The Lady Quill Chronicles - The Promise - Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

They were a silent procession, each man ill at ease. Rafe was uncomfortable because whatever it was that Rand wanted, he had a certain amount of leverage: he knew that Adele thought him to be Finan. Still he had the same information concerning Rand, but was it really worth anything? After all, what use was the deception to Rand now that Adele was here where Rafe could protect her? Surely the threat of exposure could mean nothing to him now, it mattered not if Adele knew for Rafe was hardly likely to let Rand get close to her and into a position where the deception would be of help.

Rafe took another look at Rand, the last time he had seen him Rand had been an eleven year old boy. Strange that even though sixteen years had passed since that day, he would have known him anywhere. He seemed just the same, taller and older but still recognizable as his old playfellow.

Bitterly Rafe reflected on this last thought: Playfellow. How much his playfellow had Rand really been? They had lived together, played together, trained together; himself, Rand, Finan, Leofric and Evoric: the best of friends.

Or so he had thought.

The truth had not been so comfortable. Rand had left Valrek with his father and nine days later Lord Targhe had attacked Calis…with Rand fighting at his side. Rafe knew that he would never forget how it had felt to draw up in battle and see the face of a friend among those of your foes. Nor would he forget the bitterness that had welled up within his heart as he had sat beside Evoric;  bitterness against the house of Berron as well as the that of Targhe, that their argument had caused him loss.

They arrived outside Leofric’s quarters and filed inside. It was not a large tent and, as Leofric spent most of his time with Finan, it was deserted without even the warmth of a fire. Rafe made his way to the nearest chair and slumped in it, he hadn’t rested in all his journey from Gradock, being far too fearful for Adele’s safety and all too aware that he was being followed. But now without the desperation and anxiety pumping through his veins, he was incredibly tired. For a moment he closed his eyes leaning his head back against the chair.

“What do you want Rand?” Rafe opened his eyes. “Other than Adele, for she is already taken.”

Rand seated himself comfortably before answering.

“To end this foolishness.”

Rafe sighed impatiently.

“Speak plainly, Rand, I’m tired.”

“I wish to finish the feud between our families once and for all,” responded Rand. “Tis ridiculous and has gone on long enough.”

“I think that a feud to which a great many people have lost their lives is a little more than foolish or ridiculous,” interposed Finan quietly.

Rand stiffened but raised his hand in a placating gesture.

“You are right, those dead deserve better than that,” Rand looked again at Rafe. “They deserve that their lives should mean something, they should be the means to end this.”

Rafe was silent for a moment.

“You expect me to believe that?” He asked at length. “You betrayed me, Rand, you betrayed us all,” Rafe paused trying to swallow the bitterness that threatened to choke him. “You betrayed Evoric!”

“Enough!” Rand stood, angry sparks spilling from his eyes. “Never say that! You have no idea what I did and why I did it! Don’t you dare to use Evoric against me, he was my friend as well as yours.”

“Some friend!” responded Rafe bitingly.

Rand leapt forward with a bellow and was met by an enthusiastic Rafe, they struggled dangerously together in the centre of the tent until Leofric and Finan pulled them apart.