special chapter

a new year edition special chapter.

\

New year party. 

Biting down on his lower lip, Byun Baekhyun cast a glance across the ballroom. Well, not really a ballroom, but a few large function rooms merged together to house the hundreds of staff. 15 minutes into the party and he had already lost half of his members to the crowd. It didn't help that the masquerade masks were largely similar and many men were of the same build.

Accepting a glass of champagne with a small courteous smile, he took a sip and appreciated the cool liquid flowing down his throat. Strangely, he wasn't in chatty mood that night. Probably because EXO had the next day off and he couldn't wait to dig into his mother's homecooked meal. 

In an attempt to escape from the loud chatters that erupted all around him, the beagle made his way to the entrance and leaned his back against the walls, occasionally sipping from the sparkling champagne. Hidden in the shadows, he was left alone and allowed to stare as much as he wanted to. 

And so he did. At the person he had laid his gaze upon the moment she stepped in.

Thump. Thump.

Even with the mask on, he would recognize her anywhere. 

She, Kim Taeyeon, was effortlessly beautiful. Hair tied in a low ponytail, strands of loose hair that fell were left framing her face. The off-shoulder wine red dress clung to her as if it was made specifically for her and her alone. On any other day, Baekhyun would have disapproved of the bare skin she's revealing at her shoulders area, but he had to admit that he was loving it. It showed just the right amount of skin and enticed the right kind of people. 

Holding a glass of champagne just like himself, Taeyeon was swirling it as she made small talk with a group of guys who he later deduced as SHINee. He found himself loving the way her shoulders scrunched whenever the boys made a cringing statement, and the way the corners of her red-tinted lips tugged at amusing happenings. 

She was effortlessly beautiful.

It was only when she was left alone again that Baekhyun realised he had been staring for far too long. Looking away, he rocked back on the balls of his feet. Pursed his lips. Couldn't help but notice, from his peripheral vision, that she had left the room quietly. 

"Baekhyun!" 

He turned towards the direction of whoever was calling him. Chanyeol came pushing through crowds and came to a halt in front of Baekhyun, mouth wide open and panting dramatically. 

"They are taking a group photo, come on!" 

Without waiting for a reply, Chanyeol grabbed Baekhyun's arm and trudged back the way he came. With slightly reluctant steps, the latter kept casting glances at the entrance before stopping altogether. Chanyeol glanced back questioningly. 

"Have fun." Passing the barely touched glass of wine to Chanyeol, he ignored the mutters of protest from his best friend and gave him a pat on the shoulder before making a beeline for the entrance. 

Unnoticed, Baekhyun slipped out of the ballroom.

//

The lobby was near empty, and it wasn't hard to spot her.