Chapter Thirteen

Shocked and confused, to say the least, Sisi stood glued to her position in the living room. What just happened? She didn't know what to think; was Tia upset that she had adopted her, was she happy, was she shocked or did she find it offensive? So many questions ran through her mind in the space of one second. So many possible reasons for her reaction but it all came down to one; Tia was unhappy.

Of course, Sisi, you always have to ruin everything. She shook her head. Gathering her composure, she turned to face the equally shocked crowd.

“Thank you all for coming. I think the party is over” She said, dismissing them.

With a loud murmur, everyone filed out the front door. Everyone but Jean, Ben and Andrew. Jean made her way towards her and gave her a hug.

“You did a fantastic job with this party” She whispered into her ears. “Don't be too hard on yourself, the child might be upset but it has nothing to do with you. Talk to her” She held her at arms length and looked into her eyes. “I'm praying for you, Sisi” She smiled and turned to her husband. “Ben and I are leaving. Goodnight”

“Goodnight” Sisi managed as they made their way out of the building.

“Do you need me to stay?” Andrew asked.

She was about to reject his offer but nodded her head instead. She needed someone to cry on if Tia eventually rejects her as a mother. It would be a great rejection, too many children had rejected her already.

“Okay” He nodded his head. “You should talk to her while I fix you both a cup of cocoa” He walked over and wrapped his arms around her for a brief moment. She relaxed in his embrace and allowed his warmth bring comfort her way.

While her eyes burned with unshed tears, she mustered the energy to hold back her tears as she made her way up the stairs and knocked on Tia's bedroom door.

“Tia?” She pounded on the door. “Sweetheart, if you hated the gift, we can undo it in court. I'm so sorry” She swallowed. “I didn't mean to shock or confuse you” Silence followed. “Tia?” No response. She pushed the door open and saw Tia laying on the bed, face pressed against the mattress. “Tia?” She panicked as she ran to her. “Tiara!” She pulled her but her body felt heavy and still. “Andrew!” She ran to the bedroom door and yelled for him.

****

Andrew had barely started making the cup of cocoa when he heard Sisi's frantic call. He dropped the cup in his hand and ran up the stairs. He ran into Tia's room and saw Sisi struggling with her still form on the bed.

“What in heaven!”

“I don't know!” She wailed.

He reached where she stood and picked Tia up in his arms. He ran down the stairs, Sisi in tow and they drove her to the Hospital.

They were made to sit and wait while the Doctors tried to figure out what was wrong with Tia. Sisi however, could not sit for even a second. She paced back and forth for what seemed like a week.

“Sisi” He walked over to her and pulled her close. She collapsed in his embrace, her body trembling against him. “She will be fine”

“I'm so stupid, I killed her” She wailed.

“She is not dead. We'll know what is wrong in a little while”

“It has been hours!” She moaned.

“No, Sisi, it has been thirty minutes” He smiled at her and kissed her forehead. “I'm here with you, you'll be fine and so will Tia”

Just then, a Doctor walked up to them. Sisi pushed away from him and turned to face the Doctor in anticipation of the news.

“Are you her parents?” He asked, his eyes focusing on Andrew who was obviously white and couldn't pass as Tia's father in a million years.

“I'm her mother” Sisi managed.

"I think you need to sit down" He said.