Chapter 24

"Don't make a sound and nobody will get hurt," A gruff voice snarls into her ear. She sucks in a breath and recalls the self defense lessons Brandon had taught her. Where is Brandon anyway?! She adjusts her foot in her boot and prepares to aim. One, two, three, fire! Her leg curls back and her heel goes up aiming for any possible flesh. A groan escapes the victim letting her know she had succeeded. The rough hands drop from her face and she spins around.

"Dan Hargrove!" She spouts kicking him in the shin as he is doubled over holding his left thigh.

He straightens a smirk still resting on his lips. "I just couldn't resist."

"Yeah well you might want to have!" She exclaims jerking the drivers door open and jumping into the seat. She slams the door and hits the lock button. That drowned rat! He scared the living daylights out of me. A knock at the door makes her glance out the window, but she refuses to open the door.

Brandon laughs, "Well if she makes you walk home, I'll give you a ride."

Dan shrugs still wearing his smirk, "I ain't worried about it, at least I can go look at rings and not have to worry about her coming with me."

"You know that was a brave move considering you are wanting to propose."

Dan laughs. "She got me back so we're even."

"Tylee is pretty easy to call a truce with," Brandon comments.

Dan nods. "I am going to try and sneak over and see if Becca knows her ring size before I go look at rings."

Brandon bursts into fits of laughter, "I feel sorry for you! Trying to find out my cousin's ring size without straight out asking her? Good luck with that man, I don't even know that."

"Thanks for the encouragement!" Dan declares.

"Anytime! I am going to see if I can get her to let me in the cab of her truck and then take her to get me a new shirt. Maybe I can hold her off long enough you can get everything you need before we meet for lunch?" Brandon offers his smile still resting on his lips although his tone turns more serious.

Dan nods and extends his hand, "Thanks man, I really appreciate it!"

Brandon shakes his hand a mischievous look glimmering in his eyes. I can't wait to see his face! "You can take the car too, if you want."

"I am not really sure that I want to be seen in a tiny car."

"Well here are the keys if you decide you want to, see you at the restaurant in an two hours!" He calls over his shoulder after tossing the keys to Dan.

Dan shakes his head and shrugs, a tiny car beats walking. He scoots the seat back all the way before getting in and starting the engine. He creeps by Tylee's pickup picking up speed once out of site. He turns into the feed store parking lot, but immediately regrets it as the thought of Becca's torturing comes to mind. "Too late now," he mutters.

As he strolls through the door he tries to come up with a way to ask Becca for Tylee's ring size without telling her.

"Dan! Long time no see how are things?" The unmistakable voice declares.

He smiles. "Things have been wonderful, Miss Becca. How about for you?"

She drums her hands on the counter with a wide grin. "Couldn't be better! What can I help you with?"

He cringes knowing she is going to get it out of him. Think fast Dan! "Um, I was going to take a look at the jewelry you have."

She cocks an eyebrow. "What size?"

Dang it! What do I tell her now? "Um, well I'm not sure."

"Ah, well I think I can help you out with that. Just go hide in the back room and I will fix it," She assures him.

He pears at her quizzically.

"Just go! I know how to get Tylee to tell me her ring size with no suppositions," she declares.

He nods, "I am trusting you on this Becca Williams!"
***

Tylee glances at the passenger side door when there is a knock. She stares at her cousin for a long moment before throwing her hands in the air and unlocking the door. Brandon climbs in and shuts the door behind him, "I need your help."

"With?"

He smiles, "I want to get a new shirt for when I see mom."

Just then her phone rings, "Hello?"

"Tylee! Hey I just got this awesome new ring in and I want to see if you can wear it," Becca's unmistakable voice exclaims.

She shakes her head trying to take in what her friend just said, "Becca, what makes you think that I want to wear a ring that you just found?"

"Tylee, please just come check it out!"

Tylee runs her hand across her face. "Okay, I will be over in a few minutes." She hangs up and looks at Brandon.

"Let's go!" He declares a smile gracing his lips.

She glares daggers at him before putting her pickup in reverse and backing out of the parking lot. As she pulls up to the feed store a long breath escapes her lips. Glancing at Brandon she gets out and enters the store. She spots Becca standing at the display case.

"Hey! I got this in and thought you would like it," Becca says holding out a small box.

Tylee smiles a very smile, "It's beautiful, but that's not my size."

"Oh! What size do you wear?" Becca exclaims a giddy feeling rising up in her.

"Eight."

Becca's smile grows giving Tylee a suspicious feeling, "I have one right here!" She pops up from behind the counter.

Tylee takes the ring from her and slides it onto her right ring finger, "Fits great! So why did you need me to try the ring on?"

"I needed to get a second opinion on it because I just ordered it."

Tylee cocks an eyebrow and stares intently at her friend. Becca doesn't usually have to have a second opinion and why is she being so secretive? She shrugs it off and embraces a smile, "So, I have to go, but I'll be back to get the usual."

"Yeah of course!"

Tylee smiles in curiosity and waves as she exits the door. She climbs back in the drivers seat and peers at the over joyed Brandon that quickly becomes sober. Shaking her head she starts the engine. Why is everyone sneaking around and being all jumpy? For pete's sake! I am not going to bite!
***

Dan smiles and gazes over the many rings in the display case. None of them look like Tylee. He picks up one that has caught his eye many times, but something about it just didn't fit Tylee. What is it that doesn't fit? He turns it over in his hand and glances up as Bill walks in.

"Ah, you are finally going to ask her!" Bill declares clapping Dan's shoulder.

Dan smiles, "Yes sir."

The older gentleman thinks a moment before speaking, "I have something that you might like." He goes to the desk in the back of the store, "I had forgotten about it till now," he says walking back up to Dan a ring sitting in the palm of his hand.

"It's beautiful," Dan murmurs gently holding it between two fingers.

Bill nods, "It was her grandmother's. Benjamin, her grandfather, traded me it for a stud I had when they first moved here. Her grandmother said it was too fancy for her anyway." He chuckles, "She was just as excited about the horse as he was. I think it would mean a lot to Tylee to have it."

Dan smiles imaging the scene from what he knew about the couple. He meets the older man's soft gaze, "Thank you, it is perfect."