✦ ✧ n i n e

[ day four ]
[ trigger warning for homophobia/mentions of homophobic slurs ]

tobio sighed a long and heavy sigh, two pairs of shoes hanging from his hands and the setting sun shining way too brightly in his face.

it was a beautiful evening, the setting sun making the atmosphere around the tall boy appear orange.

and, speaking of orange, there was also the issue of a certain orange haired boy that he had to find.

tobio's face was red and he was having trouble deciding whether or not the redness was from the sun or the embarrassment of being rejected by the only boy he's ever had a crush on.

to make the situation worse? he was rejected by shouyo. a tiny idiot who was probably the biggest loser tobio could think of.

except that, of course, he happened to very much love this big loser. (technically, tiny loser.)

said tiny loser sat alone on a curb, knees pulled up to his chest and his arms wrapped tightly around them. his head rested on his knees and his usually happy face held an uncharacteristic melancholy expression.

"hey," said tobio, practically throwing one of the two pairs of shoes he held. "you left without getting these back."

"thanks," came the mumbled reply. shouyo stared at the pavement and at the shoes as if they had grown arms and legs.

"wanna, um —" tobio said, shifting nervously and sitting down beside shouyo gingerly as to not scare him away, as if he was a schoolgirl trying to lure a stray cat into her embrace.

"wanna talk about it?" he finally continued, leaning forward to look at shouyo's stoic face.

his amber eyes, usually so full of life looked dead and empty as they stared ahead at the pair of shoes that were so apparently interesting.

his face looked rather pale, but tobio shook this observation away. it was probably just the lighting — were those tear streaks?

"i'm not like you," shouyo finally said. he broke his gaze from the pair of shoes to look directly into tobio's midnight blue eyes.

"what?" tobio replied, confusion evident on his face as he drew his eyebrows together.

"i'm, um," shouyo stuttered, seemingly at a loss for words for the first time in his life.

"i'm not a fa—" he began again but tobio quickly interrupted him.

"i wouldn't finish that statement if i were you, dumbass," he said. he almost always looked scary and sounded angry when talking, but now he looked really scary and really angry.

"you were gonna say the f-word, weren't you?" shouyo snickered at tobio saying "f-word" but tobio's face was devoid of humor.

"the one that ends with t?" he pressed on. shouyo looked embarrassed.

"yeah, i guess," he mumbled, nestling his head back down on his knees.

"don't," tobio warned.

he shifted, then spoke again. "so, as you were saying. you're not gay?"

"yeah," shouyo mumbled. it didn't seem definite. as if shouyo didn't really want to reply with "yeah".

"do you hate gay people? the word you were gonna say is mostly used by homophobic people. it's a disrespectful slur," tobio said. he carefully watched shouyo's face.

his eyes began to fill with tears — those beautiful amber eyes that tobio had fallen in love with.

"i'm sorry. my parents say it all the time. i didn't know it was wrong, i'm sorry kageyama. you can hit me wherever you want," he choked through tears, gingerly bringing a hand down to cover his crotch.

a rare half smile bloomed on tobio's face. "i'm not gonna hit you, dumbass. i just wanted you to know so that you don't say it around someone who will hit you."

tobio is sure he knows what's wrong.

"hinata, do your parents hate gay people?"

shouyo hesitated, then nodded.

"what do you think about when you think of me?"

shouyo seemed to erupt out of his sad mood, a brilliant smile that could dim stars replacing a frown.

"i think of volleyball! i love volleyball! i think of blue sweaters and maybe snow. i like blue sweaters and snow. your eyes remind me of how the sky looks at three am. it's a very pretty color! you also kind of remind me of a crow. all scary looking but actually crows are really cool! did you know that you can teach crows to talk just like parrots? that's so cool!"

tobio blushes many shades of red, his cheeks and even his ears turning scarlet.

"oh, yeah! and when i see you sometimes, it's hard to breathe. it's like when i get scared before a big match, except i don't throw up because you don't scare me that much."

tobio rolls his eyes and cracks a small smile.

"did you know that's exactly how i felt around you when i realized i was in love with you?"

shouyo let his eyes drift away from tobio's face and they went back to forlornly staring at the pavement.

"you mean... maybe i'm gay?" shouyo looked very skeptical.

"that's up to you to decide," tobio said with a small shrug. "i'm just trying to give you some advice."

shouyo nodded and looked back at the setter.

"maybe," he thought, looking around now. "maybe if nobody sees us, and maybe if his lips are really as soft as they look—".

shouyo leaned in and planted a small kiss on a surprised tobio's lips. he quickly pulled away, looking down and then back up.

"oh, stop," tobio said with a new glimmer in his eyes that shouyo had never seen. "you're a tease."

tobio leaned in this time, kissing the shorter passionately.

they pulled away, faces flushed and out of breath. shouyo practically attacked tobio with a signature hug, tears pooled in his eyes.

"thank you," he managed to whisper.

yikes i'm so sorry for the unexpected hiatus.

also. i'm sorry for the horrible kissing scene i can't write for shit-

anyways ahem thank u for reading this chapter!!