The Lady Quill Chronicles - The Promise - Chapter Twenty Eight

Chapter Twenty Eight

Adele stood in the aperture of the tent, her hair was hanging loose, tumbling over her shoulders, thick and gleaming. Her dark blue eyes seemed more soft and dreamy even than normal and the cold air had teased colour into her cheeks.

Rafe saw Daegmund jerk upright and Anlaf dropped his dagger, both seemed incapable of speech. A sudden rush of pride swelled in his chest and a smile tugged at the corners of his mouth. Without realising he had moved he found himself at her side and took her hand in his.

“Adele this is Daegmund, Lord of Gradock and his brother Anlaf of Gradock.”

Adele turned the full power of her gaze upon both men and each bowed deeply.

Adele inclined her head in response, she was not used to thinking of Lord Gradock in friendly terms.

“Good day,” she hesitated and looked to Rafe questioningly.

“Lord Gradock is here to offer his assistance.”

Adele turned back, her slow smile pulling her lips into a rich curve.

“You honour us with your kindness.”

To Rafe's great surprise Daegmund disclaimed, and clumsily mumbled something about the honour being his.

“Tis my Lady who has shown kindness, never did I think to see a breach such as this healed so completely,” Daegmund looked first at Adele and then to Rand. “After all you have lost my Lady, your forgiveness does you credit.”

Adele looked confused, her eyes shifting from Daegmund to Rafe.

“Forgiveness? Whom do I have to forgive?”

Rafe attempted to catch Daegmund’s eye but his vision was filled with Adele’s charm and he did not see.

“Why, even Rand himself must see that you have much to forgive him for as a Targhe.”

The room was silent and Daegmund seemed to realise belatedly that something was not as it seemed. Adele remained still, her eyes fixed upon him but staring through him in a way that was detrimental to his comfort. Rafe's grip tightened on her hand seeking to give her reassurance, she did not return the pressure but her hand remained limp.

Eventually she turned her eyes to Rand almost as though she'd never seen him before.

“What is your name?” she asked eventually.

“You have just been told,” answered Rand.

“But I would have the truth from you,” returned Adele softly, her eyes steady upon his.

There was a slight pause and then Rand gave an abrupt nod.

“I am Rand, Lord of Targhe, known to some as Rand the Wolf.”

His voice and face were blank, concealing his feelings from her probing eyes. This was it, Rand thought, the moment he had both longed for and dreaded. Now Adele knew the truth and that was a relief, he had not enjoyed deceiving her nor being cast in the part of deceiver.

But still he dreaded her reaction to the revelation, would she hate him? Would she give him the chance to explain? Or would she turn him away forever? She began to move towards him, slow and deliberate, he could see the tears glittering in her eyes. He did not flinch but stood his ground ready to accept the bitterness of her rage.

She stopped before him and raised her hand, he waited expectantly for the blow to fall but the fingers that touched his cheek were gentle and soft.

“Adele..?” his voice was little more than a whisper.

Adele moved forwards resting her head against his shoulder and embracing him.

“May God grant you peace brother,” her voice trembled.

Rand held her away from him so that his eyes might search her face.

“Adele... are you sure? Do you not wish to know? My Father...”

Adele shook her head as he clasped her hands tightly within his own.

“You bear no guilt for your Father's action Randwulf,” she interrupted.

Rand shook his head, words sticking in his throat even as he fought to express himself.

“Adele you do not know... I was there... I fought beside my Father...” he choked on the words, distress and pain entering his eyes as it all came back to him. “But I did not know... I never thought that he... your family...”

Adele smoothed back the hair that fell over his brow.

“Randwulf, I have known you since I was a child, do you really suppose that you need to tell me any of this? Do you not see that I already know that you could never do such a thing as your Father did?”

Rand's grip upon her tightened.

“Adele how can you... why do you forgive?”

Adele smiled tremulously her face radiant with joy.

“There is nothing to forgive you, only think; in these last few moments I have gained that which I had thought lost forever,” a smile trembled on her lips even as tears rushed forth to spill down her face, “you have given me kin.”

Rafe watched as they embraced again, a sharp feeling of pain and dismay tugging at his chest. His greatest desire was to rip Rand limb from limb—and he would have but for the fact that it had been Adele who had turned to Rand. It was Rand's comfort she had sought and not his. The knowledge burnt into his soul leaving only charred remains.

He had lost her, just as surely as he had lost Evoric.

                        ---------------------------------------------------

So Rand's secret is out!!! I hope you liked this chapter!