The Lady Quill Chronicles - The Promise - Chapter Twenty Seven

Chapter Twenty Seven

“You have been quiet Brogan,” observed Lord Ramm of Drogand after the silence had stretched out for some time. They were sitting by the fire in the great hall surrounded by preparations for the mid day meal. The murmer of many voices surrounded them loud but indistinct. Lord Brogan of Valrek brought his thoughts back to the present with some difficulty.

“What have you been thinking of all this while?” Ramm asked curiously.

“Nothing very much,” replied Lord Brogan, “only of that boy of mine.”

 Ramm nodded abruptly and turned away, he considered anything that Brogan said of his son smug and prideful, almost as though he were crowing over less fortunate men like himself. It was of course only natural that he should boast of Rafe, he would himself if he had been blessed with a son like that.

But he had only Leofric.

Ramm snorted, it was a cruel trick to play upon him, he who took such pleasure in warfare. As a young man he had been the best warrior in the kingdom and all he had wanted was a son that would make him proud, who would follow in his illustrious footsteps.

But Brogan had such a son, Brogan who would not have cared if his son had shown no aptitude for fighting, Brogan who placed so much more store by diplomacy.

And what had he got?

A boy no better than a King’s jester, prone to levity and laziness.

On any day at court Rafe would be found at the King’s side, discussing the things that were close to the King’s heart. On any corresponding day Leofric could be found occupied in some wholly indulgent pursuit, he hunted, he told stories and generally engaged in vain and reckless behaviour.

The only time he was ever of any use and it had to be under Rafe’s command, it was almost as though the boy was taunting him. He was pulled roughly from his reverie by Brogan’s voice.

“Do you know whence Lord Kyule has gone?”

“To Merrodon,” replied Ramm off handedly.

Lord Brogan remained silent for some time as he thought of what Lord Kyule would find, Finan and not Rafe.

“I did not know that King Ine had sent him to relieve Rafe,” Brogan’s voice was careful.

“I do not believe that he did,” responded Ramm.

“Really?” Brogan was taken aback. “I wonder what he can have had to do there then.”

“I believe he wished to converse with Rafe regarding how to proceed in this matter with Kent.”

Ramm chanced to meet his friend’s eyes and surprised a steely look of menace in them. It was only for the barest second and then it was gone and Ramm could not be sure he had not imagined it.

Lord Brogan was thinking quickly, he had never liked Lord Kyule, always believing him to be deeply underhanded and he knew the Lord Kyule did not like him and found Rafe repellent. He hated the way King Ine leaned upon Rafe, the trust that he had in him. Lord Kyule saw Rafe as his rival in everything and never missed an opportunity to undermine him.

So why would he have turned to Rafe for help, why would he meekly submit himself to Rafe now? Brogan felt uneasy, he knew that Finan was capable of hiding Rafe's absence from Lord Kyule for awhile but eventually Lord Kyule would find out and use the knowledge against Rafe.

Although, it had been Rafe's intention to make his way to Merrodon as soon as he had delivered Adele to Valrek, perhaps he would be there already. But even if he were Lord Brogan still could not shake the feeling that something was wrong in Lord Kyule's behaviour.