Chapter 17

Sylvia sat there against the cave wall, keeping as far away from her captor as possible, glaring at him from across the fire. Keil had returned late that night with a freshly caught rabbit for dinner, which he had promptly turned into a boiling stew. Now he sat there sharpening his knife, not looking concerned about her imprisonment in even the least bit.

Escape was clearly impossible in this situation, due to the giant scaly beast that had been watching the cave exit all day. After a few failed attempts Sylvia had been forced to give up on her efforts for the day. Though she did manage to accomplish the fixing of her tattered dress before Keil returned. She had no idea to what purpose it had been undone, but she did not want her kidnapper getting any more ideas than he already had planned. So, she had used her trusty thread and needle, which had luckily remained in her apron pocket, to patch the fabric back together. The dress felt a bit crooked and uneven now, but it would just have to do until she could get out of this mess. Until then, she supposed all that was left was to survive.

But why? Why would Keil do this? How could he do this? Was this truly how he planned to repay her after she had saved his very life!?

"I cannot believe this is how you would treat me, even after I saved your life!" She snapped aloud.

Keil looked up at her briefly, almost like he wanted to say something. Though eventually he chose to just return to his task without any sort of reply. Not that she would be able to understand him even if he had.

"I hate you Keil! I wish you would die!" She shouted, frustration overtaking her again.

He scoffed and rolled his eyes, sensing her malice despite not fully understanding her words.

"I will find a way to escape Keil. I absolutely refuse to marry the likes of you!" She declared angrily.

Keil made no acknowledgment at all this time, focusing all his attention solely on the rabbit soup he was cooking. Sylvia just crossed her arms and continued scowling at him through the dim light of the fire, hurt and desperation rising in her.

"I hate you so much! I wish I could kill you myself!" She hissed.

Keil ignored her again, not even making eye contact this time as he worked to clean the rabbit furs and lay them out to dry. She watched him intently, not missing a single movement as he worked around the cave in silence. Anxious anticipation ate away at her mind, fearing his coming over to take advantage of her now that night had fallen.

After about an hour he came back towards the cave's rear to check on the pot of soup. Sylvia felt her stomach growl as she watched him take a sip of the hot and meaty stew. Keil immediately met her hungry stare with a look of smug satisfaction, his eyes seeing right through her current vulnerable state. She quickly looked away from his gaze with shame and embarrassment, not wanting him to see anymore of her weaknesses. She heard him ready a bowl of the soup, indicating the meal's completion. Her stomach tormented her again, but she refused to swallow her pride and beg for any such needed sustenance. She would rather starve to death than to ask her kidnapper for single bite! Especially since he was probably just planning to have his way with her later...

Just then, Sylvia heard Keil's footsteps again. Her head snapped up with surprise, watching warily as he came over and set a bowl of the soup down before her. She shot him a confused scowl, wondering at his game. He only chuckled, seeing right through her proud anger. Then he got up and returned to his seat, enjoying his own food as he watched for her to join in eating.

Sylvia clenched her fists with rage, hating how very arrogant he was towards her helplessness. However, she could not exactly deny her own painful hunger so easily. She glared back at her kidnapper with seething hatred and spite, but quickly found herself giving into the gesture he had extended. She reached for the bowl and reluctantly started eating, unable to endure such a torturously delicious aroma any longer. She gulped the liquid down in a matter of seconds, relief washing over her as the soup hit her stomach and filled her hunger. The stew even tasted pretty good, which only added to her mounting frustration. Afterwards she tossed the bowl down, hoping to hide her enjoyment of the first hot and satisfying meal she had experienced in years.

"That was disgusting Keil. The worst thing I have ever eaten!" She spat with obvious disdain.

Keil chuckled at her defiant reaction, not looking even slightly convinced of her lie. Sylvia crossed her arms and glared back at him stubbornly, determined to hurt his pride or his feelings in some way tonight, like he already had hers.

"What would you know anyway? You are just a stupid foreigner!" She scoffed.

Just then, her stomach let out another loud growl, betraying her act completely. She blushed with embarrassment as she saw Keil struggling to hold in an amused laugh. She turned away to face the wall with shame, unable to even face his taunting gaze. That's when she suddenly heard him get up and come near to her.

"Go away! Do not touch me!" Sylvia snapped with fear.

She looked back to watch warily as Keil leaned down and grabbed the empty bowl she had thrown, only to walk away and then return with another helping of hot soup for her.

"San," (Eat.) He said gently, setting it down before her again.

Sylvia looked at him with confusion for the hundredth time that day. His expression was so soft and caring at times like this, yet his actions were so barbaric and cruel! Just what did he want from her? Why couldn't he leave her alone already!?

She spun away from him in anger, frustrated tears running down her cheeks again. "How could you do this to me Keil? I thought you were different! I thought we were friends!" She sobbed, true hurt in her words.

"Sylvia..." Keil sighed, sounding nearly distressed by her tone.

Sylvia turned back to face him again, every emotion possible swarming within her. "What Keil? Why are you doing this? Tell me what you mean!" She screamed.

In an instant her face was in his hands again, his lips already pressed up against hers in another surprise kiss. His hold was a bit gentler than last time, so she just sat there limply in his arms, knowing that there really wasn't anything she could do to stop him anyways. After a long moment Keil pulled away to look at her with a burning frustration in his red eyes. Sylvia averted her gaze, refusing to give him any satisfaction for this moment.

"Sylvia...ne furgo lu..." (Sylvia...I love you...) He whispered, stroking her face with his right thumb.

She was momentarily caught off guard by his gentle tone of voice, but she quickly recovered and tried to shake him off.

"Please, just leave me alone," She pleaded quietly.

Keil nodded and immediately released her, though he seemed disappointed by this turn in events. Afterwards he got up and walked back over to his tasks near the rabbit skins, saying nothing more to her for the entirety of the evening. After a little while Sylvia ate the second bowl of soup and laid herself down on the ground, covering up with the blanket he had left her, the very one she had brought for him so many nights ago. She cried silent tears that night until she fell asleep, cursing the fateful day they had met.