Chapter Twelve

Andrew sat and listened intently as Sisi spoke of her plans to throw Tia a surprise birthday party. Even though she had no idea what a teen's party entailed, she insisted to him that it would be a nice idea and he agreed, even offered to help.

His relationship with Sisi had grown and had exceeded just painting her walls; she treated him like a friend. He smiled at the thought. At first, she had been reserved, some times even mean, but he had grown to know and care for her and Tia. Most nights, he had dinner here. He had invited them to Church severally but Sisi had rejected his invitation. He was persistent until Tia convinced Sisi it wouldn't be a bad idea to go once in a while. Hence, they visited Church for two sundays. He was hoping that before he leaves tonight, he would convince her to come again the coming Sunday. 

“So, what do you think of these colours?” Her gaze fixed on him.

“Sky blue and white? Hm, seems okay, but boring. Again, Sisi, you are accused of being boring” He laughed and she gave him a sour look.

“What do you suggest?” She looked clueless and he smiled at the look on her face; she loved Tia.

“How about sky blue and gold or red? It might not be one of her favourite colours but most girls like shiny stuffs and red is every fan's favorite”

“Hm” She took down notes diligently on a small book pad. Glancing up, her face took on a serious expression. “Andrew, what is the process for Adoption in South Africa?”

“Adoption, you want to...” His voice trailed off in realization. “Tia?” She nodded her head.

“I want to be her mother” She said, her gaze shifting away for a while. “I want to give her a home”

“That is a great idea” He smiled.

“Yes, but I want it done quickly, before her birthday. I want to give it to her as a gift. I mean, I hope she will like it”

“I know she will! I can tell that she loves you very much, Sisi” She smiled and she looked beautiful. He shook his head. He hadn't been able to get their date off of his mind. He had replayed it in his head over and over again and was planning on the right time to ask her on another date. She was extremely beautiful. Sad, but beautiful and he was attracted to her. No, he was drawn to her. He enjoyed every moment he sat talking to her.

****

Tia grabbed Sisi's hand as they made their way back home that evening. She wasn't feeling too fine and although she had hidden it from Sisi, she felt dizzy and needed to lay down but it was her birthday and Sisi had treated her to a 'junk full' day. That evening, they had gone to the Cinema to see a late movie and were making their way home. She couldn't wait to lay down.

Sisi stopped in her tracks and glanced at her. “I have to get something from Jean but you can go home”

“Okay” She turned away and made her way back home. She climbed up the front stairs and put the key in. Turning the door nob, she pushed the door open. The lights were off. She reached for the light switch and turned it on.

“Surprise!”

She jumped at the sound and held her eyes shut, feeling a strong headache coming on.

“Happy Birthday, Tiara” Sisi hugged her from behind.

Tears filled her eyes as she turned to return Sisi's hug. “Thank you” She whispered.

“Happy Birthday” She turned to see many familiar faces; Jean and her husband, Andrew and a few friends from school. They all held balloons in their hands.

“There's the birthday girl” Andrew picked her up and twirled her around. She giggled. “Happy Birthday beautiful” He planted a kiss on her forehead.

Her birthday went smoothly. She had a beautiful sky blue coloured vanilla and strawberry flavored cake with a big white bow on top. After taking lots of pictures and cutting the cake, Sisi stood in the centre of the living room.

“Can I have every one's attention?” She called as everyone quieted down and stared at her. “I'm so blessed to have you, Tiara. I'm not good at giving speeches but I just wanted to tell you this; I'm blessed to have you and I want to keep you. Happy birthday” She handed her a white envelop.

She stared at the envelop in her hands, confused.

“Open it” Andrew probed.

She tore it open and was greeted by another paper. Confused, she unfolded the neatly folded paper and stared at the words written on it. Adoption papers. Her eyes grew wide as she saw her name on the paper. Sisi had adopted her! She stared at Sisi, tears filling her eyes.

“I would love to be your mother. I have never gotten a chance to be a mother before but I could learn, if you are willing to be patient with me”

She opened her mouth to speak but the words wouldn't form. No, she couldn't accept this, she couldn't accept to be Sisi's child when all she had done to repay Sisi's kindness was lie to her. She had been such a horrible person; a liar and a cheat. Sisi might think she loves her now but she would despise her when she finds out the truth about her.

Turning around, she ran out of the living room and up the stairs into her bedroom. Slamming the door shut, she threw herself on her bed and wept until her entire world turned black.