The Lady Quill Chronicles - The Promise- Chapter Three

Chapter Three

“Adele?”

Mistress Ardith’s voice wafted softly across the small room, it was not the voice that Rafe would have recognized as belonging to her, filled as it was with tender warmth. A drowsy stirring beneath the covers told her that Adele was awake.

“Adele, my love?”

The covers stirred again and then were pulled down and a figure rose sleepily from the depths of the bed.

“Mistress Ardith? What is it? What’s wrong?” Her sleepy voice was pleasantly husky and her eye lashes fluttered sleepily over large eyes.

“Naught, my dear, tis only that I have news.” Reassured Mistress Ardith.

Strange, she had sat before the fire for a long while after she had left the young man, trying to think of the best way of breaking such tidings to Adele. It was  a difficult situation and whatever people said, this betrothal was not in the least romantic, only a fool would think it romantic to marry a complete stranger.

And now adding to the general discomfort, Lord Rafe had not come to escort his bride to Valrek in person but had sent someone else in his stead. Mistress Ardith would have doubted any man to be worthy of Adele, but Lord Rafe at this precise moment seemed of all men most unsuitable.

 She became aware that Adele was now wide awake and watching her closely.

“It seems you are to leave me, Adele, an escort has arrived to take you to your new home.”

“To Valrek?” Adele’s voice was a little dazed. “Then--he is here?”

It would be too much to say that this question was eager or hopeful, but it did hold an excitement that Mistress Ardith was sorry to disillusion.

“No, my love, he wrote that his liege needed him elsewhere, but that he had sent his most trusted man, no name was mentioned but from his manner,” Mistress Ardith paused a flush of remembered irritation staining her cheeks, “which is very high handed, I believe he must be Finan of Gournay, he is in charge of Lord Valrek’s army and is known to be a good friend to Lord Rafe.”

Adele did not seem at all cast down by the news that her betrothed had not come to escort her to his home, but she did seem perplexed about something. For several seconds she grappled with the problem in silence and then turned her dark blue eyes upon Mistress Ardith, frowning slightly.

“But…it is yet some months to the day of the wedding.”

Mistress Ardith wondered whether or not to disclose the reason for this sudden haste to her charge, but decided that no good could come of telling her that Lord Rafe was afraid that certain unsavoury elements would try to harm her if at all possible.

“Maybe he wishes you to be settled in his home before you are married.” She answered gently.

Although Adele’s expression did not alter, Mistress Ardith was fully aware that she had received, and discarded, this explanation giving it the barest minimum of her attention.

“When shall I leave?”

“Tomorrow morning, child.” Mistress Ardith hesitated and rose from the bed, “You must sleep now, you have a long day before you.”

At the door Mistress Ardith looked again to her charge, Adele had turned upon her side, curling up a little with one hand tucked under her pillow and the other folded beneath her chin.

She looked so young and vulnerable, Mistress Ardith hoped she would find Finan of Gournay unfriendly and imposing, not someone she found it easy to converse with, for that would be dangerous. She closed the door noiselessly and made her way to the sanctity of her own chamber.