Chapter Seventeen

The Doctor placed Tia on Anti retroviral drugs even if it was almost too late to begin taking them. The tumor in her lungs had grown and she had managed to get another opportunistic infection; pneumonia. By New years eve, she could no longer breathe on her own and had to be placed on oxygen.

The next two months was so difficult for Sisi, she felt as if she was losing her mind. She lost so much weight and looked a lot older. Andrew stood by her side through it all and she was thankful for him. Her birthday came by and she didn't even realize it until that evening, when Andrew insisted she let him take her out for dinner. Of course he asked her out on another date in Tia's presence and while the teen was sick, she pulled off her oxygen mask to give a happy “of course it's a yes!”

They walked into the restaurant together and the next thing she knew, she was seated on a table of four; Ben, Jean and Andrew surrounded her with gifts.

By the time the night was over, Andrew took her home.

“Happy birthday” He smiled and handed her a small package as they stood in front of her door. 

“You haven't done enough today already?” She lifted a brow. “Thank you, Andrew. Not just for today, for everything, for you” She leaned forward and hugged him and he stiffened. She pulled away and accepted his gift. “Thank you” She said and he nodded.

She sat on her bed that night and tore open his gift. It opened up to a small black book that was inscribed journal in front. Confused, she turned the front page; To my precious boy, A. I love you always. At the bottom of the page was written; happy Birthday Sisi. I hope you find the answers you seek. She smiled and turned to another page.

Note to self
I'm not sure I can go on living. The world holds nothing for me and if I ever come out of this hell home, I'm never coming back.

She stared at the words before her, written in the writing of who she presumed was a teen. She sat back and flipped to the next page.

Note to self
I finally left. After he threatened me with his gun and told me how worthless I am once more, I promised myself it would be the last time. Where I'm going? Anywhere but here.

Note to self
I had to steal today. I know, I promised mum I would never become a criminal but I had no choice, I would have starved to death.

She pulled the journal shut and held it in her hands. Why had Andrew given this to her? Not sure she could read any further, she placed the book on the side table. She leaned back and drifted to another troubled sleep.