Chapter Eight

Andrew stretched the paint brush and ran it down the wall of the living room in straight, even strokes. Sisi stood by his side, painting her own side of the wall. He smiled. The woman was stubborn and ambitious, determined to work alongside him even if she looked totally clueless. He shook his head and climbed down the stool. She glanced up as he came to stand beside her.

“Let me show you” He smiled and reached for her brush. She hesitated, her eyes examining him. “Well, if you insist on helping out, at least learn how to do it right. I don't need you ruining my work” He smiled once more and she rolled her eyes. He held out his hand to her and she gave him the brush. “Here” He said, rolling it up the wall in one even stroke. “Move a little and do the same thing. It's really no big deal” He explained. “It just requires patience”

“I see” She watched intently.

“Here, let me show you” He handed the brush back to her and stood behind her. Gripping her hand that held the brush, they made even strokes on the wall. “There, you will be a pro in no time!” He announced.

****

Sisi stiffened at Andrew's closeness. He probably meant nothing by it but his closeness made her heart pound. She frowned and dropped the paint brush.

“Would you like something to drink?” She turned to face him.

“Yes, please. I could use a break” He dropped his paint brush. “Do you need help?”

“No” I need space, from you! She averted her gaze. “Juice, water, soda?”

“Juice, please”

“Juice it is” She said, making her way to the kitchen. Once there, she sat down on a kitchen stool and took a deep breath. Why did she feel like she couldn't breathe when she was around Andrew? She frowned. What was it about this man?

She rose up and made her way to the refrigerator where she pulled out a jar of orange juice then she pulled two cups from the cupboard. She placed them on a tray and turned to go back to the living room but came face to face with Andrew.

“I thought I told you I was fine”

“I know, I just thought it would be nice if we can sit outside in the yard for a while”

No, no, no! She wanted to yell but forced a smile instead. “Okay” She changed direction and walked out the backdoor to the yard. The pool still stood empty; she hadn't decided whether or not she wanted to fill it up, the flowers needed trimming but she was too busy trying to fix things around the house and Tia had become extremely busy with school; she had missed a lot because she was out of school for two years. She had a lot to catch up on.

They walked outside and placed themselves on the garden seats. She poured the juice in a cup and handed it to him. He accepted it, taking a seat beside her as she turned to pour some of the liquid into her own cup.

“Hm... The weather today is quite nice” He observed. She ignored him and brought the cup to her lips. “Tell me, what are your plans for this part of the house?”

“I'm not sure yet” She answered, juice in hand. “I'm too busy trying to fix the inside. I still need to buy furniture”

He nodded his head and took a long sip of his juice, his eyes scanning the environment.

“Why don't you paint professionally?” She observed him.

“I am a Pastor and while painting is a gift, teaching the Word is an anointing. I can't paint full time plus I do it for fun”

“Still, there is no harm making a little extra cash on the side. Surely, your God wouldn't be offended”

“My God?” He turned to look at her, his forehead wrinkling to form a frown. “We do not share the same God?”

She turned away from his scrutiny.

“What misunderstanding do you have with him?”

“Misunderstanding?” She turned to face him, confused.

“Well, you sound angry, to say the least”

Angry is such a small word. She took a long sip of her juice and averted her gaze. She didn't want to be given a lecture on why she was wrong to be angry and why God didn't owe her an explanation. But she had every right to be angry. She had so many reasons to be upset and yes, God might not want to give her an explanation but he owed her one. She made a fist.

“Sisi” He touched her hand.

“We should get back to work” She rose up and walked back inside, leaving him sitting there, confused.