✦ ✧ f i f t e e n

[ day ten ]

"how long has it been?" shouyo moaned, hitting the back of his head repeatedly against the hot metal of the car, ignoring the pain.

tobio sighs and clicks his phone on to check the time. "you're gonna hate me for saying this. it's only been fifteen minutes." shouyo wanted to shriek.

"call the mechanic back. call nine one one. call someone, i'm about to die of heat stroke," he complained. "it's so cloudy but so hot, how does this work?"

tobio shrugged half heartedly, and closed his eyes waiting for a short bout of sleepiness to wash over him — he knew that would make time pass quickly.

he was on the odd brink of being asleep and being awake where his eyes were closed without him forcing them shut, he was relaxed but his senses were heightened. so it was no surprise when he jumped so violently when shouyo yelled that he probably got whiplash.

"i hope you're getting murdered over there, there's no excuse for yelling out like that other than murder," tobio grumbled, his voice deep and sleepy sounding.

shouyo jumped up and grabbed tobio by the wrist and pulled him up. "it's gonna rain! i felt a droplet on my nose!" he exclaimed.

tobio furrowed his brow in confusion. "why do you sound excited? we're gonna get soaked."

a laugh bubbled from shouyo. "yeah, and you sound like you've never had spontaneous fun. and we both know that's not true," he said, looking up at tobio who was now reddening.

"it's the point to get soaked. it's fun, tobio. smile! laugh!" shouyo raised his voice as the rain began to become more frequent, scattered droplets turning into a light shower.

not long after, tobio's hair is plastered to his head and fuck it, he's laughing because he's never felt more free in his life.

shouyo is making jokes that only two of them would understand, laughing along with tobio and full on cackling when he slips and falls, mud staining his entire front. he stops laughing when tobio throws a handful of cold, goopy mud at shouyo and it lands in his hair.

"wait!" shouts shouyo, clambering into the car and grabbing his phone, putting on some cheesy road trip playlist they had picked out to listen to at the beginning of the trip. "dance with me?"

tobio flushed red again, but nonetheless stepped forward and gathered shouyo's cold, wet hands in his own and twirled him. "i can't dance," he said, briefly worrying that shouyo will get mad.

"neither can i," he mumbled, swiftly taking the lead and dipping tobio so low his wet hair is dipped into the slick mud.

"shou! my hair — ack, stop it, bring me back up," he said, struggling as shouyo laughed.

"tobio called me shou, tobio called me shou," he said in a singsongy voice while tobio glared at him.

"don't be like that," he chided. "you haven't given me that look since our first year."

the stars shimmer above them, their bodies had long dried and the car had been fixed for hours. the shitty radio played gentle staticky music.

"your blanket is softer than mine," shouyo halfheartedly complained, rolling over and swatting at tobio, who had his eyes lightly closed.

he scoffed. "you're the one who wanted that gross scratchy blanket," tobio muttered.

"yeah but now i don't want it!" he cried, rolling like a log over onto the other blanket and straight into tobio's side.

"hey, stop cuddling me," tobio said, lightly swatting shouyo.

he laughed. "i wasn't even cuddling you, not my fault you took it that way."

tobio took a constipated look upon his face. "whatever," he growled finally. "it's fucking humid as hell out here. why do you have such bad ideas?"

shouyo scoffed in mock annoyance. "it's not a bad idea! besides, you like the stars don't you? aren't you like, obsessed with them or something?" he inquired, studying his boyfriend's face.

eyes widened and eyebrows knitted. "i am not. don't confuse me with oikawa, that jerk."

shouyo stood suddenly and looked down at tobio who now looked very surprised. "no, no, no! i specifically remember you telling me you liked the stars and space and all that science and math stuff. don't fight me on this," he shouted excitedly.

tobio frowned. "did not."

shouyo was about to say did too when tobio's face lit up in excitement. "shouyo! you're missing it, lay your ass down and look at the goddamn sky!"

the redhead's face lit up too and he quickly dropped to his knees and sunk into the scratchy blanket, watching as stars danced across the dark sky.

"i know what else is beautiful — wait, shit, you're supposed to say — let me start over. the stars are —" tobio struggled with his words, but shouyo only flashed him a knowing smile.

"the stars are beautiful?" he supplies, prompting his frazzled boyfriend on.

"you know what else is beautiful?" tobio purrs, smiling and turning his head to the side.

shouyo blushes and turns his head as well to meet tobio's midnight blue eyes. "me. you're so late and cheesy, yknow that? that pickup line has been around for so long, people are making memes out of it. you're gonna have to try harder to woo me, i guess," he said with a gentle and loving smile. tobio frowned from across from him.

"shut up," was all he could say in return.

DISGUSTING FLUFF. this is so late whoops