Blushing

" Emma get your damn phone!" Amy yells from the kitchen. I was so exhausted I couldn't even hear my phone. I sit up groggily and look at my phone. It's my uncle. I answer the phone and answer "yes" and "ok" to almost everything. I get out of bed and walk into the kitchen. Where Amy and Conrad are standing eating a huge plate of eggs. "Your dad wants you guys home. Where's Carson?" I asked.
"Probably at Hadley's" Conrad answers with a mouthful of orange juice. Hadley's was the local coffee shop that Carson works at. He's the youngest of all of us at 15. He's been working at Hadley's doing little things for two years now.
"I'll call him" Amy says dragging out her old flip phone. I walk back down the hallway into my mom's bedroom where she is doing her makeup. I honestly didn't remember much of last night but I didn't forget John. Sitting on the bed is Terrence asking her if he could get some cash to help with books.
"You're such a nerd" I say walking in and sitting on the bed next to him.
" hey Emma, how was last night?" Mom asks. What am I supposed to tell her? That I drank and got a ride home from a stranger?
"Fine" I reply.
" then where's your car?" Terrence asks in a jerkish way.
"Candace drove me home last night. I was so tired I didn't want to drive "
" whatever" Terrence says standing up and walking out. What a jerk.
" I want you to get that car today Emma" mom says. She stands up and sits next to me with a grin and rollers in her hair. I giggle at the sight.
"So who is he?" She asks grabbing my hand.
What? Did she see us? I can't remember getting in last night.
"Who?" I ask nervously.
"I can tell you met somebody. What's his name?"
" John"
" you are going to see him aren't you?" She asks smiling. But then she says"I haven't seen you like this since you first met Carter."
I snatch my hand away immediately breaking the opening I was having with my mother. She was right. I was glowing. Tired and sick but glowing inside, happy, excited about it all. I know I had only met him once but I can't even explain it.
"Mom, I'll see where it goes. I'll let you know"
I stand up and walk out and back to my room.
Candace calls on video chat.
"How's the cute boy you left with last night?" She immediately asks.
"I wouldn't know, I haven't heard from him today." I say blushing.
" girl text him. I've got basketball but text him. Please!" She says hanging up. Why the hell not?
I pull up my contacts and hit his name. My heart starts pounding.
I type "thanks for the ride" and hit send. No response. I decided To go ahead and take a shower and get ready to get my mind off of it, it doesn't work.

****
The whole day was done and it was already Sunday. I hear my phone ringing. I sit up still half asleep and grab my phone. I look at the caller ID. It's John. But I also see its five in the morning. I slide the button to answer. On the other end a deep voice says " meet me outside" I have goosebumps. I jump out of bed and throw on my white shorts and blue "I'm officially a senior" t-shirt and run outside. Across the street I see his dark figure standing against his truck in the dusk.
As I walk up his face becomes more clear. Still handsome as ever. "What are you doing here?" I ask shakily. There's a moment of silence before he shifts onto his left foot and his green and blue plaid shirt shifts revealing his white tank-top underneath and a glance of his shoulder.
"I came to ask you on a date" he says with a grin.
"At five in the morning?" I ask.
"Yes or no?"
"Sure " I head back to the house when he hollers across the lawn saying "you're welcome" and then winks. Man what a feeling. Blushing, I fall back asleep.