Forward

Forward
Best foot first just in case
When we made our way til now
It's time to listen
It's time to fight

Even with Odell admitting why he cheated on her and even with Demi telling him that they weren't gonna get divorced, the atmosphere in their house was still tense. It was awkward. It was weird. They didn't know how to be around each other. They had bared a little bit of their souls to each other after being closed off for so long that they didn't even know how to interact. So unless their daughter was present, they didn't. There was no talking. Only stolen glances and silent gazes. Only longing to talk and to be normal but not knowing how, not knowing where to start.

Odell heard the alarm beep and the front door slam shut, but they weren't expecting any company. A few seconds later, Dallas stormed into the living room, snatching the remote off of the couch before shutting off the TV. She looked incredibly pissed off. And he only recognized the lethal look on her face because it was the same look that Demi had when she found out about Macy.

"Uh, hi?"

"Where's Demi?"

"She's upstairs...resting," Odell responded as Dallas nodded.

"DEMETRIA! GET YOUR BUTT DOWN HERE RIGHT NOW!" She yelled, and Odell could've sworn that he saw the chandelier shake above his head. A few minutes later Demi was coming down the stairs with Ariana right behind.

"Oh good, you're all here. Listen, I'm not dealing with this anymore. I was walking into Starbucks to get a quick drink and what are paparazzi asking me about? The two of you! You need to talk to each other and figure something out because when your daughter gets older, this isn't gonna do anything but hurt her! You're in the same damn house but you're not talking, who does that?"

Demi opened her mouth to speak but Dallas cut her off.

"I don't wanna hear it. I'm taking Ari for the weekend. You have three days to sort this out. Get divorced, go to therapy, have sex all weekend because you both clearly need it. I don't care. But fix this. Because I've never seen two people who are more perfect for each other behaving like the two of you," Dallas demanded. She picked up Ariana, went upstairs to grab her bag, and then walked out the door, leaving Odell and Demi to sit and bask in their own tension.

Demi waited for Odell to say something. She waited for him to open his mouth and take the initiative to fix their marriage even though he was the one that broke it, but that didn't happen. He sat there and stared at the blank flat screen, probably wishing for her to go away. So that's what she did. She huffed and stormed over to the patio doors, opening it and slamming it shut once she was outside. If he didn't want to fix things, neither did she.

Odell wanted to talk to her. He needed to talk to her. He knew that if they were going to move forward they had to sit and bare their souls to each other. But he couldn't do that. He didn't even know if he was capable of doing that. How was he supposed to tell his wife about all of his little insecurities? How was he supposed to tell his wife that sometimes he regretted the fact that they had a child and got married without really getting to know each other? How was he supposed to tell his wife that sometimes he couldn't picture them having a future together, that sometimes he just wanted to call it quits and focus on him? How was he supposed to bare his soul to her when he wasn't used to doing that?

Finally, after staring at the TV for a while and then saying a quick prayer, he built up the courage to walk outside. She was sitting at the edge of the pool with her leggings rolled up and her feet swimming back and forth. She looked relaxed and peaceful and he didn't want to interrupt her. But they needed to talk.

"Lets go for a drive," Odell suggested.

"A drive?" Demi asked, not even looking at him. Her eyes were closed and her chin was tilted towards the sun.