five:melted memories

" Cece, I'm going to the store, I'll be right back. " He yelled from down stairs. She then wobbled her way over to him as he watched. She wrapped her arms around his torso, while the intruding belly got in their way.

" Bring me something to eat please. " She added.

" Alright." He laughed.

 He kissed her forehead while smiling down at her, reminiscing at the past. Seems like just yesterday they were the two teenagers in high school, madly in love. Skipping class just to be together, her having to sneak out of the house so they can go on dates. Daddy didn't quite have the liking of " that D'Angelo August " he would say. D'Angelo didn't meet up to the standers her father set for her. Coming from a broken home, having to live bu the rules of the streets, and being the man of the house, he didn't have time to worry about those standards. All he knew is that he loved his Cecilia and all she knew is  she loved her D'Angelo, and that's all that mattered in their book. Now six months pregnant with a coming up anniversary of seven years, you can tell that's all that mattered. Not if he had collage planned out, a high paying job, money in the bank, or even an apartment of his own....

" Cecilia, baby. Answer me, come out!!!" he bellowed. 

A fire had started while he was gone, and by the time he gotten back it was too late. But that wasn't going to stop him, he had to save her. He ran up to the house, trying to breakdown the door. Smoke was escaping through the windows and out of the chimney, cloging his eyes. Waving his arm, he felt himself being moved out of the way, being pulled over to the side.

" Sir, you can't go in there!!" The firefighter commanded.

He looked from the firefighter, to the house, and back again. When it all finally sunk in, he realized, " My Cecilia is in there." By this time he was already in, searching for Cecilia. Despite the pain and the shock, he was surprised to find that it was possible to think clear.  His skin was tingling in every way possible. His eyes burned from the smoke that filled the air and his lungs ached from lack of fresh air. He frantically glanced around, but all he saw was flame. He then looked down at his hand; the skin was darkening. Watching it burn was almost as bad as feeling it. He was sure he would be dead in minutes, but he refused to leave her. Still, a glimmer of hope kept him alive. He ran through the kitchen, searching for any sign of her. When failed, he carefully, but hastily, ran up the stairs, listening for her voice. 

" D'Angelo, I'm in here!!!" She yelled.

He broke down the door that held her captive to have flame burst through, but he ran over and scoped her up. 

The baby, D , the baby." She cried.

" Cece, hang in there, I'll get you out." But only if he knew. 

The rest of the floor dropped, and it was too much to bear. The fire squealed and the crackle of the dark blue paint chipping was all you he heard now. No more screaming for help. The candle had been knocked over and the tethered draperies had immediately caught fire. The house, along with both body's had been taken over.

Months later the funeral was being held for Mr. and Mrs. August. Usually at funerals, the setting was dreary and sad. But this was the complete opposite. he wind was blowing lightly, while the sun shown through the clouds. Birds were chirping and you could hear the faint laughs of kids in the background. While everyone was taking their seats, one of  D'Angelo's friends, Jacob, took the podium. Everyone quieted down, focusing their attention on him.

" D'Angelo had lived an amazing life even though it was rather short. Being was a great friend, the  kind of friend that stands by you when you need somebody to be there. He once saved my life. We were both young kids then and we weren’t very close. I was hastily walking across the street when D'Angelo saw a speeding car. If it wasn’t for him, I would have died right there. That’s how I became close to D'Angelo, that was 10 years ago and we’ve been inseparable ever since. I remember once he told me he met a girl who stole his heart." 

Everyone stopped and looked at the second casket that belonged to the one and only, Cecilia.

" What is it that we remember when we think of D'Angelo? I think everyone who knows him very well would agree with me on this. It was his sense of humor. He was the kind of person that would make everyone laugh so hard that they’d end up crying. Who could forget about his yo mama jokes? Goodness! Just thinking about those jokes still makes me laugh. He was so out there when he starts those jokes. That is what I will truly miss about him."

Jacob paused for a moment to look over at the empty casket. Everyone could feel the pain that filled the room. Jacob cleared his throat to keep himself from crying before starting back up again,

" D'Angelo's death was sudden. I remember when I heard the news I simply could not believe it. He was too young but as it slowly occurred to me I have realized that he lived his life wonderfully. Michael was well-loved and he had done so many things on earth and I’m sure he’ll do much more in heaven. Along with Cece also. I will forever be grateful to have known him. I will forever be grateful that D'Angelo was there at the right place and at the right time to save my life. I will forever be grateful for spending 10 years of my life with a friend like him. All the memories I have shared with him will forever be cherished and remembered. D'Angelo will forever live in my heart… In our hearts. So at this moment when we are about to lay his body to rest, let’s all think back and remember how D'Angelo touched our lives. How he made us laugh and how good he was as of a person. This is not the moment for us to shed our tears but we should all be thankful that we were given the chance to have known a man named D'Angelo August. He'll will forever be missed but I know in the right time, I will meet him again." 

Tears were shed while he stepped off the podium. No words were said as both caskets were being lowered into the cold ground. Screams were echoing through the graveyard and cry's of  mourned tears were being cascaded throughout the air. The death of Mr. and Mrs.August was a melancholy to everyone.

[ ᴏᴋᴀʏ, ɪ ᴘᴇʀsᴏɴᴀʟʟʏ ʟɪᴋᴇ ᴛʜɪs ᴏɴᴇ ᴡᴀʏ ʙᴇᴛᴛᴇʀ. ᴛᴇʟʟ ᴍᴇ ᴡʜᴀᴛ ʏᴏᴜ ᴛʜɪɴᴋ ᴏғ ɪᴛ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴄᴏᴍᴍᴇɴᴛs, ᴀɴᴅ ɪ sʜᴏᴜʟᴅ ʙᴇ ᴜᴘᴅᴀᴛɪɴɢ ᴇɪᴛʜᴇʀ ᴛᴏᴅᴀʏ ᴏʀ ᴛᴏᴍᴏʀʀᴏᴡ :)  ғᴏʀɢɪᴠᴇ ᴍʏ ᴍɪssᴛᴀᴋᴇs ᴘʟᴇᴀsᴇ ᴄ: ]