{20}

{20~An Introduction}

A/N
I never do this, (put authors notes before the chapter) but I am SO PISSED BECAUSE I WROTE THIS CHAPTER AND WATTPAD DELETED IT. NOT OKAY. Anyways, I hope you enjoy my half-assed attempt to recreate what I had written prior to this tragic incident. That is all.

There was a murmur in the hall, one that was exuberant and blunt. Of course they were all taking about the suddenly cancelled potions classes and just exactly where Professor Malfoy was. The most radical option Severus had heard from the gaggle of students was that he'd run off to some foreign country to elope with a werewolf. Obviously false, he stood from the Professor's table and watched as all eyes turned on him, thousands of pairs full of curiosity.

Tactfully, he had to explain this. Tactfully.

"As I am sure you all know, Professor Malfoy was not here today for a very specific reason. His fiancée is very sick and needs to be tended to at all times. Therefore," he drawled, hoping to impose the severity of respect towards the temporary Professor, "I will be introducing to you a substitute for Mister Malfoy. A prior student, a single year above Professors Malfoy, Longbottom, and Granger is Vance Mathis. You all will meet him tomorrow, yet I had believed he would be here tonight for—" Severus was stopped short when doors creaked open, and the school's caretaker walked in behind a tall and proud wizard.

Hermione looked him up and down, the man waltzing forward with a bit of a rush.

"I do apologize," his gait was proper and exquisite had you asked the older girls in the school, "I meant to make it to dinner on time, but my broom was giving me trouble."

He wasn't attempting to show off, it was obvious the way he blushed as everyone stared at him. Handsome features and long, brown hair was a prominent feature under proper, sharp, wizarding robes. Blue eyes were blended into his light complexion. Severus merely thought he was normal-looking, but judging the way Gilda and Hermione's gazes raised, he had to surmise further. Severus certainly wasn't going to rate the wizard, that was in no way his place.

"Professor Mathis, any words for the student body in lieu of your short time here?" Severus asked the man right on the spot, a sort of stunned look on his face.

"Uh," he smoothed down his robes and shook his head, "No thank you, but I appreciate this opportunity greatly."

Severus smiled. He knew he'd hired him for a reason, the wizard was humble and kind, appreciating what he had or got.

"He will be here until the end of term, and I greatly remind you that respect is of the highest value you can show. Just because one is temporary in your life does not mean that you can disregard your manners."

With that, Severus took to commencing dinner, happy to see that Carthenius was already engaging the wizard. Poor bloke, Severus knew for a fact that Mathis wasn't what Carthenius was, and he hoped the wizard didn't get too attached. It wasn't his place, and Hermione pulled his attention to her anyways.

"When did this happen?" She asked him, confused and worried all at once, "Is everything okay? You nor Draco told me a thing."

Severus stilled. Had he not told her? The ice she was trying to hide in her voice was a heavy indication he'd forgotten to inform her first. This was his school, however, and he was going to run it the way he saw fit. Even if that meant not informing his witch of every move he made. Of course, had Hermione heard those words in his head, he would be getting more than ice in her voice from him.

"I simply made the decision as all headmasters would. This is my school, Hermione." And then he'd stupidly said them out-loud.

She narrowed her eyes, a look of wondering what had gotten under his skin filling those amber eyes of hers.