Chapter 19

Dan glances at the shotgun leaning in the corner by the door before opening the door. A uniformed soldier stands at the door his smile instantly dropping at the site of Dan. Puzzled expressions fall on both faces as they stand taking one another in. The uniformed man was average height with broad muscular shoulders the bark brown hair curling out from under the hat he wore resembled Tylee's.

"Did Tylee sell the ranch?" The soldier asks breaking the heavy silence.

Dan frowns, "No, she didn't. Hearts Bond isn't a ranch you stumble upon and you certainly don't find the house easily, what brings you out?"

Rage builds quickly on the man's face, "I'm here to see my cousin! What the heck are you doing here?"

The sudden yelling startles Dan as much as the fact he refers to Tylee as his cousin. "How about we introduce ourselves and we go from there." He offers trying to keep the peace that is vanishing quickly.

"Brandon Jackson."

"Dan Hargrove, Tylee's boyfriend and help." Dan steps aside and nods for Brandon to enter. Once the two are in the kitchen Dan pulls out his phone and calls Tylee.

She picks up on the sixth rings, "Hey Teddy Bear."

"Hey, um your cousin is here at the house," He tells her becoming slightly nervous.

"My cousin?" She questions.

Dan's eyebrows knit together, "That is what he said. Brandon help you out any?" A sudden shriek of excitement has him pulling the phone from his ear.

"Brandon is here?!" She exclaims with the sound of thundering hoof beats floating through with her voice.

Dan starts to answer but before he can the line ends.

"Where is she? What did she say?" Brandon quizzes his voice still harsh with supposition.

Dan shakes his head, "I don't know where she is, but she's is coming in."

Brandon nods and the two head to the barn. The sound of heavy breathing and hoof beats against the rolling plains turns their heads to the west where Tylee is pulling Willow Wind to a sliding stop. Once the horse is at a stop she jumps off and runs in their direction.

Brandon wants to wrap his little cousin, that he has always love and protected, in his arms, but his feet are glued to their spot in the frost bitten grass. Although she still has the same long brown hair she has grown up in the past two years he has been deployed. Her arms are more muscular and her grey eyes are shining brighter than he remembered. "You're so grown up," He mutters finally finding his voice.

"I've been grown up, Bran," She murmurs as he pulls her into a tight hug. When they release one another she meets Dan's confused gaze.

Brandon clears his throat, "How long has he been here?"

"Since fall works." She mutters feeling ashamed for not telling Dan and for not writing to Brandon more. Taking a deep breath she find her courage to speak, "I'm sorry, I know I should have told you about him, Dan. And I should have kept writing letters to you, Brandon."

"It's okay, my Fawn," Dan whispers wrapping his arms around her.

"I am going to go unsaddle Wind," She announces before scurrying off.

Brandon raises an eyebrow a smirk slipping to his face, "So things pretty serious then?" 

"Uh, yeah, I guess," He answers nerves making their rattling appearance inside his body.

"You guess, huh? Isn't that one of those things that you are suppose to be sure about?" Brandon grills leaving no question to his amusement with his smirk and relaxed stance. His cousin was happy so he was happy, but he still had to grill this guy.

Dan mentally shakes his head, he wasn't getting off easy this time. "Yeah I guess it is. Just taking life one step at a time."

"And one of those steps involves my cousin?"

Dan sighs, "If things continue as I have them in my head more than one of those steps involves her."

"Do you care to share those plans with me?" Brandon grills his arms crossed and one hand covering over his chin with a finger looping over his top lip.

His muscles tense, he just got this guys name and is expected to spill his life plans to him? "In all due respect I just met you." 

"In other words you don't believe that I am her cousin, or that I really care about your plans in life, or that I might want to help you out with those plans." With a firm nod Brandon turns back to the house calling that he was going to move his bags from the middle of the living room.

Dan's thoughts swirl clouding his thoughts. Was Brandon just saying that he wants to help him just to say it? Why hadn't Tylee told him about her cousin? Her sweet voice pulls him from the swirl of questions.

"Teddy Bear."

"Yes, my Fawn?" He smiles and wraps his arms around her.

She looks up to meet his eyes, "Are you mad at me for not telling you about Brandon?"

"No, I'm not mad at you, Fawn. Why didn't you tell me, though?" He asks his hands resting on her hips.

She takes a deep breath, "We had been writing letters back and forth for a while. Then I had sent a couple letters with no reply. I- I let Satan creep in and fill me with doubt. I didn't tell you about him because it still hurt that he wasn't here and I didn't know how he was," She meets his soft loving gaze.

He kisses her forehead, "It's okay. I think I am going to turn in for the night."

"Okay," She whispers before his lips peck hers. She watches as he drives away questions for both him and Brandon clouding her brain.

"You coming inside?" Brandon's voice brings her back to reality.

She turns slightly, "Yeah, just let me feed."

He gives her a quizzical look before nodding. She turns towards the barn and swings the door open, breathing in the sweet smell of horses and cattle. The scent settles the swirling thoughts momentarily. Willow Wind sticks her head out craning her neck to see who entered. Tylee smiles and rubs her horses forehead.

After taking her time in the feeding routine she grudgingly makes her way to the house. Finding Brandon on the couch she pulls her suddenly tired legs up the stairs. Hearing heavy steps behind her she stops in the middle of the hall.

"You aren't going to talk to me now?"

She sighs and shakes her head, "I don't know. I don't even know which way is North right now," She mutters.

"Should I just lodge on the couch?" He asks.

"Uh, you can stay in one of the old guest rooms," She answers turning to face him.

He looks at her quizzically, "Okay." He smiles a thought coming to his head. Early morning, make her breakfast, do her chores, make her rest. With his action plan in mind he turns to the guest room he always occupied as a child when he would visit Papaw and Granna.