The Lady Quill Chronicles - The Promise - Chapter Twenty One

Chapter Twenty One

Rafe stirred drowsily opening his eyes, for a moment he couldn’t think where he was, the warmth of the furs that covered him and the softness cushioning his head was strange to him.

“Are you awake, Master?”

The question was an unnecessary one as Druce was standing beside the bed and could see very well that he was. Rafe sat upright holding his head in both hands.

“How long did I sleep?”

“Since yesterday afternoon, Master.”

“And Lady Adele?”

“She is still sleeping my lord,” answered Druce as he made his way to the tent flap. Rafe heard him talking in low tones to someone outside before he returned with a bowl and pitcher of water. Rafe watched him carefully as he set out a towel.

“Well, Druce, what is it?”

Druce started nervously.

“M-my lord?”

“Come Druce,” Rafe raised an eyebrow. “With whom were you whispering?”

Druce flushed and hesitated.

“Master Leofric wished to be told when you awoke.”

“Did he?” Rafe climbed out of bed and stretched, yawning loudly. “I suppose that means I am to expect a visit from him then?”

“I believe so, my lord.”

Even as Druce finished speaking Leofric entered the tent and Druce looking slightly harassed, withdrew with a bow, leaving them in peace. For a moment they stared at one another in silence.

“What is it?” demanded Rafe peremptorily, seeing the gravity of Leofric’s expression.

“Finan is hurt.”

Rafe’s hands tightened into fists.

“How?”

“After we left you yesterday a message came through from Merrodon and Finan rode out to meet with Lord Merrodon, he returned an hour later wounded.”

“Do we know how it happened?”

“Not precisely, Lord Merrodon’s men fought to retrieve him when he reached the safety of Lord Rand’s camp. He was unconscious and a little feverish, he sleeps still.”

“Why did you not wake me?” exclaimed Rafe dragging a hand across his face and feeling a day’s growth of beard beneath his fingertips.

“Of what use would it have been?” responded Leofric. “There was nought any of us could do.”

Rafe had to admit the truth of this statement but it did little to quell his temper.

“You had best take me to him.”

“Come then, he is resting at Rand’s camp.”

Leofric saw Rafe stiffen and reached out a hand, grasping his shoulder.

“It is time to forgive, Rafe.”

Rafe shook his head uncertainly.

“I cannot, you were not there, you never saw…” Rafe broke off.

“I saw how it affected both you and Finan,” responded Leofric quietly. “I saw you change before my eyes. We none of us will ever be able to forget,  it would be wrong to try. But both of us know that Evoric would wish us to forgive, he would want us to be just.”