Price: Unravel

(Price: unedited)

“Hey. Hey! Hey, mister!”

Price spun around with a jolt, lurching to the side as a projectile whirled towards him, narrowly missing his head. He watched the basketball land at the bottom of the hoop, and roll quietly into the bleachers. “What the –”

“Sorry. You shoulda been looking, bro.” One of the middle school boys from the recreational basketball team, which had currently besieged the gym with sweat and shouting, smirked at him. Obviously a coaching kid, he had two swerving lines of acne down his face, and a confident swing to his walk as he ducked around Price to retrieve the ball.

Price shook his head. “Sorry.” He muttered. Thoughts occupied, he had been looking for Jewel, a small head of platinum curls that had been swallowed up by the runners on the track above the gym. His eyes scanned the mass of bobbing heads. It was so easy to lose track of his little sister these days. She seemed to disappear, fade into the woodwork. After their talk the other day, he thought that some progress, at least, had been made. She had been smiling, talking, laughing when he left her. But the next morning…silence. Again. Another glass shattered, another glimmer of happiness lost.

He just couldn’t understand where, time and time again, he was failing her.

Tonight was supposed to be a treat. Getting out of the house, from underneath Lily’s tired gaze. He had left Jewel for one moment at the entrance of the track, and now she was gone. Desperate, he had wandered down to the basketball court. The only thing that greeted him was a long line of skinny kids, tossing basketballs back and forth, screaming good natured profanities when they missed a shot.

“Price.” When he looked up, it was Jewel. She clung to the railing above, mouth straining to say his name.

“Kid!” He rushed out of the gym, up the flight of stairs, and onto the looping indoor track. Jewel scurried towards him, eyes huge.

“Lost.” She started to cry. “Lost.”

“Yeah, you almost were, kiddo. Don’t do that again. Okay?”

She was shaking her head. One little hand reached towards him and grasped the leg of his sweatpants. “Ariel.” She whispered. “Ariel.”

Price frowned. What did Ariel have to do with being lost? Unless, of course, Jewel was on another one of her “disappearing” rants. Then he saw it – a head of black hair, cutting into a sharp, white chin. Skin and bones encased in yoga pants. She was running the opposite direction, rounding the far corner of the track, gaze focused on her feet. Her pace seemed to slow as she drew nearer to him. Was she afraid?

Of me. That had to be why, when she jogged up to him, she jogged past him. It was as if she didn’t even see him, or his sister. Jewel started to cry again, great, gulping sobs.

“Ariel. Ariel.” She wrapped both hands around Price’s leg, pulling herself towards him. Her breath was heavy and warm on his calf. Tears soaked through his pants.

His heart rate increased. Why was she ignoring them? Afraid. Jewel’s words echoed around in his brain. Had Charliegh told her? Was this it, then – the only hope for his little sister, stolen by his selfish actions? Gathering his pride, he set his jaw. “Stay here, kid.”

“Kay.” Jewel didn’t protest as he pulled her back, setting her against the wall.

“Right here. Understand?”

“Kay. Help.” She said.

“I guess so.” Price looked up to find Ariel rounding the loop again, starting down a straight stretch on the other side. He jogged in the opposite direction of the track lines, bumping into runners. Ariel didn’t see him until he was right in front of her. She was unusually pale – even for her, she was pale. Her cheeks were blotchy, and her teeth had bitten so harshly into her lower lip that blood dotted her chin.