✦ ✧ e i g h t

[ day four ]

"hinata, have you ever once had a good idea?" tobio practically yelled over the ridiculously loud music.

"of course i have! im smart, unlike you. stupid kageyama. you can't even get your skates on," shouyo chided, beginning to laugh at tobio's exasperated efforts to tie his skates.

"remind me again why the hell we're here," tobio deadpanned, rolling his eyes for what seemed like the billionth time.

shouyo grinned a million dollar grin and pointed to himself with his thumb.

"because im a genius."

tobio was five hundred percent done.

"not only does that not answer my question, you look like an idiot trying to look like nishinoya."

shouyo blushed and sat down next to tobio. "we're here cause it's fun! don't you love roller skating? it's not like there's anything else to do in utah."

"now get up, we're going on the rink!"

tobio stumbled and stomped around on his skates, trying his hardest to regain his balance but to no avail.

"what, don't tell me you can't skate?" shouyo inquired, putting his hands on his hips and watched the pathetic scene playing out in front of him, which was tobio hilariously struggling.

"come on, ill teach you," shouyo said with a giggle, snatching up tobio's (trembling?) hands.

"hinata, stop! it's really not that funny!" tobio, who had fallen on the floor for the sixth time was seething in rage. shouyo, who had managed to only be dragged down by a flailing setter twice was laughing and pointing.

"you should've seen yourself! you went sprawling and then your face when you hit the floor was priceless!" shouyo wiped fake tears from under his eyes just to further taunt his friend.

he turned to a couple who was holding hands, the man of the couple desperately clinging on to the wall and the woman of the couple dragging him along.

"look, kageyama, you're blocking people," shouyo said, bending down and grabbing his sweaty hand then skating backwards.

tobio looked less than pleased.

"let me go, hinata dumbass! you're dragging my ass all over the floor, im gonna get dirty — ow," tobio exclaimed as shouyo dug his fingernails into tobio's hand, leaving red crescent shapes in his palm.

shouyo simply grinned as he let tobio go, then extended his hand again to help him up.

"come on, lazy idiot. im ready to skate!"

nine peppy songs, three slips and four "hinata dumbass!"s later, tobio had finally gotten okay at skating.

"sh— ah, hinata! im doing it!" though tobio's face showed no signs of being proud of himself (not even a smile), shouyo could tell that he was about to explode in self pride. his midnight blue eyes gleamed as bright as the sun and it warmed the red haired boy to the core.

"yeah i see that! we should go to the center of the rink. it's way more fun." shouyo clasped his hands together above his hands and flashed a hopeful smile.

"fine," tobio said, grunting yet the excitement was visible in his eyes.

"yay! i really think—"

shouyo was cut off by an announcement on the intercom. a happy sounding male voice boomed through the small building.

"it's time for couples to make their way on the rink! for two songs, join hands with your significant other and make a beeline for the center of the rink."

tobio blushed a deep red. shouyo looked constipated.

"ah, do you st-still wanna go in the center?" shouyo asked, looking sheepish.

"obviously," tobio snapped, still blushing. "come on."

tobio gathered shouyo's hand in his own and continued to lead him out to the center of the rink. many couples were already there, so the two just fell in line with the others. the lights above were pink, the disco ball projected white lights around the room. soft, romantic music played, and shouyo only became more uncomfortable.

he looked up at tobio who too looked uncomfortable, but neither said a thing. shouyo felt like he was suffocating.

"why—" shouyo began, but was cut off when tobio tightened his grip on shouyo's poor hand.

"i love you, you stupid fucking idiot!"

shouyo gasped. tobio looked, well, pissed.

"k-kageyama, your words don't um, match your tone," shouyo stammered, looking up at tobio.

and suddenly, everything felt surreal. the lights were too bright, the music was too loud, the air was too still and tobio was too close. way, way, way too close. shouyo's eyes welled up with tears and he took off, stopping briefly to take off his skates, and rushed outside.

tobio started to go after him, but then stopped. he felt horrible.

this wasn't how it was supposed to go. tobio was going to profess his love to shouyo, and the smaller boy was going to leap into his arms. it was supposed to be perfect, romantic even.

and as usual, tobio had gone and fucked it up.

what had he done?

some angst for my lovely readers.

( the last few paragraphs are so ooc im gagging )