13. Homeward Bound

The journey back to Calber was made in a solemn silence. Little Mira clung to Elyhas for the first part of the ride home, and to me for the second. She watched the ground for most of the journey, unspeaking.

"I lost my mother when I was young, too," I told Mira quietly. I wasn't sure why. I continued, as I noticed she glanced at me, "It's very hard to lose a mother. I think you should remember that, when everything hurts and everything seems terrible, I think you ought to remember that there are still good things in the world. When you miss your mother, you can talk to her. She won't respond, but she will hear you. You won't be able to feel it, but when you're hurting, your mother is kissing the wound better as she always did before. You won't see it, but she will still wipes away your tears with you when you cry. And when you laugh, she will be smiling too. It won't feel like it at first, because you will miss her far too much, but you haven't lost her. With time, you will think of her and instead of tears, a smile will spread on your face. Even though it hurts, more than anything you have felt before, the hurt will lessen, and eventually things will not hurt so much."
Mira was looking at me with wide, saddened eyes.
"It'll hurt forever, I think," Mira whispered. I smiled, a little sadly, and spoke.

"It will feel that way for a while. You'll feel like you've been tortured, but you will survive, if you choose to."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The King, upon summoning all those whom had journeyed to Demuire, was livid. Someone had informed him of his sons departure, and of the theee of us who left with him. The King summoned his son, Arthur, at once. Those whom had accompanied Arthur-William, Elyhas, and myself-were ordered to wait outside until further notice.
Further notice turned out to be a short while later for me, after the door burst open, the King scammed his eyes over us, and snapped his fingers at a guard, pointing to me.

"The girl. She wouldn't dare lie to me," King Isdemus declared. I forced myself not to laugh, though I couldn't help the corner of my mouth twitching in amusement the moment his back had been turned.The King had no need to know I had been deceiving him and everyone else for years. The guard motioned for me to enter, and then proceeded to escort me inside.

"My son," The King began in a calm tone that by no means lacked a dangerous warning, "Tells me you four were merely...out training...this morning. My son...forgets...he returned with a young girl, whom was surely not training with you four this dawn...I presume....which means I am reliant upon your testimony for a proper account of fact for which you will be rewarded with the maintenance of your most...unusual station...and without which I am sure you can imagine the consequences." I remained silent for a moment.

"We were training, Milord," I replied, looking the King directly in the eye.

"Just training?" The King asked.

"No." I saw Arthur's breath hitch in his chest, but I continued regardless. "Bandits stumbled upon us. They had the young girl held captive. Naturally, your son, Prince Arthur, made the decision to free her, as any man as brave and noble as your sons reputation depicts would have done. Though no bandits were slain, our efforts yielded the desired result; a child freed. I expect your son was merely being modest, or perhaps respecting the reputation of your judgement as King, milord," I replied carefully.

"The reputation of my judgement?" The King asked, calm. I wondered if he understood all of that which I had not said.

"Begging your pardon, milord, I thought you knew. The young girl hails from the village of Demuire, Milord, though I expect that this fact wouldn't be of any relevance nor a topic of interest to any, less further inquiries need be made," I replied, doing my best to appear gracious and in fear of the King, though I expect no man present was fool enough to believe the facade. The Kings strange little smile twisted into something undecipherable, and it became clear to me that he understood perfectly well.
If he accepted my account of the events, his son and heir would be hailed brave and noble, and there would be no need for widespread word of his refusal to send aid to a village plagued by bandits. If he did not, all would know of his abandonment of a portion of his people, and he would appear to have lost control over his son and heir.

"No, I see no reason to make further inquiries. I have heard two accounts come of honest and reputable sources. That, I think, is more than sufficient. You are dismissed."

Never before had I made a man of such power and stature stare at my back with such contempt as I exited his presence, a free woman, whilst he remained unable to ease his anger.
I had made my first silent enemy at court...the King of Calber.