Chapter 20

Dan's alarm clock rouses him from his restless slumber. His thoughts hadn't slowed down at all last night causing him to wake often. Stumbling to the bathroom he brushes his teeth and slips into his work clothes. After slapping together a sausage biscuit he heads out to his pickup and to Tylee's pens.

As he pulls up he notices that she and Brandon are already up and out to the barn. At the thought of her cousin his mind churns and he gets a guilty feeling. Maybe he shouldn't be mad at her for not telling him, but he could have helped her cope with him being in constant danger. Besides the fact that he specifically asked if she ever had family that she was close to. He sighs and cuts the engine, might as well get this day over with.

Tylee's head snaps up at the sound of a door closing. She sees Dan stumbling about making his way towards she and Brandon. She shakes her head, seems he didn't get anymore sleep than she did, but unlike him she was used to little sleep and lots of work. Resuming her task of changing a sled rung for a wooden wheel she feels him getting closer and turns her head towards him. "Yes?" She questions as his confusion filled eyes bore holes into her.

"Uh, what needs to be done today?" He asks.

She sets her wrench down, "Well I think we are halfway caught up so you can take the day off to do whatever the heck you want."

Dan stands stunned, not only was that the harshest thing she has ever said to him it hurt the way she said it, "Are you sure? I can go check on the cattle that are on the west side if you want."

Her shoulders rise a little, "Eh they will be okay. You look like you could use sleep."

Mentally scoffing he tries to hide the questions and hurt he feels. If only she knew the reason for the sleepless night, "Sleep isn't the most vital thing you need in life." He shrugs, "So what really needs to be done?"

Her head snaps up a fiery gaze meeting his sleepy one, "I don't know you tell me! And when you figure it out you can get Brandon to help you."

Her pounding footsteps are the only sound that is heard as Dan stands frustrated, worried, and utterly perplexed. He catches Brandon's raised eyebrows and cocky grin in the corner of his eye. What was that about? Did she really just snap at him? That was new and what did she mean 'you tell me'?

"I think he fell asleep standing up!" Brandon declares laughing as he claps Dan's shoulder. "So what is the drill 'round here?"

Dan pulls himself from the swirl of questions, "Uh, just depends."

"Right, so how about I go finish the sled project and you go figure out what she was talking about," Brandon tells him.

Dan sighs and trudges to the house. Sitting in the living room he throws his hat across the room, things just went from bad to worse. Things were great then Brandon showed up then she just told him to figure out what needed to be done, but that obviously meant more than ranch work.

Deciding that he needed to talk to her, even though he had no idea what he was going to say, he grabs his hat and heads back out the door. Grabbing his saddle and other tack he catches the first sound horse he comes to. Saddling he notices that one of the other horses is gone as well. That means she got a good start on him were ever she went.

Riding out first he checks the pond. The ice had a small crack in it, but it wasn't from some one being in it nor were there hoof prints besides his own. Next he checks the tree that her Papaw carved in, no tracks there either. Scratching his head he turns back to the house. Taking the long route he goes through the horse pasture. Spotting what looks like a horse laying on its side he urges his mount into a fast lope.

The closer he gets the farther his heart rises in his throat, Willow Wind. She was laying on her side breathing heavily. Jumping off his horse before it comes to a complete stop he yanks his phone from his pocket. "Come on Tylee, answer your phone." Sighing when it comes to her voice mail he waits for the beep. "Tylee you need to get to the horse pasture. Bring Brandon and the medical stuff."

Tylee flops in the loose hay residing in the loft. Hearing her phone she pulls it out to look at the name, Dan. Laying it in her lap she sighs, no reason to answer that one. Closing her eyes she tries to relax her mind and focus on the bible verses she always turns to. Be anxious in nothing, but in everything through prayer and petition make your request made known to God that he may give you the desires of your heart. Philippians 4:6-7 and She is clothed in strength and dignity she can laugh at things to come. Proverbs 31:25

"Tylee! This is not the time to be ignoring me." Dan yells throwing his phone back in his pocket and stepping back into the saddle. Spurring his horse barn ward he curses under his breath. Once at he barn he throws the reins down and runs in the barn.

"Brandon?! Get a horse saddled and call Tylee!" He yells throwing stuff around in the tack room.

Stomping feet on the loft stairs tells him someone is coming, "What does he need to call me for?"

He spins around grabbing the medicine kit while he does, "Get Brandon and y'all get the truck and trailer. Meet me in the horse pasture," He calls over his shoulder before spurring his horse back from where he came.

Puzzled she hooks up the trailer and heads to the house to find Brandon when her phone rings, "Yes?"

"Tylee I told you to get out here not piddle around this is serious!" Dan's voice booms across the line a high pitched squeal occupying it.

She gasps, "What's going on?"

"I'll fill you in when you get out here. I love you my Fawn." His voice was soft and meaningful warming her heart before the lien went dead.

"Brandon! Get your butt to the truck before I leave you!" She screams before running out the back door letting the door slam behind her. She hops in her pickup, starts the engine and puts it in gear. Giving Brandon one more chance she counts for ten. The passenger side door pops open on nine.

"Where are we going? What is happening? Where is Dan?" Brandon spiels.

She shakes her head pulling through the open gate at a unhealthy speed, "No clue."

She follows the hoof prints in the light sheet of snow. When the scene meets her eyes she feels tears  testing the flood gates, threatening to fall.