The Lady Quill Chronicles - The Promise - Chapter Seven

Chapter Seven

They rode through the trees until the grey light of dawn filtered through the bare limbs, and they came across a creek. Eda had sunk to the floor pillowing her head on her arms, Adele sagged against one of the large moss covered rocks and closed her eyes. She was tired, so weary that she felt she could sleep for days if given the chance and every inch of her felt bruised.

Rafe subjected them to careful scrutiny, both looked pale and fragile, he wondered how long they could take this pace before they started to weep and beg for it to stop. Adele opened her eyes suddenly, meeting his considering gaze and disconcerting him.

“How many?”

Rafe continued looking at her blankly.

“I mean how many were there?”

“I counted twelve.” Rafe turned his face away from her probing stare, he did not wish to scare her with an estimation of those he had not seen.

She looked relieved at this evaluation.

“Where did you learn to use a bow?” asked Rafe suddenly. “For I’m certain that Mistress Ardith never taught you.”

Adele’s face was innocent with no hint of guile as she answered him thoughtfully.

“No, I don’t suppose that Mistress Ardith has ever handled a bow.”

“No doubt you will tell me it was one of the other ladies at the fort.”

“Not if you will not believe it.”

Rafe’s eyes narrowed, sudden suspicion filling his mind, for a moment he said nothing more, but knelt on the grass beside the creek and scooped the ice cold water over his face and neck, aware that her gaze was upon him, as gentle and unconcerned as it always was.

“Looks can be deceiving can they not, Lady Adele?”

Adele was rubbing her hands together trying to warm them.

“Tis not my fault that you conceived an erroneous opinion of me barely a second after meeting me and without even waiting until I had spoken a word.” she answered placidly.

“And your marksmanship?”

For a moment he fancied that she hesitated.

“Randwulf taught me.”

Rafe felt a sudden and uncomfortable sensation in the pit of his stomach caused by the ruthless removal of all his solid facts, of Adele’s spiritless character and the so called seclusion of her life, tugged from beneath his feet.

“And who is Randwulf?”

“A friend.” Smiled Adele softly, looking away.

“A friend?”

Eda had struggled upright and was listening to their conversation carefully. Adele’s eyes smiled into hers, Rafe thought the gaze held reassurance.

“A good friend.” Adele answered quietly.

Rafe was surprised by an unaccountable dislike for the unknown Randwulf.

He had been annoyed by the disclosure that Adele’s life had been so…insular. But the discovery that this was not so did little to quench his temper, if anything his anger seemed to burn ever more fiercely. He rubbed the tip of his cold nose and looked up at the top of the trees.

“Why did you come with us?”

Her words made no sense to Rafe and it was a moment before he answered.