoulders as he talked mindlessly about school. Not grades or subjects of course, but just things to do during the 'free' eight hours they had.
Zane took a deep breath as he stepped up to the front door of his home..gulping and knocking on it. However, the freshman gave a loud shriek as the door flew open after the second knock, strong arms wrapping around his sides and squeezing him.
"MY LITTLE ZUZU!" He groaned as he heard the familiar high pitched tone of his mother, AND that annoying nickname. He blushed deeply and groaned in pain.
"M-Mooom...l-let me down!" He attempted to squirm from her arms. Thankfully, she let go, but suddenly grabbed his earlobe, tugging on it painfully.
"Where were you Zane Romeave!?" She asked with what seemed to be an attempted angry tone. The little gothic freshman whined in pain and clenched his fists, tilting his head a bit.
"I-I stayed after to help these guys with their math...they needed a tutor. I texted you, but I don't think it got to you."
"Oh, is that all?" Zianna's normally high pitched cheerful voice returned and she let go of her poor son's ear.
"Oh no dear, my phones been dead all day because your father took the charger to work!" She smiled brightly, before turning to the three Shadow Knights behind him.
"Ooh! Are these the people you tutored?"
"Yes mam, we are Zane's friends! I'm Gene, and this is Zenix and Sasha." Gene had a disturbingly cheerful tone...Zane turned his head to them and deadpanned. All three had faked sweet expressions, even Zenix looked convincingly innocent! Believing the innocent act, Zianna clapped her hands together and giggled.
"I'm so proud of you Zuzu! You've made friends, and you're even tutoring these lovely kids!" Lovely my butt, Zane thought...but faked a calm expression.
"Uh...thanks Mom..And PLEASE after the hundredth time, don't call me that!" Zane whined, stamping his foot and balling his fists up like a child. However...he blinked.
"Wait..Where's Garroth and Vylad?"
"Hm? Garroth had baseball practice right after school today. And Vylad went over to Aphmau's house with that little white haired boy to study. Oh, are you gonna go over to? Vylad wanted you to go!" She grinned...but noticed the obviously annoyed look on her son's face.
"I-I'll...ah..take that as a no then!" She grinned, but looked to the three Shadow Knights.
"Anyways, would you three like to come in?" She asked. Zane gulped and stiffened, but Gene's calm voice soothed him.
"No thank you Ms. Romeave, but I did want to ask you something."
"Oh? Yes Gene?" Gene scratched the back of his neck and smiled sweetly, faking a nervous expression.
"We wanted to thank Zane for tutoring us...soooo could we hang out with Zane tonight? There's a cool movie in the theater that we wanted to see." Zianna blinked, but smiled and tilted her head as well.
"Of course sweetie! What movie is it? I don't want my lil Zuzu seeing anything that could scare or hurt him of course!" Gene faltered...if Zianna learned exactly what movie, she'd have a cow!
"U-Uh...Why Him..?" Zianna paused for a long awkward minute...
"Ooooohhh! I haven't seen that one yet! It's that new Romance one right? Well then! I don't mind one bit! Of course we've got some rules, but they're not hard to follow!" Zianna suddenly grabbed Zane by his shoulders and held him in front of her, making him face his fellow Shadow Knights guiltily.
"Now! No drugs or drinking, all that obvious stuff. No rough housing or running, no super greasy foods, no money splurging and absolutely no making out with girls!" Gene felt a fire in his stomach....the fire slowly began to move up to his throat..but he quickly swallowed it again before stammering.
"O-O-Of c-course Ms. R-Romeave.." He wanted to laugh, so. freakin. hard. Hard to believe that by the end of the night, half of those rules would be broken. Of course Gene never planned on drinking or doing drugs...but he made absolutely no promises on the rest. Zianna giggled and finished up with one final rule.
"Alright, one last thing...Zane is to be back by 9:30!" Gene felt his notorious sly smirk crawling into his mouth, but quickly smiled to attempt and hide it.
"Yes mam!" On the inside however...he sneered. Hell no...sure maybe they'd run him back and have him sneak back out once the other's were asleep, but for them, 9:30 was just another way of saying, afternoon! Zane quickly pulled away from his mother and smiled nervously
"Uh...ok Mom, thanks..bye."
"Wait!" Zianna stopped her son and reached into her purse. The other three Shadow Knight's eyes widened as she suddenly handed her son a fifty and a twenty.
"Use it on snacks and buy yourselves dinner! I'd feel bad if I made you poor kids pay for yourselves with your own money." Zane however, didn't seem to be surprised.
"Thank you Mom..see you tonight." Without warning, she grabbed his head and hugged hmm tightly..making the poor gothic freshman blush in embarrassment, awkwardly hugging her back.
"I love you Zuzu!"
"I love you too Mommy..." Zane stiffened. Whoops...the freshman was still used to calling his sweetheart of a mother Mommy, so he had accidentally said it out loud in front of the other Shadow Knights. Gene felt himself smirk, but hid it before the mother could see. Even HE didn't use that name. Once she finally released her son, the four waved goodbye...before starting down the sidewalk towards town. Zenix however, felt the urge to tease him.
"Aww...does the widdle scrub miss his Mommy already?"
"N-No!"
"I think he does!" Zenix sneered and suddenly head locked the freshman, rubbing his knuckles against the other's charcoal hair to mess it up in a noogie. Zane gasped and squirmed around, growling.
"Q-Quit it you...you mean pufferfish!" Without warning, Zenix stopped. Zane stiffened and looked up into those dark Crimson eyes...
".....Excuse me?"