11. Demuire

I thought that my great adventures, which had only just begun, may have been over. I ought to have known better, I suppose.  

" Faye!" Arthur's voice hissed through the door of the hovel's door. I blinked my eyes open, for I had been fast asleep. I slowly stood, stretching the stiffness out, and opened the door as quietly as I could. It was still quite dark out, not nearly dawn yet.

" Arthur? What on earth are you-er, forgive me. How may I be of service?" I asked, my voice groggy. Arthur stepped inside the hovel immediately, and I felt embarrassed by the home I had always been proud of before. To royalty, it must have seemed like nothing. 

" The dragon's egg was only a test. Faye, you must forgive me, I never meant for you to be injured so gravely. I needed to know if you could be trusted, and you can. Now, there is a more pressing matter at hand. I planned to wait to tell you, but I can wait no longer. I am out of time. I must leave tonight, and I need you to accompany me." Arthur's words rang in my ears, and it took a moment for them to register.

" Yes, of course, milord. Given the time of your visit, I presume you mean to leave immediately?" I asked, and Arthur nodded.

" Yes," Arthur replied, tossing me a green tunic from the chair,  "Get dressed then, we must go. Where's your armour?"

" I must leave my father a note, or he'll worry," I murmured. 

"Yes, I'll write the note, get dressed." Arthur's words made me want to laugh.

"Er, I mean no disrespect, but I have no intentions of changing my clothing with you in the room. Milord," I added. Arthur seemed to remember quite suddenly that I was a girl, and quickly exited the area of the hovel until he was well out of sight. I changed quickly, slipped the chainmail shirt overtop, and quickly adjusting the other armour fittings.

"Er, your highness, if you are ready to depart..." I began awkwardly, picking up my sword.

"Yes, at once. Er, Faye? Aren't you forgetting something?" Arthur asked, his voice suddenly changing, as he tried to stifle amusement.

"What?" Confusion seeped through my own voice, as I looked down at myself. I realized I'd forgotten my leather boots, and blushed, pulling them on quickly. 

"Right then, now that you're sorted, lets get a move on, shall we?" Arthur muttered. I wanted to roll my eyes, but restrained myself.

" Where are the others?" I asked, upon seeing no one else.

"They won't be joining us, with the exception of William, and Elyhas. They are already waiting at the edge of the woods," Arthur replied, mounting his horse as I followed suit. 

"What exactly is the matter at hand, Sire?" I asked. Arthur did not reply immediately.

"Elyhas's sister sent word of trouble in her village. My father refused to send men. I needed to bring those with skill, and the ability to keep a secret. I trust you can manage that." I nodded, the horses drawing to a halt not far from Elyhas and William.

"On my life," I replied. Arthur looked at me for a moment before giving me a curt nod.

" Elyhas, lead the way. I'd like to arrive by dawn, if we are to be of any use. You say your sister told you they attack just after dawn, yes?" Arthur asked, and Elyhas nodded.

" Yes, Sire. From what my sister has told me, they attack at first light." Elyhas glanced at the sky, which was still dark and littered with stars, before kicking his horse into a faster pace, and heading into the forest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The village of Demuire lay a quarter days ride away. We arrived just as the sun broke over the mountain peaks, our horses drenched in sweat. 

" Elyhas! Thank god. I-the village, we thought you were the bandits, come early." A short girl with brown hair and brown eyes flung her arms around Elyhas. The girl did not look like she was of noble blood due to the state of her dress, but then I knew that Elyhas's father had died when he was a small child. Elyhas had mentioned going the knights of Calber to secure a good living to be able to support his family, of which the only one left alive was his sister, and his sisters small daughter, after his sister's husband had died of a plague.

"Aura. I've missed you. Quickly, you and the villagers must hide. From what you have told me, the bandits will soon be upon us." Elyhas was proved right, for not a moment later, thundering hoofbeats broke the morning air. Elyhas drew his sword, as did William, whom had been gazing at Aura. I drew my bow, and an arrow, for it was my preferred weapon until the enemy were truly upon us. I did not like to wait to give one the opportunity to run me through before I made a move. I let loose an arrow the moment one of the bandits came into view. The arrow lodged itself in the bandit's stomach. My aim was off. I hesitated as I drew the next arrow, and let it loose as well. The arrow embedded into the thigh of a bandit, who let out a furious cry of pain.

" Faye, shoot straight or don't shoot, for God's sake!" Arthur snapped, and I flinched. I felt badly enough about having lost, hopefully only for the meantime, my ability to nearly never miss a target. The next arrow I let loose hit one of the bandits squarely in the heart.

" That's more like it," Arthur muttered. I decided it best not to mention I had been aiming for the mans head. I grimaced, stowing my bow and pulling out my sword. The bandits were nearly upon us anyhow.