chapter thirteen

FAR AWAY // SEO IN GUK
[press play]

16:05

Byun Baekhyun was caught staring, yet again.

The flight to Thailand was postponed to a few nights after, and hence Baekhyun had a day off. He had been strolling in the corridors of the company's building, trying to kill time since his electronic gadgets were all left in the dorm. 

The lad had his hands buried deep in the pockets of his grey baggy sweatpants as he leaned against the doorway, gazing past the door that stood ajar. In the practice room, Taeyeon was dozing off on the small couch (well, it seemed like a bed for her petite frame) and he had nearly barged into the room when she almost fell off the couch. There was an irresistible urge to lean her head against his shoulders, but he had brushed that temptation off pretty quickly, settling with just watching her from afar. 

"Is there pizza in that room?" 

Baekhyun jerked in surprise and spun, in time to catch Kyungsoo's raised eyebrows before his expression returned to that of an impassive one. It was rare for the serious bandmate to tease Baekhyun, but then again, he was probably the only one who truly understood Baekhyun. 

The brown-haired boy had his reasons for sharing different problems with different members. Chanyeol, for example, would understand Baekhyun's intentions without the latter having to say anything. The two best friends had a strong telepathy bond that had strengthened over the years, and Baekhyun knew he had Chanyeol to depend on whenever something bad happened.

As for other members like Jongdae and Minseok, they'd know in a flash when something's wrong with Baekhyun, and Baekhyun would approach them without hesitation. That was the boundary, however. Not that he didn't trust them ; the vocalist simply refused to spread negativity by voicing out his innermost thoughts. All of them were close — extremely intimate with each other — and he did want to go through thick and thin with them. But not this kind of thick and thin, where he literally moped over the loss of a girl due to not having the ability to love her.

Kyungsoo, however, was a different story altogether.

The younger one could see through Baekhyun in a flash every single time. He would coax Baekhyun into talking about the feelings that Baekhyun himself had hidden so deep, so quietly. Whenever the older one went all broody and serious, Kyungsoo would simply keep an eye on him, and wait for him to open up. After all, there was no use in forcing people to talk if they weren't prepared to. 

Baekhyun liked to think that it was because the pair was extremely similar in terms of the worries they harbour, and the way their thoughts formulated. Whatever the reason was, he always felt blessed to have Kyungsoo by his side whenever he needed someone.

"Go on in, there's no one—" Kyungsoo continued but was stopped by Baekhyun's hand that rushed to clamp against his mouth in a rush. He followed his gaze, eyes rested on the other guy that came into view inside the room.