{4}

{4~The Sorting}

It was the night of the sorting, and the Great Hall stared back at Hermione in a way she never thought it would before. The doors faced her, and on her left sat the headmaster of the school. She could hear many students coming in, and as her hands dug into the wood of the table, the man next to her noticed her fingers turning white because of the action. Her sleeves were long and elegant, a dress and robes that would be her attire every day for as long as she taught. After Severus had shown Hermione her office, she had changed and readied with her house-elf.

"Hermione?"

She looked over, her eyes wide at Severus's sudden speech.

"Hm?"

"I do not appreciate claw marks in my table... Past that, they are merely students; you have no need to fear them."

Hermione swallowed and gave him a curt nod, noticing the sheer concern he had for her. On his other side, however, perkily rested the blonde muggle-studies professor. She was practically perched on the chair, looking eager to start the school year. Hermione wished she was that excited.

Just past her she saw Draco, and she immediately wished she had been able to talk to him, but they all had sat down and quickly were awaiting the students. She was sure she'd get to speak to him eventually, especially when the holidays came. Just past him was Flitwick, and on Hermione's other side were a few teachers she didn't really talk to, then Carthenius and Neville.

Finally, the students entered and sat down, leaving room for the first-years as they filled in the expansive tables, the Great Hall no longer empty, but still somehow just as silent. Her eyes recognized a few familiar seventh-year faces, but not many. They'd all grown up. Then again, so had many people after the war. Everyone was at peace now, all was well, but some were still hurt from death and destruction.

"Neville, if you please," Severus motioned to the doors to the Great Hall, "We have first years to be sorted!"

The man walked about, his strut drawing the attention of many seventh-year girls, but Hermione tired not to notice. She smiled down to her right at Carthenius before Neville's open seat and he smiled back, charmingly enough.

When the talented herbology professor escorted the first-years in, he told them all what McGonagall had, and eventually they began to sit at the benches. The first house to gain a new student was Ravenclaw, Slytherin following, and Hufflepuff just after. When all was said and done, there were nine new Gryffindors, six Slytherins, eleven Hufflepuffs, and four Ravenclaws added to the already large slew.

Hermione was baffled as she looked at the nine Gryffindors, their eyes shining as hers, Harry's, and Ron's had one day. One day thirteen years ago. It felt like forever, honestly, after they'd been through so much in so little time. So long ago, but her thoughts occupied her  attention until Severus hushed the crowd and began his speech.

"Welcome to Hogwarts. Just a few perimeters first. One, the Dark Forest is forbidden to every student and staff member of the school unless escorted by our gate-keeper, Rubeus Hagrid. And second, all students will be treated with the utmost respect, points will be deducted for any who find themselves out of line. Last, but not least, I would like to admit a fine welcome to one of my previous students, Hermione Granger-" a large scare of murmurs broke out as he spoke the brilliant name, "in her acceptance of Professor McGonagall's old post as Transfiguration professor."