6

/404 days/

"How long have you liked her?" Tom asked immediately as I walked into the kitchen upon arrival at work. He was doing the dishes slowly, staring down at the plate he was scrubbing in concentration. I was taken aback.

"I- Dodie is just my friend," I furrowed my brows as my anger gained momentum. "You know, just because I'm gay doesn't mean I fall in love with every girl I happen to lay my eyes o-"

"I never said a name," he smirked, finally raising his head from the dishes to look me in the eyes. "And you're blushing right now. I can tell this is different. It's pretty plain to see. So, how long have you liked her?"

I sighed. "I guess since I met her at your party."

Tom nodded. He continued washing, and there was a silence. Things were weird for a bit after I told him I was gay, but he got over it pretty fast. He seemed more relaxed around me, maybe even a little less awkward now.

I decided that since he knew anyways, I might as well get some information out of him. "Is there any chance that she likes girls?"

"Hard to say. She's been with the same guy for as long as I've known her."

"Do you know Charlie, her boyfriend? What's he like?" I hadn't had the chance to meet him when I had slept over. I was secretly relieved, but Dodie assured me there'd be other opportunities.

His face twisted into something sour and disgusted. "Biggest fucking asshole I've ever met."

/400 days/

My phone vibrated in my pocket as I watched America's Next Top Model alone in my room. Half the girls in the house were in the middle of a cat fight, and things were getting pretty heated. I was prepared to decline the call, but Dodie's name appeared. I paused the show.

"Hello."

"Hi, you don't work today, correct?"

"Correct."

"Perfect! I've got a surprise for you," Dodie squealed through the phone.

I sat up in bed and wiped the crisp crumbs from my shirt, grinning. "And whatever would that be?"

"I got you. . ." she made anticipatory drumming noises, "a date with a hot lesbian!"

My smile dropped. I was unsure of how to react. I thought about Margo, and how she told me to look for other gay fish in the sea. And here was one, reeled up by Dodie. "Oh. That's great!" I said, still a bit wary. But I supposed I should get back into the dating scene if I were to ever truly get over Dodie. She kept sending me mixed signals. If she'd been single, I would've definitely thought she was making advances towards me when I'd slept over. But I needed to get it through my head: Dodie has a boyfriend. We are just friends.

"Her name's Bridget. She's really sweet; I think you'll get along great." She told me when and where I'd meet her.

"Alright. Thanks, Dodie."

"For sure! Tell me how it goes!" We said our goodbyes before hanging up. I glanced at the clock and sighed. If I wanted to look half decent I'd have to start getting ready now. America's Next Top Model would have to wait.