3

/434 days/

"I don't think she's coming," I sighed into the phone as soon as Margo picked up. I looked out the window to my side and passively watched people shove past others, because they all had more important places to be. Those who weren't rushed strolled with friends as they laughed about whatever. Some carried folded umbrellas to combat any potential rain showers hiding in the dreary sky. I had my own leaning against my chair. A girl stopped directly in front of me and adjusted her skirt in the reflection. To avoid a potentially awkward situation, I averted my attention back to the centerpiece of the table I was sat at: dainty daisies in a coffee mug that had been artfully doodled on in sharpie. "It's been thirty minutes."

"Oh, Evie. . . " she trailed. She had been like a mom that morning, getting ready to send her child off for her first day of school, cupping my face with a proud smile before sending me out the door. She even helped tame my monstrosity of hair. And now it was like a phone home saying that her child had been beaten up at recess.

I could almost hear the cogs turning in Margo's head, trying to think of something both comforting and realistic to say. "I really thought she liked you. She seemed ecstatic over the phone. Have you tried messaging her?"

"Yeah. She's not answering. I don't even know if she likes girls. I don't think I was expecting a romantic relationship to come out of this, it's just- it would be nice to have another friend." I picked at the frayed fabric of my seat as I glanced at the door, hoping a pretty brunette might walk through it. Outside it began to pour, and people hurried to take cover under their umbrellas.

"Well, it's her loss. Why don't you come back home and we can watch Disney or something, yeah?"

"Hunchback of Notre Dame?" I asked hopefully. It was my go to, I had always had a soft spot for Quasimodo. For Margo it was Toy Story.

"Of course. I'll even get some popcorn ready- you see how much I care? I could probably win an award for best flatmate."

"All right, I'll be home soon. I'm gonna stick around for a few minutes before heading back. Thanks, Margo." We said our goodbyes before hanging up.

Fifteen minutes passed with no sign of Dodie. I had prepared myself for the possibility of her giving me a fake number to Drunk Evie, but after she answered, and after she excitedly suggested meeting the very next day, I thought I was in the clear. I blew air out of my cheeks before begrudgingly standing up to leave. Rejection is never enjoyable- especially when I had to come to the realization on my own, sitting alone in a cute diy coffee shop, surrounded by other friends and couples.

I bought a hot chocolate for the road, the baristas giving me sympathetic looks. I made a beeline for the door, hurrying to escape their pity. I readied my umbrella before pushing through the door and heading back home. Not even a minute later my name could be heard being shouted from behind me.

I stopped in my tracks and turned around, strangers grumbling as they pushed passed me. I could see a familiar face running towards me- she was absolutely soaked.

"Dodie?"

"Evie!" She finally caught up to me, stopping for a moment to catch her breath. "I must look like a drowned rat, may I?" She pointed beside me under the umbrella.

"Yes, of course," I said, waving her in.

"I'm so sorry, Evie, I really overestimated my ability to wake up before three without an alarm clock. I meant to call, I really did, but I dropped my phone in the toilet before I had the chance. And then I only realized that I didn't have my scooter with me until I was leaving, so I practically ran the whole way here. It sounds crazy, but I swear-"

"Dodie, it's fine."

"You're sure?" she asked, looking at her toes. She was visibly shaking, and definitely not dressed for the weather in a t-shirt and skirt.

"Absolutely." I was just glad I hadn't been stood up. "So we're even now, yeah? I spill alcohol on your dress, you show up almost an hour late, that's how it works, right?"

She laughed, but didn't say anything. "You must be freezing! We can go to my flat and get you some warm clothes and decide what to do from there?"

"If it's not too much trouble?"

"Of course not. . . And you don't."

"Don't what?"

"Look like a drowned rat. You look lovely."

-

My flat wasn't far, so it was a short walk.

Upon arrival, Margo began talking from the couch, popcorn in hand, movie all ready, with her back turned. I'd forgotten to update her on the situation. "Are you ready to watch Quasi and forget all about that bitch?" Margo wooped and started the movie, patting the cushion next to her.

I turned to Dodie wide eyed, unsure of how to continue. She murmured, "Oh my god, I'm so sorry."

"Mar-"

"-I'm the only friend you need! You won't even remember her name b-"

"Dodie was running late and is drenched. I brought her home so she could dry up a bit." Only then did Margo bother turning around. She jumped up from the couch upon seeing Dodie.

I, uh. . ." Her eyes trailed around the room, processing everything she had just said and how to go from there. " I'm Margo, Evie's flatmate. I made some popcorn, if you'd like some."

"I think we're just going to head to my room and get her some dry clothes."

"Okay! I'll be, uh, the popcorn'll be right right," Margo said, setting the bowl on the coffee table. "And I'll just-" She darted into her room, consumed by the awkwardness.

I laughed uneasily. "I'm sorry, I forgot to tell her that you actually showed up. She's a really nice person, just a bit protective."

"No, I completely understand."

I gave her a smile and lead her to my bedroom. Dodie wandered around my room as I rummaged for warm clothes she could wear.

"Your walls," she whispered, referring to the sunshine color.

"They came with the place," I grinned, not wanting to admit that I'd painted them on a whim after making a personal connection with the vibrant color. I didn't know what it was about it, it just reminded me of good times.

"I like them." She peered at me, and I knew that she could tell that I had lied.

"Uh, here," I said, handing her a pair of sweat pants and a sweater. "It'll be good to take a shower. The bathroom's just across the hall."

"Thank you so much, Evie. You've just been nothing but kind to me. I'm usually apprehensive with people I don't know all that well, but I feel like I can trust you."

Hearing that made my heart palpitate. But because I'm weird I had to also make the situation weird. I flashed my most sinister smile and growled in the lowest voice I could muster, "The night's not over yet." And then I proceeded to apologize repeatedly for being creepy.

"Oh, stop it," Dodie laughed, pushing my face backwards before leaving me alone in my room.