chapter twelve

FAR AWAY // JULIA SHEER FT. KEVIN LITTLEFIELD
[press play]

  ❝if 11:11 were true, what would you wish for?❞  

11:11

Scooping a fair amount of green tea cream from the almost finished jar, Taeyeon lathered her face thoroughly with it and finished off by giving light smacks on her then moisturized skin. The fragrance from the various skincare products helped in her being more alert, and definitely a whole lot less sleepy after an entire day of events. 

As she snuggled under the blankets, the 27 year old grabbed hold of large pillows and placed them against the headboard before leaning back. Sighing in contentment, she propped herself up and grabbed the device that was lying untouched on the bedside table. It had become a habit to scroll through her social media before turning in for the night — a daily routine, in fact. 

As usual, after she had gotten bored, Taeyeon went onto various random apps just to kill time. Subconsciously, her thumbs moved on to scroll through her list of contacts and a particular name caught her eye.

Baekhyun.

Given the long day she had had, she could be delirious at half past one, and that could, perhaps, explain why she had selected the 'call' option. As instinct took over, her thumb hovered over 'disconnect' but the rational side of her refused to continue the action. It would be probably be more odd if she hung up then. 

So the girl had tentatively pressed the screen against her ear, heart strangely calm while waiting. 

Considering how it was well past midnight, Taeyeon was fairly certain that he wouldn't pick up. But he did, after a few rings.

"Hello?"

She didn't have time to prepare for any speech, really. "Hey, umm. I'm sorry for disturbing but I didn't mean to call you ; it was an accident and I didn't think it'd be good to hang up so yeah. You should probably head to bed now, I'm really sorry—"

"Taeyeon." He interrupted her rambles.

Her breath hitched. There was a pregnant pause — one that dragged and was filled with curiosity. It felt so long that Taeyeon wondered if he was ever going to continue talking.

"... How have you been?"

"Great." The lie slipped through her lips so, so easily. "How about you?"

Unknowingly, she had shifted her position such that she was now sitting up and leaning against the headboard of her bed. It felt a whole lot like deja vu — those days when they would stay up to make late night phone calls.