Turn Around

"Hey, Emily, have you told Alex yet?" I asked standing in the crowded hallway of Lincoln high. It has been three days since Emily broke the news of being pregnant. Wow, that's weird to say. She closes her locker door and leans against it. She gives a big huff, blowing her hair out of her face. "I told him, he freaked out, left, then came back and apologized."
"Ok, have y'all decided what you want to do?"
"I don't know Emma. I haven't even told my mom yet. I don't know what I want to do. My dad is going to kill me. I just.... Didn't imagine this would be my senior year."
I didn't know what to say. I didn't think this would be our senior year either. I didn't think any of this would happen, but it is happening. We can't change that.
"I'll help you in any way I can. Let me know whenever you decide and I'll help you with whatever it is. Come over tonight and we can talk." I say reassuringly. I was really freaking out inside, but I couldn't let her know that.
"Don't you have something with John?" She asks shuffling her books around in her arms.
"Yes, but my friends come first. He can hold off another night." She grins and walks away. As the bell rings I run towards calculus. My least favorite part of the day.
I couldn't focus on anything that Ms.Jacent was saying, and I wasn't , honestly interested. I was already acing the class, I had more issues to worry about like Vanderbilt, who still hasn't called, John who I might be having strong feelings for, and most of all my best friend, who needed me most, especially now.

The day drug on, and on, and on. Finally it was 4:00 and I was home doing homework and checking the mail and answering machines every minute practically, hoping a message from Vanderbilt was coming. I call John to tell him I could make it tonight because I had a "best friend emergency." Around five O'clock, Emily shows up... Smiling. Yes, smiling. She walks into my bedroom where I had 3 text books, a binder, two pens, and a notebook spread across my bed. She sits on the laughy face emoji bean bag across from my bed.
"I told her. I told my mom. She wasn't mad really. Apparently she got pregnant with me when she was seventeen....with my dad"
"What? Wait so what are you going to do?" I ask on shock of how she was handling this.
"I still don't know, I know adoption is an option, as well as keeping it." Her face started to slope down like she was loosing a little of her happiness. She stands up and walks over to my bed. She shoves the binder and the history text book to the side and sits down facing me.
"Emma, I'm sorry I wasn't there much for your break up with Carter. I didn't think it was that big of a deal, but I see how you react any time you hear his name. I'm sorry. I'm going to need you through this, no matter what I choose to do. Candace and I are close, but you've been practically a sister for me since we were little."
I swallow the tears I want to pour out, she was right I did need her in that time. But now she needs me, and I'm going to be there.
"You know I'll be there. You know I'll go to see parents with you for adoption or be there to watch my little 'niece or nephew' whenever you need me."
"Ok, to a little happier thing....anything from Vanderbilt?" She asks.
"Nope" right as I look down at my endless amounts of schoolwork the phone rings. I jump up and run to the living room and pick up the phone.
"Hello?"
"Hello, this is Mr.Brown, from Vanderbilt"
"Oh yes!" I say trying to hide my excitement but I just couldn't.
"I was calling for a follow-up on our interview earlier. You have a very impressive application. And we would love to see you again. Please look out in the mail. Have a good day mam'"
"Thank you!" I throw the phone down and jump around.
"They liked me! They liked me!" I scream. Emily runs into the living room. She already knew what it was. "OMG! You're in???"
"I think so!" I say smiling from ear to ear. This was amazing. It seems like my life is making a huge turn around. And I'm happy about it.