Dont Hurt Yourself

You ain't trying hard enough,
You ain't loving deep enough,
You don't love me deep enough,
We not reaching peaks enough
Blindly in love I fucked with you
Until I realized I'm just too much for you

She expected to go home to a quiet house. After practice, Odell usually went out with his friends anyway and she wasn't expecting anything different today. But as soon as she turned down their street she knew that she would be going home to anything but quiet. There were only two houses on their street: their house and the house of an older couple who threw tasteful champagne parties and spent their days at the country club. So Demi knew that the loud music that was making her head throb had to be coming from her house. Cars were spilling out of her driveway onto the side of the street and she took a deep breath to resist the urge to scream. All she wanted was some quiet.

Since she couldn't make it up the driveway, she shut her car off and trudged up the hill. There were literally people everywhere, and they were all barely dressed. People in the pool, people in the living room, people in the kitchen. There was nothing but people that she didn't even know crammed into the house where her daughter slept at night.

This reminded her of the parties that Odell used to throw before they started dating. She should know. Trey had invited her to one and that's how her and Odell had met. They talked nearly everyday after that until he finally convinced her to go on a date with him. They had been inseparable ever since.

Demi went searching through the house for her husband so that he could shut the party down and she could salvage what was left of her afternoon. She asked a few people where he was but she got mixed responses, most of them being either in the man cave or in his trophy room. She checked the man cave first and all of his friends were in there but he wasn't. So she went to the trophy room/library. It seemed to be the only peaceful room in the house.

She creaked the door open and saw Odell standing there with his new publicist, Macy. They were closer than necessary while he was showing her his ESPY award. Macy reached forward and stroked his arm while he set the award down and that's when Demi decided to make her presence known.

"Demi! Hey. I didn't know you'd be home so early. I saw your note," Odell said as Macy took a few steps back from him.

"Clearly. I didn't know we were having a party today," Demi nearly hissed back.

"It was a last minute thing to celebrate our win yesterday. I'm glad you're here so we can celebrate together," Odell said but Demi shifted her eyes to Macy.

"Oh you remember Macy, right?" Odell introduced. How could she forget Macy with the shiny black hair and the petite body and the Chanel No. 2 perfume?

Sensing the tension in the room, Macy decided to speak up. "Well I'm gonna go rejoin the party. That's a great award O. And you totally deserved it," Macy said before leaving the room. As she breezed past Demi, the smell of Chanel No. 2 assaulted her nostrils and she could feel her eyes welling up with tears.

"I'm sorry about the party. I thought it'd be over by the time you made it home," Odell apologized while scratching the back of his neck.

"Is that all that you're sorry about?" Demi choked out as Odell furrowed his eyebrows.

"Whatever. Just shut it down, please. I'm tired and I don't feel like checking into a hotel," Demi said before leaving. She searched through the party again for Macy. She saw her in the kitchen making a drink behind the counter, so she stood across from her.

"Was he good?" Demi asked as she poured herself a glass of water.

"Excuse me?" Macy stuttered as Demi chuckled.