chapter three

12:48

She'd be lying if she said that she didn't miss him. 

If she didn't miss the way his sweater smelled, if she didn't miss that little downward curve at the side of his eyes, if she didn't miss talking to him. 

Taeyeon was just too good at hiding her feelings.

And that definitely wasn't healthy, at all, but she just couldn't help it. Call her selfish, but she was scared. Sick of receiving hates from people who don't even know her, and tired of having to deal with immature fans. Everything was just starting to die down, and she hoped it would, because she couldn't stand it all. 

What was stopping her, then? What was stopping her from cutting off all ties with Baekhyun?

Her goddamn heart that thumped furiously whenever she saw him, and her fingers that yearned to interlock with his. Every nerve in her yelled "no!" but she couldn't help it. 

On most days, she found herself asking, to no one in particular, why she had to suffer so much. Why did they have to care about the public's opinions so badly? Why did they have to had their hearts wrenched in every way possible because of people who didn't, shouldn't, even have had a say in their decisions? 

In contrast to Baekhyun, she wasn't head over heels in love. If anything, she was disappointed that she had to let him go, to let the happiness in her go. It felt a whole lot like falling down and scraping your knee, have a plaster offered to you, yet having it pulled off a second later. 

When he was gone, it was like someone just turned all the lights off. 

//

Despite having used a towel to wipe the sweat off, Byun Baekhyun still felt a slight sheen of it clinging onto his skin. The 24 year old had gone for a morning gym session all by himself, and despite his aching limbs, he felt good. Energised. Refreshed. The boys had 5 days in Japan, free of any schedules. 

What a one in a lifetime thing, Baekhyun had thought. 

On his way back, the young man focused on his phone and paid no heed to his path. Almost banging into someone, he glanced up immediately to apologize, gaze softening when he saw her. 

"Sorry." He muttered, before continuing his way.

"Wait!" She called out behind him.

He had to take a moment to realize he wasn't imagining things.

"Do you... do you want to take a walk?" She looked at him, hesitation evident in her body posture. He was surprised ; beyond flustered, even. 

"S-shower—" He stuttered, gesturing vaguely in the direction of his room. "I-I need to—"

She gave a light laugh, strumming his heart strings. Knowing that it was because of him that she had laughed. "Of course. I'll wait at the lobby."

Baekhyun nearly ran for his shower.

//