5

/410 days/

I awkwardly shifted the sleeping bag under my arm as I knocked on the door. I had been ecstatic for the sleepover, until I realized I hadn't had a proper slumber party since I was a kid. Are grown up sleepovers different? What are we going to do? I was unsure of what to bring, so I had to beckon Margo for help.

Dodie answered with her beaming smile that immediately lifted the corners of my own lips. She exclaimed my name as she wrapped me in a tight hug. I dropped my things to return it. I couldn't help but notice how nice she smelled.

"Charlie isn't here right now, but you should get to meet him before you leave."

I held in any ornery grumbles that might've left my mouth if I hadn't decided to only think of Dodie as a friend. I would meet her probably very kind boyfriend, and I would like him.

Admittedly, my initial positive attitude to simply being friends, and of only thinking of Dodie as a friend fell apart upon going home that night. I cried, hugged Margo, cried some more, watched Where the Wild Things Are, and finished off my grand evening by crying. I came to my senses the second (and final, I assured myself) time the following morning when Margo assured me that there are other single, gay fish in the sea. And that I was, after all, quite the catch. (Insert studio audience laughter here- puns!)

Dodie motioned me inside, and kindly picked up my bags before I had the chance to. Her flat was cozy and cute. All the walls were white, but there were fairy lights strung about in some places. Everything was rather tidy, which was surprising considering how unorganized Dodie came across at times.

"I've got board games, movies, snacks. . . and wine!"

"I'll try not to spill on you again," I said, blushing at the thought of how reckless Drunk Evie had been.

Dodie laughed. "I've hidden all my white clothes, just in case."

My gaze was drawn toward a ukulele, leaning on the wall in the opposite corner of the room. I pointed to it. "Do you play?"

Dodie seemed shocked for a moment, then blushed. "I'm not all that good, but yeah."

"Let me be the judge of that," I said rather boldly.

She rolled her eyes as she walked over to the ukulele and picked it up. "I've written some songs, uh, most recently this one."

She began strumming chords and started singing. "She knows this feeling all too well. She feels her heart begin to swell."

I'm not all that good my ass. She continued singing her adorable upbeat song. I'd always been envious of people who were musically gifted. My fingers weren't coordinated enough to play instruments, and my voice was reminiscent of a pterodactyl screeching, or so I'd imagine. I've never heard a pterodactyl screech in person.

Dodie finished the song, leaving me speechless. "Holy shit, Dodie, that was amazing! Is this something you want to pursue as a career?"

"Oh, no. I mean, I guess that would be the dream, but it's not very realistic."

"The film field of work isn't all that practical either, especially for a woman. But there's gotta be people who break through, and become successful, why not you or me? Honestly, if anyone could make it, it'd be you."

Dodie bit her lip. "Thanks Evie. I guess I'm still trying to figure things out." She changed the subject, "I've got Cards Against Humanity, it's awful, but hilarious."

So we drank some wine and played the awful but hilarious game. We ended up playing it for most of the night, the cards sparking tangents upon tangents of conversation. I was thoroughly enjoying myself.

Dodie shifted in her spot on the couch. "I think I'm ready to get into my pajamas."

"Good idea, me t-"

My breath hitched as Dodie stripped her shirt, revealing her bralette. I stood frozen, unsure of what to do. Turn around? Cover my eyes? Act normal and start changing too, is that what friends do?

Meanwhile, Dodie seemed to be free of dilemma, and casually slipped off her skirt. Usually this was far from the behavior I received from female friends after telling them I was lesbian. Usually they were more cautious, less open and comfortable with me. Once in high school, some of my 'friends' went as far as to move to the opposite side of the locker room as me when they found out.

After a few seconds of standing dumbfounded, I decided it'd be best to get on my pajamas, and try not to think about the unfolding situation too hard. I was far less graceful than Dodie while changing, getting my head stuck in the hole of the t-shirt. This resulted in laughter and a rescue mission from Dodie.

I couldn't see her, but I felt her hands wrap around the shirt's hem, and heard her still-lingering chuckle in close proximity. Her fingers slightly brushed my ribs as she tugged my shirt, only for a split second, but still sending my brain into overdrive and chills throughout my body. Another tug did the trick.

Her hands remained on my waist for a moment as she smiled at me. "There you go," she said. I tried to play it cool, but couldn't do much about the blush that was inevitably spreading through my face, other than hope she didn't notice. She tended to have that effect on me. I didn't expect the night to get this intimate. Is this normal? Does she act like this around all of her friends? I told myself that she was probably just a bit tipsy from the wine, but I didn't really believe that.

Dodie let her arms drop to her sides. "Wanna watch 13 Going on 30?"
----
It was nearing one in the morning by the time the movie was done, and I was getting sleepy. I'd never been one who could pull all nighters, I adored my sleep far too much. I glanced over to see an already sleeping Dodie. I turned the telly off, grabbed an extra pillow and blanket, and got myself comfortable on the floor, leaving the couch for her.

Minutes went by before Dodie began to stir.

"Evie?"

"Yeah?"

"I'm glad you spilled your drink on me."

I grinned dumbly into the darkness. "Me too."