Chapter Nine

When I think my bed will comfort me and my couch will ease my pain, even then you frighten me with dreams and terrify me with visions

Tia stood and watched in utter horror as Sisi writhed and squirmed on the bed, her face reflecting the fear she must have been experiencing in her dreams.

Tears rolled down her cheeks as she watched. Sisi wasn't just having a nightmare, she was experiencing something horrific, something that caused yells of terror and moans of pain to escape her lips. She reached for her.

“Aunty?” She jerked away from Tia's touch, her hands moving instantly to rest on her chest.

“No!” She yelled. “Don't! No! Please! No!”

“Aunty!” Tia was horrified. She reached for Sisi once more but her comfort was met with strong resistance.

“No! Leave me alone!”

Tia sat by the bed side, confused at what to do. She had never seen anything this terrifying. Drawing her knees up to her chest and putting her hands over her head, she placed her head on her knees and wept until dawn.

****

Dawn. Sisi awakened, her night gown soaked in her sweat. Her head was pounding and her face was wet with tears. She shifted slightly and her body felt a still form beside her. She stiffened. Who could it be. She turned her head and caught a glimpse of someone lying under the blanket.

“Who?” She whispered, raising the blanket slightly. “Tia” She laid sleeping, tears stained her cheeks. Sisi frowned at the sight of her tears.

Deciding not to disturb her because it was a weekend, she rose up from the bed and made her way down stairs to the kitchen. She glanced around. Andrew had began to help them change the wall papers in the kitchen the day before, two days after he had painted the entire living room with her help, of course. She reached the refrigerator and pulled out eggs then reached for the cabinet where she stored flour. They were having pancakes for breakfast.

Twenty minutes later, she had two plates stacked with pancakes. Pouring herself a mug of hot cocoa, she heard Tia's small foot steps come down the stairs. She turned just in time to see Tia enter the kitchen.

“Good morning” She smiled at Tia but she averted her gaze.

“Good morning”

“Something wrong?” She walked over and threw her arms around her.

“Nothing” She barely returned her hug. Sisi frowned. Tia was a hugger. What was wrong?

She released her hold on her. “I made breakfast”

Tia mumbled something she didn't quite hear before making her way to the fridge where she poured herself a glass of milk and grabbed her breakfast from the table. “May I please eat in my room?”

Sisi looked at her, confused. “Since when?”

She shrugged. “Please?”

“Can we sit and talk?”

Tia didn't respond but she took the seat next to Sisi.

“Did you sleep well?” Sisi said, cocoa in hand. She rose the cup to her lips and drank from it.

Tia shook her head, her eyes tearing up.

“What happened?” Sisi faced her, concern etched on her face.

“You” The teen managed, after a few seconds. “You cried all night. You were having night mares and when I tried to calm you down, you pushed me away. You wouldn't let me comfort you” She finished, a loud sob escaping her lips.

Sisi fought against her own tears. “My beloved” How could she begin to explain to her that night mares were a part of her life and she had learned to cope. She couldn't imagine the fear that must have filled Tia. “I'm sorry I woke you up”

Tia shook her head, tears streaming down her cheeks. “That is not what scared me the most. What scared me is seeing you like that, knowing you are afraid, knowing something haunts you like that. And, the fear that I might find you dead one day!” She wailed.

Sisi rushed to her side and hugged her tightly. She pulled away and wiped her tears. 

“I love you, Aunty!”

She stared at Tia, a deep feeling of compassion filling her. It had been just two months since she came to Johannesburg and met her but she cared deeply for this young girl.

“I love you too, Tia” She smiled. “I love you, very much, my child” She said and Tia cried some more.