Chapter 6

"Morning Dan! Mind if I show you something in the back a moment?" Becca's mischievous voice keeps his thoughts from wondering too far.

"Sure." He complies following her into the storage room.

"We got this new kind of fence panel and I wanted you to take a look at it." Becca covers her real reason for bringing him into the storage room.

"I'm sure they are great. Becca, you can't fool me that easy what is the real reason for bringing me back here?" Dan's voice is soft, but stern.

"Don't give up on her!" Becca declares, the comment does not surprise Dan, but makes his wheels start to turn. Becca refuses to tell more, but demands he makes an effort at keeping her in his life.

While Dan and Becca are in the back Tylee looks throw the new winter jackets. She finds one that fits great and decides to replace her worn out one with it. When they come back she places her feed and supply order and purchases the jacket.

"Bye Becca. Bye Dan." Tylee concludes with a small nod and an expression Dan can't quite read.

"Your leaving already?" Becca questions.

"Yeah, I have to get the cattle fed and get horses up." Tylee tells her feeling slightly uncomfortable with Dan around. She felt on top of the world when he smiled at her, but her heart sinks when the growing list of winter chores comes back tot haunt her. 

"But the cancer benefit is tonight." Becca argues.

"Becca, I can't I need to get stuff done." Tylee tells her aggravated and ready to get away from the tension she feels from being around Dan.

"Tyyyyleeeee! You never do anything but work on that stupid ranch!" Becca exclaims her words enrage Tylee. Instead of replying with hurtful words Tylee asks God for patients and pushes past Dan to the door. Dan is shocked by how Becca describes Hearts Bond. With out thinking he quickly turns and follows Tylee and Daisy out the door.

"Tylee wait!" He calls as her door closes, she hears his call and debates if she should open the door back. Against her better judgement she opens the door as he jogs up. 

"She doesn't know what she's talking about." He tells her while leaning up against the door.

"She's right I don't do anything but work." She tells him not making eye contact.

"You are dedicated and you love what you do, even a broke cowboy can see that." He tells her making her giggle and glance up. "You make it look easy to run a ranch by yourself, you have a smile on your beautiful face and it doesn't fade easily."

Tylee allows her eyes to drift to his as he whispers the last sentence. She feels herself being pulled into a 'love pool' as her Papaw would say. Dan takes a small step toward her and smiles as they hold one another's gaze.

"Will you come to the benefit with me?" His voice was soft, his eyes softer.

"I don't have fancy clothes." Her heart tells her to go and forget about the work load while her mind told her it was a mistake.

"I don't care. You are beautiful just like that." It was the third time he had called her beautiful, that she could remember. She never had anyone tell her she was pretty or beautiful only the parent type beautiful her grandparents would tell her. How did she reply to his comment?

"Thank you." Her voice was barely auditable  speaking the only reply she knew.

"Anytime." She smiles and places her hand in his outstretched one. "Your truck or mine?"

Tylee shrugs. Dan laces his fingers through hers making fireworks explode through out her body.

"I doesn't matter to me as long as I get to drive." Dan smirks as she looks up at him with a small mischievous grin of her own. "Where are we going?"

Tylee and Dan both chuckle as they realize that they have just been walking with no destination. He turns them back to where her pickup is parked with Daisy on the console.

"Your truck? My truck?" He chuckles when she shrugs and rolls her eyes. "I'm not deciding."

"Then I guess we are walking." She some how managed enough courage to state it mater of factly and even smiled.

"You make this complicated." He teases, she gives him a innocent smile. "Yours is bigger and probably cleaner."

"Doubt it." She states giving him the 'you haven't seen it' look. "We can take it though."

"It can't get worse than mine, but taking yours sounds good." Dan opens the passenger side door for her and she gets in moving Daisy to the back seat. He goes around to his side and gets in realizing she has the keys. He glances over and she smiles before pointing to the sun shade, he pulls it down and a wad of keys gravitates to his lap. He glances at the keys and back to Tylee.

"Lock for each gate, house and barn." She shrugs. He smiles and finds the Dodge Ram key.

"We still have a little bit before the benefit starts, what would you like to do?" He asks glancing at her before back at the road. When she didn't answer he turns his gaze back to her and reads her like a book. "You don't want to go do you?"

"I.." Tylee doesn't finish her sentence.

"We don't have to go." He tells her slowing down and pulling off on a random dirt road.

"I get really bad social anxiety." She admits her head low, her eyes on her fingers.

"We don't have to go if you don't want. I'm glad you told me."

"I don't want to ruin your evening." She forces her eyes to look up and meet his. 

"You aren't going to ruin my evening by not wanting to go to a benefit. I would say that we could go to my place, but I live in a bunk house with a couple of other guys." His voice is soft and caring. 

"I know it's a long way, but we can go to my place." She offers the shy and timidness showing in her eyes killing Dan. He wants her to trust him and feel safe with him. Lord, guide me.

"I don't mind." His knees turn to quick sand as her smile lights up the cab.

Tylee feels like she is riding cloud nine. Father God, I have no idea what I am doing in a relationship. Direct me. She prays her smile never fading. Dan gets his pickup and follows her out to her house with a smile and a joyful heart. Dan pulls up beside her and opens her door as she unclips Daisy's leash. In the house they sit down on the couch beside one another.

"Do you want a job?" It was Tylee's voice, but her mind didn't tell her vocal cords to say that, the Lord did.

"You mean here?" Dan asks shocked at the out-of-the-blue question.

"Yes." She answers realizing exactly what just came out of her mouth.

"How do I answer that question?" He wraps his arm around her shoulder with a smile. "I would love to work here."

"Your hired." She mutters as she lays her head on his shoulder. He kisses her forehead and smiles; she feels so right in his arms.