Lets Try This Again

Five missed calls later, I finally decide to answer one of John's phone calls. It's been two days since everything happened with Carter. From what I know about him and Meredith, they're probably back in Texas by now, screwing with someone else's life. Todd is back to normal, or well his normal. Blaring music, ignoring everyone, but every once in a while I'll pass him in the hallways and he gives me this look.
Like a " are you ok?" Look. I grin and walk on. "Hello?" I say in a neutral tone. I'm not mad at John. I understand where he's coming from with his not wanting to get his dad hurt. Although, he seemed kind've wimpy when he ran out like that. And most of all, it scared me. It scared me into feeling like he might hurt me. Maybe the same or even more than Carter did.
"I'm sorry" John says in a shaky voice. He sounded just alike in all of his voice mails. Just texts are even nervously written.
"John, I took care of Carter. Well Todd and I took care of him. I understand you got nervous when he came around your dad, but I can't put myself in another situation to get hurt again. I love you John, but I need some time to think." I hit the end call button and put my phone down. I stand up in my ratty sweatpants and blue tank top. I walk out of my room and into the living to see my mom sitting in hair rollers and a green dress.
"What are you getting dolled up for?" I ask with a grin. My mom is really pretty. Especially when she gets fixed up. Her brunette hair always curled perfectly and her makeup done just right. I look nothing like her. "I have a date tonight." She says smiling back. Since my mom and dad divorced, when I was ten, she had only dated one guy and he was super weird. They only went out twice.
"Oh a date? Who with?" I ask plopping on the couch next to her.
"A guy I met at the bank about a week ago. I didn't want to tell you guys until I knew we were for sure going out."
"What's his name? What's he look like?"
"Mark Moleeni, he's dark skinned, dark hair, amazing smile"
"Sounds like you've snagged a cute one this time" I laugh. I stand up and head towards the kitchen. I turn on my heels and say " mom, about Friday, I'm sorry we all freaked you out. I had just had enough of Carter. Todd just wanted to help."
"I understand Emma, next time you lose your cool, just tell me"
"Good luck tonight, you deserve a good guy"
"So do you" she says standing up and walking to her bedroom.
I lean against the counter thinking about John. Sure he's not perfect, but neither am I. He couldn't help it that I came with baggage of a messed up ex and a mended heart. What do I do from here?

****
'Meet me after you're out of school please. I need to see you' John's text reads. Hesitantly I type 'where?' John just got out of highschool a year ago so he mainly just worked at the diner hoping to be able to afford college soon. Maybe it's not a good idea. Maybe I'm being dumb. But I want to see him. I want to work this out. I can't let my walls keep me from everything.

I drag through the rest of the day and finally get a text from John. It reads 'go to the place we first met' I drive to the club and find a note on the bench we were sitting on. It reads 'go to the first place I told you I loved you' I drive to the diner and climb up the ridge and find roses lying all over the ground are perfect pink roses. I pick two of them up and find another note that reads, now turn around and see the fool that let you go. Teary-eyed I turn around to see John standing in khaki pants, a black button up shirt, and black shoes on. He's smiling and holding his arms out.
I run to him and hug him dropping the two roses. Crying we sit on the ground still hugging one another. My head pressed against his chest he says "I'm an idiot, my dad made sure and tell me that as well as your brother. I'm sorry Emma. I do really love you. Could you ever forgive me?"
Usually I would have never let a guy back in after all of this. I would have hidden and cried and then moved on. But this time it can't be that way. I love him to. I look up and him and smile. I put my hands around his face and he smiles. I kiss him and then look at him "I agree, you're an idiot" I say smiling. He stands up and reaches for my hand. We walk down the hill and to his truck. We get in and he drives me to the same place we had our first date at.
He gets out and lays a blanket out and brings out a basket with a burger and fries in it with a plate of chocolate chip cookies on it.
"Your favorite" he says brushing his brown hair back with his fingers. He isn't perfect but he's perfect for me. With his flaws, his amazing looks, his loving heart, and his craziness.
"I'm not hungry right now" I say sliding on the the bed of his truck. He sits the basket down and sits next to me. In this big open field it is just us.
Him and I. No one else around to cause problems, bother us, see us. Just us. I pull his collar and pull him closer to kiss him. I had sex with Carter twice. And it was horrible because he was a horrible guy. But John's different, and I want him. In every way I want him.

And I got him!